Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:49 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
hannahschadel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Hey All,

I am leaving to fly to Canada on November 24th and I cannot change my flight. A couple of weeks ago I went to apply for the IEC visa and noticed that applications have closed until Jan 2016. Does anyone know if I can apply for this visa once applications open in January, whilst I am in Canada?

I am thinking I will need to apply for a visitor visa now so I can fly to Canada and stay for 6 months and then apply for the IEC. Has anyone done this? And can you confirm that the visitor visa is for 6 months?

I cannot apply for any other visa, like a work permit. Because I do not have a letter of offer from an employer - so I will not be able to do this. I am worried as I am running out of time before I leave (only 27 days until I go), and i want to make sure that I am allowed in the country. I will book a return flight home just to be safe and I have plenty of money saved, and I will be living in a house with my boyfriend and friends which is cheap rent.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone give me any advice to make me feel at ease? I appreciate all your help
hannahschadel is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2015, 10:05 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,206
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Yes, IEC has closed for this year but assuming you're eligible you can apply when the 2016 program opens (don't assume it will open in Jan though, this year it was March). You could be at a disadvantage if you're in Canada, as you might be asleep when applications open, and visas go within a matter of minutes! But you'll just have to make sure you check the website very regularly.

You an enter Canada as a visitor, if you're a UK citizen you don't actually need a visa. But note its up to 6 months, so you could be given less time, the full 6 months isn't automatic.

My concern is that if you turn up asking for the full 6 months and say you're going to stay with your boyfriend, CBSA might think you're planning on staying and refuse you entry. Personally, if I were you I would go for a few weeks and then return to the UK and wait for the IEC to open.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 26th 2015 at 10:07 pm.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2015, 10:14 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
hannahschadel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Yes, IEC has closed for this year but assuming you're eligible you can apply when the 2016 program opens (don't assume it will open in Jan though, this year it was March). You could be at a disadvantage if you're in Canada, as you might be asleep when applications open, and visas go within a matter of minutes! But you'll just have to make sure you check the website very regularly.

You an enter Canada as a visitor, if you're a UK citizen you don't actually need a visa. But note its up to 6 months, so you could be given less time, the full 6 months isn't automatic.

My concern is that if you turn up asking for the full 6 months and say you're going to stay with your boyfriend, CBSA might think you're planning on staying and refuse you entry. Personally, if I were you I would go for a few weeks and then return to the UK and wait for the IEC to open.

Best of luck.
Hi christmasoompa, thank you so much for your reply

Well, I am travelling around Canada and the states. So technically I am travelling and will be going into USA every now and then. I am Australian, so I will need a visitor visa. Is there any other visa I can apply for that doesn't enable me to provide a letter of offer from my employer? It doesn't seem like I can apply for anything else?

What if I just went over on a visitor visa and traveled through Canada and the states? Am I eligible? It is proving to be quite difficult.
hannahschadel is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2015, 10:54 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 3,787
Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Australian passports are visa-exempt, surely? You will require an ETA from March 2016, as a visitor, but until then it's not compulsory.
Shirtback is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:11 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
hannahschadel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Australian passports are visa-exempt, surely? You will require an ETA from March 2016, as a visitor, but until then it's not compulsory.
Hi Shirtback,

Thanks for your help. This is what I thought as well, but I certainly don't want to assume.

What I am thinking now is, two options:
1. I apply for a visitor visa.
I book a return flight home from LAX in July and be open and honest with the officer that I will be living and travelling canada from November - April (6 months in Canada) and then travelling through US from April - July (3 months). With my return flight home in July.

OR

2. Apply for a multi-visitor visa which enables me to enter in and out of the country, 6 months at a time.

Thoughts?
I will not be working, i have enough money to live off and I will simply be traveling through Canada and living with friends.
hannahschadel is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2015, 11:38 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 3,787
Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

But afaik, you don't *need* to apply for a visitor visa!! With an Australian passport, you would be granted upto 6 months on entry to Canada. This is also renewable...

