USA or Canada

Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:56 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
zoting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA or Canada

Hi all,

I bet there are many folks in this forum (including myself) who have filed for their greencard. I'd like to know why these folks are interested in Canada? Reasons I can think of are:
1. Canadian immigration is a contingency plan. If GC processing has any problems its a good fallback. Delays in GC processing is another compelling reason.
2. Canada in more libaral, better social benefits.
3. We'll take whatever comes first (GC or Canadian PR).
4. Canadian citizenship takes 3 years, US takes 5 years.

What are the other resons? Why are you ppl. applying for Canadian PR?
zoting is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:34 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
zico's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 197
zico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USA or Canada

For me,

1, 2, and 4 are pretty much the reasons. However, I would like to add that with all the present wars and bleak future America is in now, Canada seems a very attractive place to live and raise a family if worst comes to worst in this country. We all have heard of US citizens immigrating to Canada especially after Bush got re-elected. Who knows...maybe it'll become a trend in the future as more events unravel...

This is just my 2 cents...

Originally Posted by zoting
Hi all,

I bet there are many folks in this forum (including myself) who have filed for their greencard. I'd like to know why these folks are interested in Canada? Reasons I can think of are:
1. Canadian immigration is a contingency plan. If GC processing has any problems its a good fallback. Delays in GC processing is another compelling reason.
2. Canada in more libaral, better social benefits.
3. We'll take whatever comes first (GC or Canadian PR).
4. Canadian citizenship takes 3 years, US takes 5 years.

What are the other resons? Why are you ppl. applying for Canadian PR?
zico is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:40 am
  #3  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,771
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA or Canada

This is something that really pisses me off. Just think how much faster those that really want to live only in Canada would get here if all those US wannabees had not clogged up the system. Canada is NOT the US, despite superfical appearances. Maybe CIC and USImmigration should get together and just file all the dual applicants in the appropriate circular file.

OK, rant over...feeling better now!
iaink is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:53 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
zico's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 197
zico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USA or Canada

You're just living in denial...Canada might as well be the 51st state. Canada depends totally on the U.S. for survival. As Neil Young once said, "the Canadian dream is to come to America". Although that may not be entirely true, Canada is very much an integral part of the U.S. and no matter how much you try to bend it, this is a fact. Canada lives on everything American, from TV broadcasting to fast-food chains to big retailer chains like Wal-mart, etc...Canada is engulfed by anything American...So, I advise you to have a moment of truth with yourself.

Originally Posted by iaink
This is something that really pisses me off. Just think how much faster those that really want to live only in Canada would get here if all those US wannabees had not clogged up the system. Canada is NOT the US, despite superfical appearances. Maybe CIC and USImmigration should get together and just file all the dual applicants in the appropriate circular file.

OK, rant over...feeling better now!
zico is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:12 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 364
Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USA or Canada

For me, Canada is my primary place to go and US would be the contigency. I would settle my family here first and then work in the US, then maybe come back after 2 years.

Canadian Benefits are better as long as you pay the tax.

I will take Canadian PR because for sure it will come first than GC.
Unless I am 100% sure, I would take the shorter term first rather than loose both in the end.

Many people failed in applying for GC and they are turning back to Canada to take them.


RW



Originally Posted by zoting
Hi all,

I bet there are many folks in this forum (including myself) who have filed for their greencard. I'd like to know why these folks are interested in Canada? Reasons I can think of are:
1. Canadian immigration is a contingency plan. If GC processing has any problems its a good fallback. Delays in GC processing is another compelling reason.
2. Canada in more libaral, better social benefits.
3. We'll take whatever comes first (GC or Canadian PR).
4. Canadian citizenship takes 3 years, US takes 5 years.

What are the other resons? Why are you ppl. applying for Canadian PR?
Redwings is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:22 am
  #6  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,771
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA or Canada

Originally Posted by zico
You're just living in denial...Canada might as well be the 51st state. Canada depends totally on the U.S. for survival. As Neil Young once said, "the Canadian dream is to come to America". Although that may not be entirely true, Canada is very much an integral part of the U.S. and no matter how much you try to bend it, this is a fact. Canada lives on everything American, from TV broadcasting to fast-food chains to big retailer chains like Wal-mart, etc...Canada is engulfed by anything American...So, I advise you to have a moment of truth with yourself.
I'm quite in touch with the truth thanks

Economically the US and Canada are trading partners, and Canada is reliant on that relationship, no question. Socially and Politically they are very different, and the attitude and behaviour of the people in general is very different. I am not going to start a whats wrong with america thread, but canada is certainly a more tollerant and liberal society.

