Validity of PR under new rule

Old Oct 20th 2002, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

mark007007007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Validity of PR under new rule

I got my Canadian PR and landed in Canada on 25 AUG 2001 and was back in the US on 30 AUG 2001. My PR was valid till Sept 30 th 2001 (date of my medicals) and hence i decided to land and come back to US.

My US employer wanted me to stay on and work in the US office till OCT 2001 before he could transfer me to office in Canada. Months go by and my employer couldn't tranfer me to office in Canada till now (OCT 2002) as there were no openings in Canadian office. However last week I was told that there may be openings in Canadian office and my mgr wants to know if I am still interested to work in Canada.

I am very keen on immigrating and settling in Canada as I feel Canada is better place than US in some ways. However I am not sure if my Canadian PR is still valid. Under the Old rule, my PR would have become invalid by 1st Feb 2002 (6 months away from Canada). I didn't apply for a returning resident permit either.

My question is, is my Canadian PR still valid ? IS there any way I can check to confirm the validity of my PR status ?

The new rule states that i have to be in country for 2 yrs in the past 5 years. But does this apply to people who have immigrated earlier and have been away from Canada for over 15 months.

Please advise and if you have heard of any cases where there were any problems in re-entering to Canada in cases like mine.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks, Mark
Old Oct 20th 2002, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Validity of PR under new rule

yes its still valid...

Originally posted by mark007007007:
I got my Canadian PR and landed in Canada on 25 AUG 2001 and was back in the US on 30 AUG 2001. My PR was valid till Sept 30 th 2001 (date of my medicals) and hence i decided to land and come back to US.

My US employer wanted me to stay on and work in the US office till OCT 2001 before he could transfer me to office in Canada. Months go by and my employer couldn't tranfer me to office in Canada till now (OCT 2002) as there were no openings in Canadian office. However last week I was told that there may be openings in Canadian office and my mgr wants to know if I am still interested to work in Canada.

I am very keen on immigrating to Canada. However I am not sure if my Canadian PR is still valid. Under the Old rule, my PR would have become invalid by 1st Feb 2002 (6 months away from Canada). I didn't apply for a returning resident permit either.

My question is, is my Canadian PR still valid ?

The new rule states that i have to be in country for 2 yrs in the past 5 years. But does this apply to people who have immigrated earlier and have been away from Canada for over 15 months.

Please advise and if you have heard of any cases where there were any problems in re-entering to Canada in cases like mine.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks, Mark