Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Validation of PR and moving to canada

Validation of PR and moving to canada

Old Jul 2nd 2018, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Validation of PR and moving to canada

Hi, my application for PR has been approved and have a deadline to arrive in Canada. I am still nowhere near ready to move and still in the process of selling my apartment. Just wanted to check if I can arrive in Canada for a week to validate the PR, then go back and sort out everything in UK and then make the move in 6 months or so, hopefully with the added security of a job offer.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validation of PR and moving to canada

Originally Posted by UKexpat82
Hi, my application for PR has been approved and have a deadline to arrive in Canada. I am still nowhere near ready to move and still in the process of selling my apartment. Just wanted to check if I can arrive in Canada for a week to validate the PR, then go back and sort out everything in UK and then make the move in 6 months or so, hopefully with the added security of a job offer.
update: reading other messages on forum it looks like this is possible. When I “soft land” for a week what would you recommend I get set up? I’m thinking about medical, social no. bank account and drivers license.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 8:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

and

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Arriv...Do_List-Canada

Most of the things you've mentioned you can't do until you're actually resident in Canada.

HTH and welcome to BE.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Ok great, thanks.

Old Jul 2nd 2018, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

What Christmasoompa said. All you can really do on the soft lansing trip is get a SIN number from a Services Canada office, then once you have that, open a Canadian bank account.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, will I be able to get SiN on the day, or does this take a bit of time to sort out?
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, will I be able to get SiN on the day, or does this take a bit of time to sort out?
Depending where you land or the office you go to it can be done on the same day. Pearson it can be done at the airport. You will need the COPR if going to s Service Canada office.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I’ll likely be flying into Vancouver
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I’ll likely be flying into Vancouver
YVR doesn't have an office, there are several Service Canada offices around greater Vancouver so any one could be easiest to use, just search for your nearest. You'll need passport, CoPR, and any address (if you don't have one they can put you in as the post office). You'll get a printout immediately of your SIN, they don't issue plastic cards anymore.

Edit: Oh, and since you'll be in BC, that also confirms that you definitely won't be doing a driving licence exchange on a soft landing, since that requires both an address (for them to mail the photocard to) and your PR Card (as ICBC don't accept a CoPR as proof of status due to it not having any security features).
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks so much for all the input. This is really helpful information