All you would need is a return/onward flight, sufficient funds, etc...
Shirtback is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:54 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,206
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

As above, I don't think you need a visa.

I do just want to clarify for the sake of anybody reading that you need more than a job offer letter for a Temp Work Permit, you'd need a LMIA as well.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2015, 2:06 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,884
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Australian citizens don't need a visa to enter Canada but will require eTA after March 2016.
I see a big red flag which is you have a Canadian girlfriend and you want to come for 6 months and then apply for the IEC.
What evidence do you have to show you would be leaving after the 6 months IF granted? There is no guarantee you would be accepted for the IEC. If no return ticket then there is another red flag.
Be careful how you go about this as an examining officer has the authority to refuse you entry if they suspect you will be working without a work permit or will not leave. They can also limit the time you spend in Canada as the 6 months is NOT GUARANTEED on entry.
I suggest you have a return ticket booked. If allowed entry you can also apply for an extension.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2015, 9:55 am
  #9  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

If you are leaving Canada to go to the US 'every now and then' each time you come back into Canada it is a new entry and could be subject to refusal. I believe your previous entry is invalid once you leave Canada.
Aviator is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2015, 2:01 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
hannahschadel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Australian citizens don't need a visa to enter Canada but will require eTA after March 2016.
I see a big red flag which is you have a Canadian girlfriend and you want to come for 6 months and then apply for the IEC.
What evidence do you have to show you would be leaving after the 6 months IF granted? There is no guarantee you would be accepted for the IEC. If no return ticket then there is another red flag.
Be careful how you go about this as an examining officer has the authority to refuse you entry if they suspect you will be working without a work permit or will not leave. They can also limit the time you spend in Canada as the 6 months is NOT GUARANTEED on entry.
I suggest you have a return ticket booked. If allowed entry you can also apply for an extension.
Hi Former Lancastrian,
Thank you for your advice.
Immense apologies - as I believe I have not communicated my plan effectively.

I leave on November 24th November & will step into Canada with a visitor visa (fingers crossed I receive 6 months, as I am aware it is not promised). I will have plenty of money to survive.

I have a return flight home from LAX on 7th July 2016. I will be spending 5 months in Canada travelling and then I will enter USA and travel for approx 2 months. I will then fly home from LAX (as it is easier because I will be in the states).

The only reason why I ask about applying for the IEC whilst in Canada is because I would like it as an "option". I do not NEED to work, i just thought if I was able to, then it would be nice to have that as an option!

Does this sound like I would have trouble? Do you believe this will enable me to get through? IF I cannot receive an IEC, it doesn't matter as I will be happy with travelling.

I will return home after 7 months.
hannahschadel is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2015, 2:10 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,884
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help: can I apply for the IEC from Canada?

Originally Posted by hannahschadel
Hi Former Lancastrian,
Thank you for your advice.
Immense apologies - as I believe I have not communicated my plan effectively.

I leave on November 24th November & will step into Canada with a visitor visa (fingers crossed I receive 6 months, as I am aware it is not promised). I will have plenty of money to survive.

I have a return flight home from LAX on 7th July 2016. I will be spending 5 months in Canada travelling and then I will enter USA and travel for approx 2 months. I will then fly home from LAX (as it is easier because I will be in the states).

The only reason why I ask about applying for the IEC whilst in Canada is because I would like it as an "option". I do not NEED to work, i just thought if I was able to, then it would be nice to have that as an option!

Does this sound like I would have trouble? Do you believe this will enable me to get through? IF I cannot receive an IEC, it doesn't matter as I will be happy with travelling.

I will return home after 7 months.
Providing you can satisfy an examining officer that you are a genuine tourist and will return and can financially look after yourself while here and show a return ticket then I don't foresee any problems. You can apply for the IEC while in Canada. If accepted then if still here and have your POE letter then you would simply drive across the border and re-enter and be issued your work permit.
Former Lancastrian is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.