US GC Landing as Canadian PR

Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

BSingh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US GC Landing as Canadian PR

Any US GC holder landed as permanent Canadian PR ? Please share experiences for both sides of the border.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:10 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US GC Landing as Canadian PR

No issues at all under current law on Canadian side.

But taking permanent residency (and this is what you will formally be doing) in another country will be deemed by Americans as abandoning your GC. Of course you will hear plenty of "advisors" telling you how to do it, but legally your GC will be in danger.

Originally Posted by BSingh
Any US GC holder landed as permanent Canadian PR ? Please share experiences for both sides of the border.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Does the US and Canadian immigration share info of immigrants. Can they know if one is PR in both countries ?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:11 pm

Yes, immigration computer systems and database are linked.

But it is not about "how would they know" - it is all about taking the risk of loss of GC.

Originally Posted by BSingh
Does the US and Canadian immigration share info of immigrants. Can they know if one is PR in both countries ?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No issues at all under current law on Canadian side.

But taking permanent residency (and this is what you will formally be doing) in another country will be deemed by Americans as abandoning your GC. Of course you will hear plenty of "advisors" telling you how to do it, but legally your GC will be in danger.
He should take advice from a US immigration attorney on this matter.

Jeremy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:21 pm

Seems that he just doesn't want to hear the answer he got, he wants to hear something he would like. Unfortunately US immigration lawyer will state the same thing - taking permanent residency in another country is seemed by US authorities as abandoning permanent residency (GC) in US.

"How would thay know" kind of question indicates that he already knows what the risk is - this is why he is asking others to tell him how they did it. Some are still lucky lying to US authorities, while others got caught.

Originally Posted by JAJ
He should take advice from a US immigration attorney on this matter.

Jeremy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

While i appreciate your inputs your advise re the Canadian side of the process but i believe your advise on the US immigration is not very accurate. I've been advised very clearly by my US attorney that ACCEPTING PR IN ANOTHER COUNRY IS NOT CONSIDERED ABONDONING YOUR US PR!

In this scenario one would jeopradize the US Greencard only if he/she is out of US for extended period of time. ie, >6mths in a year, can't show sufficient ties to the US (job/home,etc), failing to file taxes, etc. Accepting foreign PR is not one of those.

My very first post referred to folks in similar situation to share their experience and not wanting to hear what i wanted to hear.