Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

To use an immigration company or not??

To use an immigration company or not??

Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:04 am
Just Joined

jon and linda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To use an immigration company or not??

Hello

We have had a consultation with an immigration company who quoted us about £9000 for the 4 of us for the process. My husband is a HGV driver and is guaranteed a job, as the company works inconjuction with a few HGV compaines and is guaranteed $1000 per week, once he has taken his test, which the consultant said would be a couple of hundred pounds (not that we are entirely convinced!) We are looking to move to Alberta.

Any advice for us?
Thanks
Jon and Linda
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To use an immigration company or not??

Originally Posted by jon and linda
Hello

We have had a consultation with an immigration company who quoted us about £9000 for the 4 of us for the process. My husband is a HGV driver and is guaranteed a job, as the company works inconjuction with a few HGV compaines and is guaranteed $1000 per week, once he has taken his test, which the consultant said would be a couple of hundred pounds (not that we are entirely convinced!) We are looking to move to Alberta.

Any advice for us?
Thanks
Jon and Linda
Most people are able to go through the process on their own.

Check the Wiki on the top of the forum page (blue bar) plenty of useful information there to get you started.

Just in addition there is a trucking forum on this site which may help for your husbands career related questions.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

We used paul wildy for our PR, family of 3 came nowhere near the price you were qouted, they did a terrific job for us and I would definately recommend them... also, I would advice using a consultant, they get it done fast and correct the 1st time,,,
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Any advice for us?
Thanks
Jon and Linda
£9000?!? Bloody hell, that's ludicrous. Any normal immigration consultant would normally be in the region of $3-4k (NOT pounds!) for a family, so £9k is absolute madness. What exactly are they proposing to do for that, presumably going over on a TWP and then applying for PR via the AINP?

Do note that it's illegal in Canada for any company to charge you anything for helping you to find a job, so if part of the fee is for that then steer well clear (although steer clear anyway because they're 5 times the price of most other consultants!).

If you do want to use a consultant (most on the forum don't, unless you have complicated circumstances there's no need), then make sure they're registered with ICCRC and choose a cheaper one.

HTH a bit, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 4th 2013 at 8:26 am.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice for us?
£9000?

RUN for the door.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:43 am
Just Joined

PWaring is an unknown quantity at this point

It wasn't Global Visa's was it?

If so I suggest staying well away.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PWaring
It wasn't Global Visa's was it?

If so I suggest staying well away.
Possible, but for that level of fees I suspect it was another oft derided consultancy firm that are known throughout the industry for charging far too much and not providing a proper service.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 9:43 am
Just Joined

jon and linda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice.

It was Brazolot migration group, which I have since seen comments on here about them and have been put off. We thought that it was more than most companies as they were going to organise a job for him as we didn't realise that they couldn't charge to find a job.

Food for thought, might try it to go it alone!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:48 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice.

It was Brazolot migration group, which I have since seen comments on here about them and have been put off. We thought that it was more than most companies as they were going to organise a job for him as we didn't realise that they couldn't charge to find a job.

Food for thought, might try it to go it alone!
Was the job a fixed term contract, or in writing with guarantees? Otherwise, nothing stopping the trucking firm laying him off after a week or before the 3 month probationary period is up, or cutting wages due to lack of work. Happens all the time.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

It's not worth £9000. You can do it yourself and use that money for something else.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 3:18 am
Just Joined

HagarUk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are using somebody who hasn't charged us anything, I have been offered a job and just waiting for TWP. He put me in touch with the Canadian company and arranged interview and has handled everything so far. I am in the engineering industry but it says on his website he also does the haulage industries, pm if you want anymore details.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:05 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

9K? LOL

It's possible to do the application yourself for free but if you do go down the representative route I wouldn't be forking out the equivalent of $14,000 for it.

I think our lawyer has come in a shade under $3k (www.immigration.ca if you're looking around)
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:42 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HagarUk
Hi, we are using somebody who hasn't charged us anything, I have been offered a job and just waiting for TWP. He put me in touch with the Canadian company and arranged interview and has handled everything so far. I am in the engineering industry but it says on his website he also does the haulage industries, pm if you want anymore details.
Using someone who isn't charging you? Are they are friend?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:49 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Using someone who isn't charging you? Are they are friend?
Perhaps they take a fee from whomever hires the person. Thats how recruitment agencies are supposed to work, and how I ended up in Canada.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:25 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Perhaps they take a fee from whomever hires the person. Thats how recruitment agencies are supposed to work, and how I ended up in Canada.
I read it that he was talking about an immigration company who had also set him up with a job - which is why I was asking. I know how recruitment agencies work Mr Iain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.