USA Visa Waiver Program

Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Lonbost is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile USA Visa Waiver Program

Hi, my family and I are British Citizens and hold valid machine readable UK passports.
We are about to emigrate to British Columbia, Canada and will shortly be issued with our permanent residence visa's.
When we travel to Canada to take up permanent residence we would like to undertake this journey from the UK going via New York. We have never visited New York before and would like to stop off for a 5-6 day family holiday before the onward journey to Vancouver.
However, we are unsure if we can make this journey for a short family holiday to the USA under the visa waiver programme as we will be in transit to take up permanent residence in Canada and not hold a return travel ticket to the UK. We have spent many hours reading and going through the information on the US/Canada govt websites but still remain unclear of our status - although we will have been issued with Canadian Permanent Residence Visa's we understand we do not actually become permanent residents until we land in Canada.
We would be very grateful if anyone could help us find the answer as we would really like to make this trip.
Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice
Default Re: USA Visa Waiver Program

Lonbost, I don't see why this would be an issue. All the Americans will care about is that you have a plane ticket booked leaving the United States, they won't mind if that is to Canada or to the Uk and it won't affect your permanent residence when you arrive in Canada because, as you said, you aren't permanent residents until you have landed.......Go for it! New York is a great place, I'm sure you and the family will have a great time........
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Lonbost is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We are going to go for it, thanks Anstar
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Technically, you cannot use the visa waiver program to do this. You need a return ticket to the United Kingdom (or somewhere else outside North America).

An onward ticket to Canada won't do because you will not be "residents" of Canada. U.S. law doesn't refer to "permanent residence", just residence.

If you try it, will you get away with it? Maybe, maybe not.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

also http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.2.21&idno=8

(c) Restrictions on manner of arrival —(1) Applicants arriving by air and sea. Applicants must arrive on a carrier that is signatory to a Visa Waiver Pilot Program Agreement and at the time of arrival must have a round trip ticket that will transport the traveler out of the United States to any other foreign port or place as long as the trip does not terminate in contiguous territory or an adjacent island; except that the round trip ticket may transport the traveler to contiguous territory or an adjacent island, if the traveler is a resident of the country of destination.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:21 am
Just Joined

geoffsuecoco is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: USA Visa Waiver Program and a long visit to Canada

Can I jump in with a related question about using the VWP?

Part 1:
My wife and I are British Citizens and we would like to visit Canada on 1st July 2009 for a 9 month stay. Part of the reason for the long continuous stay is our dog, Coco. We will be arriving on the QM2 in New York with our dog Coco, then driving to Alberta by rental car. We intend to drive back to New York at the end of our stay next April and take the ship home again, because we don't want our dog to fly. The QM2 is the only transatlantic carrier that takes dogs on board, so we are very restricted as to when we can travel out and back. We will have a RETURN ticket for the QM2 in April 2010. Can we use the VWP and give up our I-94 on entry to Canada, having remained in the USA for only 2 days? We won't be re-entering the USA until April 2010.
- If we need to apply for a B-2 tourist visa for the USA, how long is this valid for?

Part 2: Staying in Canada for 9 months!
I am a director of a UK company and my wife and I work in the business. www.globalcoachtours.com It's a UK based travel agency, but is operated from home via the Internet. To support ourselves, we will not be working in any business in Canada, we will simply continue as normal answering emails for our UK company. So we will be supporting ourselves with our UK income on an extended vacation for a change of scene and lifestyle. Is this counted as "working in Canada"!
After reading FAQs saying UK citizens don't need a visa for Canada, I was unable to determine what to do under the above circumstances. Do we need to apply for any sort of extended visitor permit? Or will we get stamped for up to six months on entry at the discretion of the Border Services Officer, then have to extend whilst we are there?

Many thanks for any help out there!
Geoff