Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

US resident applying for CDN Immigration

US resident applying for CDN Immigration

Old Jan 15th 2002, 10:24 am
Ram

My mother is a permanent resident in the US (greencard holder) and has been living
there for the past five years.

She wants to become an immigrant in Canada. I will be sponsoring her. I have two
questions:

1. After we apply for Canadian immigration, can she enter Canada as a visitor?
She does not need a visitor's visa to enter Canada because she is a US
permanent resident.

2. Alternatively, can we apply for her Canadian immigration after she enters Canada
as a visitor? Can she stay in Canada while her application is being processed?

I greatly all responses. Thanks.

Ram V.

Old Jan 15th 2002, 9:55 pm
Jaj

She should be aware that if she immigrates to Canada she'll lose her US green card.
Getting US citizenship first (which she should be eligible for if she's had a GC for
the 5 years she's been living in the US), and thinking about migration to Canada
afterwards, might be an option worth considering.

Jeremy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 18th 2002, 11:42 am
Ron Beirnes

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Ram: The question is yes she can enter subject to the discretion of the examining
officer. There is a concept of 'dual intent' where you can be deemed to be a genuine
immigrant and visitor at the same time. She will have to satisfy the examining
officer that she will leave Canada at the end of her authorized visit if the question
arises at the interview.
    >
    >
    >
Applying for a parent in Canada requires an H&C application and you will have to
provide the Area Processing Centre in Vegreville with acceptable grounds to warrant
her processing from within Canada on humanitarian and compassionate grounds. This is
quite routine for spouses as marriage is deemed to be an H & C consideration however
they are much tougher with parents. If her application for PR is allowed to proceed
from within Canada by the granting of Approval in Principle then she will be allowed
to remain in Canada for the duration of the processing.
    >
Ron Beirnes
R.B. Global Immigration Consultants Ltd. 1540-1100 Melville St. Vancouver, BC V6E 4A6
Phone (604) 688-3081 fax 688-3015 email [email protected] Webb page
http://www3.telus.net/rbglobal
    >
    >
    >