As far as Canadian survival without the US goes, how would the US do without Canadian Energy and Oil exports? Or mineral exports, or softwood exports?? Its a partnership. The US scratches our back, and we scratch theirs.

Culturally you may as well include the UK as part of the US as well, in fact there arent too many places you can escape US influence. But to live and work in Canada is a different deal to living and working in the US, and there is certainly no lovelost between the US and Canada, as you will find if you end up in Canada and behave as if you had landed in the US. Chalk and cheese.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 28th 2005 at 9:25 am.
iaink is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:09 pm
  #7  
keep checking....
 
mhhp's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: was Switzerland/Germany now BC Canada
Posts: 1,440
mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: USA or Canada

I have to agree with iaink here,

I have lived in both countries and have enjoyed it in both, but we are immigrating to Canada and to Canada only!!!!!!! because that is where I want my kids to grow up. Canada is not a USA/light or a 51st state in any way but a completely different society which for me combines many of the things about the US that I like with many europeean aspects I miss in the US.

Sometimes it is shocking how little many of my american freinds know about their northern neighbor, let alone the rest of the world (that for e.g. is a big difference).

I do not want to get carried away here, but let me quote from a beer commercial, which although exagerated (only slightly) really hits the nerve of the US/Canadian relationship.

I AM CANADIAN

(clears throat)
Hey.

I´m not a lumberjack, or a fur trader...
and I don´t live in an igloo, or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don´t know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I´m certain they´re really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, NOT American.
and I pronounce it ´ABOUT´, NOT ´A BOOT´.

I can proudly sew my country´s flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT, A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH, AND IT IS PRONOUNCED ´ZED´ NOT ´ZEE´, ´ZED´!!!

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LAND MASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

MY NAME IS JOE!!
AND I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!


For Immigrants who are coming to canada as a second choice because (its the same as the US anyway)......you are in for a surprize!!!
mhhp is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:08 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 319
bhalerao is on a distinguished road
Default Re: USA or Canada

Canada vs GC,

No comparison. You cannot compare two entirely different landmasses connected on the same plane. Canada begins with C and USA begins with U . Well the whole point is canada has better prospects for growth and USA is the seasoned machine. Depends what you wanna choose.
bhalerao is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:55 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 265
bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Re: USA or Canada

I am with mhhp. If I was single and just wanted to earn money I'd go with the US. As for raising a family, Canada is the choice for us. Maybe at some point I'll pull a short stint in the US on the NAFTA visa, and I was contemplating doing MBA there, but the bottom point is that lifestyle in Canada is much more sustainable and pleasant (at least in Alberta where I live). No long commutes, clean environment, friendly people (although I like California a lot, one gets tired after the 100th finger on 101 etc. Moneywise it's not as good as the US, but then again, the cost of life here is much lower so it evens it up.


Originally Posted by mhhp
I have to agree with iaink here,

I have lived in both countries and have enjoyed it in both, but we are immigrating to Canada and to Canada only!!!!!!! because that is where I want my kids to grow up. Canada is not a USA/light or a 51st state in any way but a completely different society which for me combines many of the things about the US that I like with many europeean aspects I miss in the US.

Sometimes it is shocking how little many of my american freinds know about their northern neighbor, let alone the rest of the world (that for e.g. is a big difference).

I do not want to get carried away here, but let me quote from a beer commercial, which although exagerated (only slightly) really hits the nerve of the US/Canadian relationship.

I AM CANADIAN

(clears throat)
Hey.

I´m not a lumberjack, or a fur trader...
and I don´t live in an igloo, or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don´t know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I´m certain they´re really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, NOT American.
and I pronounce it ´ABOUT´, NOT ´A BOOT´.

I can proudly sew my country´s flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT, A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH, AND IT IS PRONOUNCED ´ZED´ NOT ´ZEE´, ´ZED´!!!

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LAND MASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

MY NAME IS JOE!!
AND I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!


For Immigrants who are coming to canada as a second choice because (its the same as the US anyway)......you are in for a surprize!!!
bartM is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:11 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 100
vetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USA or Canada

Do we expect to see any changes in canadian applications after US has formed backlog elimination centers? I'm bit skeptical about such centers based on previous observations. US always had a surplus number of GC and H1 applications than they realy wanted, and so theny never cared how long the whole process takes. But again, this is the time when even US feels the nedd to invite students to study in their universities.
vetal is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.