Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

US visa-waiver restriction and travel to Canada

US visa-waiver restriction and travel to Canada

Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

sunnylondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US visa-waiver restriction and travel to Canada

Hi there, I am planning to travel to Canada to meet up with my American husband. I just wanted to double-check my situation (as descibed below) before buying my air-ticket.

I'm not able to travel to the US on the visa waiver programme. Unfortunately, a few months back I was denied entry in to the US when I wanted to visit him (they thought that I may not leave). I am otherwise a regular, law abiding person - no dark or dodgy previous history/background.

Just wondered then, whether my US visa-waiver situation also effects my entry into Canada (for a 1 week holiday)?

I appreciate that Canada is an independent country to the US and as a British citizen, I don't need a visa to travel to Canada. However, just wanted to double-check that I can travel there without any worries.

Would be grateful for any advise....
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

StefkeUK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: US visa-waiver restriction and travel to Canada

Hello,

Could you give a bit more explanation about your denied to go to U.S..

I'm belgian citizen living england. My wife is from america. We are both living in England. She has a residence card who allow her to stay for at 5 years. We are planning to go to US in september for holiday to visit her familly. And I would really hate myself being denied when she will go trought there normally.

You can pm me if it s too personnal.

Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

sunnylondon is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very keen to focus on my query to get some much needed advise so as far as possible I would not like to diverge...

(However, I think so long as you show you have employment and other responsbilities to return to after visiting the States, they'll be less suspicious that you might stay. This forum is really good if you have any specific concerns.)
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

StefkeUK is on a distinguished road

Hello again sunny,

Thanks for your reply. I'll make sure We have enought prove.

For your concern, I don't you should have a problem. Immigration wise, US and Canada are separate countries and the rules are differents. So I don't think your deny to US will impact your entry to Canada.

I'm pretty sure others will confirm my say.

Have a nice trip
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StefkeUK
Hello again sunny,

Thanks for your reply. I'll make sure We have enought prove.

For your concern, I don't you should have a problem. Immigration wise, US and Canada are separate countries and the rules are differents. So I don't think your deny to US will impact your entry to Canada.

I'm pretty sure others will confirm my say.

Have a nice trip
If you are flying US Customes love to see a return flight out. That tends to work for me. State your purpose, show return flight and off ya go. I found it a lot easier crossing the border. Tehy'd ask what my purpose was and I'd tell them shopping, wedding or something that I was genuinly doing. Good luck.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roxye3
If you are flying US Customes love to see a return flight out. That tends to work for me. State your purpose, show return flight and off ya go. I found it a lot easier crossing the border. Tehy'd ask what my purpose was and I'd tell them shopping, wedding or something that I was genuinly doing. Good luck.
On the U.S. visa waiver, a return/onward ticket is mandatory. It is not mandatory crossing the land border.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
On the U.S. visa waiver, a return/onward ticket is mandatory. It is not mandatory crossing the land border.
Good point there JAJ. If the boarder is applicable to your journey then do the boarder.