Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

US cit. crossing border to work without PR yet

US cit. crossing border to work without PR yet

Old Jan 16th 2002, 1:54 am
Marge Simpson

Hello all, This subject seems to fall into a grey area so I ask for opinions on
whether this is legal or not and whether USC runs the risk of being denied entry into
Canada at some point.

2 scenarios: 1 - USC with current visitors record, is married to CC, crosses border
each day to work in the US but lives in Canada. Spousal application from within
Canada with H & C application is filed but neither AIP or PR has been granted yet
(application is in process).

2 - USC with current visitors record, is married to CC, crosses border each day to
work in the US but lives in Canada. Application for grant of citizenship is filed
under section 5(2)(b) ( born to Canadian parent outside Canada. Once application is
processed, full CDN citizenship will be granted.)

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Old Jan 16th 2002, 2:38 am
David Cohen

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

In either case, admissibility as a visitor will be assessed on each occasion that the
individual seeks to re-enter Canada. Such admissibility is governed primarily by the
discretion of an immigration official.

With each re-entry, there is a risk that an immigration official will not be
satisfied as to the bona-fides of your intention as a visitor. It would be difficult
to quantify this risk, and it may be small in either case above. Refusal on one
occasion, however, would likely significantly reduce the likelihood of approval on
subsequent attempts.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Old Jan 16th 2002, 5:29 am
W Newcombe

I can only speak from my wife's experience but we had a similar experience. My wife
applied for PR status from within Canada. She also had a Visitor Record issued to her
for six months. She crossed every workday to the US for work and was never given a
hard time crossing back into Canada. She carried a copy of all the paperwork with her
at all times incase they wanted more information regarding her application for PR.
This is what she experienced. She crossed using the Detroit/Windsor tunnel.

As for your situation two, I am not a lawyer but depending on when you were born, you
could actually have citizenship already because one parent was Canadian. That route
would be somewhat cheaper to follow. Only my thoughts!

Good luck!

Wes

Old Jan 16th 2002, 7:08 am
Marge Simpson

Hi Wes, Thanks for your input. I am the person in situation #2. I presently do have
an application for CDN citizenship underway, but to further complicate matters I am
married to a Canadian and living in Canada, therefore I am restricted from working IN
Canada. So while we go broke and await my full citizenship papers, I wanted to
explore other options to help with the financial burden of a family of 5. Thanks
again, Michelle

>
experience.
    >
    >
    >
    >
wanted
    >
    >
    >
    >