Urgent advice needed please

Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Magawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Urgent advice needed please

i am currently in Canada Alberta and I am working in a company as a Gas Fitter B , I have a valid LMIA and work visa, and the work visa only permits me to work for the company I am employed with.

The problem is that the company are laying off employees and I have been told my job is at risk, I've have only been working there for a couple of months.

I have been advised that if the company let me go I have to return back home...jobless and homeless ! where do I stand ? I have already applied for PR to so if my job goes I can not proceed with my PR. I am worried because I have my family out here with me and we gave up everything in the UK.

Can some one offer any advice ?

Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent advice needed please

What stage is your PR app at? Is a Bridging Open Work Permit not an option?

Regardless of the above, you don't have to leave Canada until the expiry date of your TWP, so although you can't work for anybody else on it, you can stay as a visitor and there's no need to leave Canada.

Sorry to use you as an example, but just for the sake of anybody reading this is why we say people only moving on a TWP shouldn't sell their UK house or burn any bridges. It's just not secure enough I'm afraid.

If you can give us a bit more info about your PR app the hopefully we can help. Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 24th 2015 at 9:06 am.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Magawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What stage is your PR app at? Is a Bridging Open Work Permit not an option?

Regardless of the above, you don't have to leave Canada until the expiry date of your TWP, so although you can't work for anybody else on it, you can stay as a visitor and there's no need to leave Canada.
Hi

My PR application is at the stage where I'm am about to sit my IELT's , I am using an immigration group for the process and I have paid the the first 2 instalments.

If I loose my job that 600 points off my express entry application.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magawish
Hi

My PR application is at the stage where I'm am about to sit my IELT's , I am using an immigration group for the process and I have paid the the first 2 instalments.

If I loose my job that 600 points off my express entry application.
Sitting your IELTS isn't a step that tells us where you are in the process though. Have you received an ITA yet? What route have you used to apply under?
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

No I have not received ITA yet, I have used FSTC route.

Thanks

Last edited by Magawish; Oct 24th 2015 at 9:17 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

No I have not received ITA yet, I have used FSTC route.

Thanks
Ah, ok. When did you actually apply? Hopefully you should get an ITA in the next draw. When does your current TWP expire? I'm guessing it's not less than 4 months time?

Do you have a spouse and if so, do they have a job?
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

My TWP expires Aug 2017 , they gave me a 2 year working visa. I came out to Alberta 2 months ago.

The immigration group said they are just waiting for my IELT's results which I should have in the next couple of weeks then they will more than likely have the ITA.

Yes my wife is working, she has a local job in a supermarket.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

What does your wife actually do, is it a skilled job? If so, then could she convince her employer to apply for a LMIA for her? Unlikely I know if she's already working for then on an open work permit, but they may do it just to keep her if she's a valued member of staff and if so, then you'd get an open work permit.

If not, then I'm afraid I can't see any option other than to wait and see if you get an ITA/PR, or to find another job offer and LMIA so you can get another TWP for somebody else. You're not by any chance under 30?

Out of interest why did you hire an immigration lawyer, do you have complicated circumstances? If so, that may be relevant.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

What does your wife actually do, is it a skilled job? If so, then could she convince her employer to apply for a LMIA for her? Unlikely I know if she's already working for then on an open work permit, but they may do it just to keep her if she's a valued member of staff and if so, then you'd get an open work permit.

If not, then I'm afraid I can't see any option other than to wait and see if you get an ITA/PR, or to find another job offer and LMIA so you can get another TWP for somebody else. You're not by any chance under 30?

Out of interest why did you hire an immigration lawyer, do you have complicated circumstances? If so, that may be relevant.
No not skilled she just works in a shop called Bulk Barn, she has only just started to work on her open work permit.

The immigration group found me the job and I agreed to use them for the PR application too, I don't have any complicated issues, we have submitted all the nessasary paperwork to them because I am busy studying for my RedSeal and I didn't want the headache of paperwork etc. I thought it would just make life easier.

No I'm not under 30, wish I was ha ha
Old Oct 24th 2015, 10:04 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

No not skilled she just works in a shop called Bulk Barn, she has only just started to work on her open work permit.

The immigration group found me the job and I agreed to use them for the PR application too, I don't have any complicated issues, we have submitted all the nessasary paperwork to them because I am busy studying for my RedSeal and I didn't want the headache of paperwork etc. I thought it would just make life easier.

No I'm not under 30, wish I was ha ha
Get your IP done as quickly as possible and look for another employer to try for the LMIA. If you consider other provinces you may need a certification from the safety authority (as is required in BC).
Old Oct 24th 2015, 10:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Looks like your only option is another job offer/LMIA then unfortunately. Fingers crossed you find something quickly.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Get your IP done as quickly as possible and look for another employer to try for the LMIA. If you consider other provinces you may need a certification from the safety authority (as is required in BC).
What is an IP ?

Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2015, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Urgent advice needed please

Looks like your only option is another job offer/LMIA then unfortunately. Fingers crossed you find something quickly.
Thank you for your advice
Old Oct 24th 2015, 11:08 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

What is an IP ?

Thanks
Inter-provincial exam. Some folks wrongly call it the 'Red Seal exam'. Red Seal do not set or invigilate any exams, they are done by each province and endorsed by the Red Seal organisation. Gas fitters in some provinces also have to have a gas ticket issued by the Safety Authority. The IP certification is inter provincially transferable when Red Seal endorsed. The safety certificate is not and has to be retaken in any province the person works in.