Wikiposts

US Visitor Visa

Old Oct 28th 2003, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

GE Underwood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Visitor Visa

Hello
I understand that US citizens do not require a Vistor's Visa. My husband is a US citizen and we have submitted an application for him to come to Canada where I live. My question is if he comes up for an extended visit (ie several months), what specifically should we ask for at the Border to ensure that he enters the country legally and they have a record of it. Should he ask to have his passport stamped or is there some document/form he should request, if so what is it. I cannot figure out what is to be requested on the cic site.

thanks
Old Oct 30th 2003, 11:32 am
FaK
Forum Regular

FaK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Visitor Visa

US Citizens do not require a visa. When you arrive at the border post the Immigration Officer will ask you questions and then determie what documentation is needed. In simple words no specific documentation is needed. But if the immigration officer determines that you may be in Canada for an extended period of time he or she may give you a visa for the period desired by you. So basically just keep all documentation/passport/id with you and leave the rest to the Immig officers. Hope this helps.
FaK

Originally posted by GE Underwood
Hello
I understand that US citizens do not require a Vistor's Visa. My husband is a US citizen and we have submitted an application for him to come to Canada where I live. My question is if he comes up for an extended visit (ie several months), what specifically should we ask for at the Border to ensure that he enters the country legally and they have a record of it. Should he ask to have his passport stamped or is there some document/form he should request, if so what is it. I cannot figure out what is to be requested on the cic site.

thanks
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

GE Underwood is an unknown quantity at this point

I realize that US citizents do not require an Visa. I am inquiring to determine if there is something he can request to document his entry into the Country to protect ourselves such as having his Passport Stamped or if there is some sort of entry record document he can request. If so what specifically is the document called and how do we go about requesting it.

cheers
G.

Originally posted by FaK
US Citizens do not require a visa. When you arrive at the border post the Immigration Officer will ask you questions and then determie what documentation is needed. In simple words no specific documentation is needed. But if the immigration officer determines that you may be in Canada for an extended period of time he or she may give you a visa for the period desired by you. So basically just keep all documentation/passport/id with you and leave the rest to the Immig officers. Hope this helps.
FaK
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

prodigy346 is an unknown quantity at this point

He should ask to get the passport stamped. It's not an unreasonable request.

I realize that US citizents do not require an Visa. I am inquiring to determine if there is something he can request to document his entry into the Country to protect ourselves such as having his Passport Stamped or if there is some sort of entry record document he can request. If so what specifically is the document called and how do we go about requesting it.

cheers
G.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

prodigy346 is an unknown quantity at this point

He should ask to get the passport stamped. It's not an unreasonable request.

cheers
G.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:14 am
Ashley Watson

Hello

My sister when she crossed into Quebec last year from Maine, the customs guy
asked her if you would like a stamp in her passport even although
technically she didn't need one as we had gone to the US for the weekend and
she had already officially entered Canada at the Quebec City airport and
received a stamp there. He told her that he gets asked by people sometimes
to stamp their passports as they like to collect them. So if you are a US
citizen and want a stamp I don't see why it should be a problem.

Ashley Watson

"GE Underwood" <member@british_expats.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
    > I realize that US citizents do not require an Visa. I am inquiring to
    > determine if there is something he can request to document his entry
    > into the Country to protect ourselves such as having his Passport
    > Stamped or if there is some sort of entry record document he can
    > request. If so what specifically is the document called and how do we
    > go about requesting it.
    > cheers
    > G.
    > Originally posted by FaK