Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

updating you all on skilled trade category

updating you all on skilled trade category

Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:41 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default updating you all on skilled trade category

Hiya decided to visit the local MP here in Whitby Ontario just to see if there was any assistance he could give me on getting an update on this supposed fast track category. Well lo and behold one simple phone call later (always who you know eh) he spoke to immigration , yes our application is in process, we meet the criteria fine however it will be average time of 2 years to be processed from when our application arrived at Ottawa which was April 2013. So for everyone who has applied or thinking of applying bear this in mind. I know a handful of people who already have PR through this category but they were already working here on a TWP therefore that must have made the difference. Ok so back to the drawing board........................
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: updating you all on skilled trade category

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
Hiya decided to visit the local MP here in Whitby Ontario just to see if there was any assistance he could give me on getting an update on this supposed fast track category. Well lo and behold one simple phone call later (always who you know eh) he spoke to immigration , yes our application is in process, we meet the criteria fine however it will be average time of 2 years to be processed from when our application arrived at Ottawa which was April 2013. So for everyone who has applied or thinking of applying bear this in mind. I know a handful of people who already have PR through this category but they were already working here on a TWP therefore that must have made the difference. Ok so back to the drawing board........................
Glad you've had an update. Out of interest, where did you read it was supposed to be a 'fast track category'? I've not heard that before.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:16 pm
Gained PR July 2014

hiya it was when we went to one if the expos way back last year in Glasgow one of the presenters said it. He has been super reliable and accurate with everything else so assumed this was the case. Obviously not. Now awaiting LMO's from 5 different companies however the return flight in December to be back with real friends and family is looking like the most realistic option for now
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

hiya it was when we went to one if the expos way back last year in Glasgow one of the presenters said it. He has been super reliable and accurate with everything else so assumed this was the case. Obviously not. Now awaiting LMO's from 5 different companies however the return flight in December to be back with real friends and family is looking like the most realistic option for now
Was the presenter from an immigration company? I've never heard of it being a fast track option, and in fact CIC did away with any fast track options a while ago so I'd be surprised if they'd reintroduced them. Particularly as there's no reason for them to make it quicker than FSW for example. I'd always assumed it would take at least a year or two, as with any other economic PR application.

5 job offers and LMO apps is amazing! Hopefully at least one of them will come good, when were they applied for? Best of luck, hope you get a positive one before Dec.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

just found this from CIC may 2013

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2013-05-03.asp

c&p'd from that thread ....

in order to prevent ballooning backlogs and lengthy wait times, there is a list of occupations with a set number of applications that will be accepted this year.

Previously, the application backlog for the FSWP was on track for an unacceptable 15-year wait time by 2015 with over 1.5 million applicants in the backlog.

As a result of the Action Plan for Faster Immigration and Economic Action Plan 2012, the backlog for the FSWP has been nearly eliminated, and new applications are being processed in approximately one year.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:37 pm
Gained PR July 2014

1st one applied for in August rejected a few weeks ago and reapplied for. 2nd one applied for about 6 weeks ago others just in last few weeks . The way our luck goes I am not holding out much hope. All you see is companies out West desperate for electricians but have to go through hoops on fire. pah.....

ps yeah presenter from immigration company but not a shark he has given me loads of advice free as We didn't use anyone.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 19th 2013 at 8:26 pm. Reason: Merged your two posts - there is an edit button if you need to add something more, it's to the right of the posting :)
Old Nov 19th 2013, 8:54 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
just found this from CIC may 2013

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2013-05-03.asp

c&p'd from that thread ....

in order to prevent ballooning backlogs and lengthy wait times, there is a list of occupations with a set number of applications that will be accepted this year.

Previously, the application backlog for the FSWP was on track for an unacceptable 15-year wait time by 2015 with over 1.5 million applicants in the backlog.

As a result of the Action Plan for Faster Immigration and Economic Action Plan 2012, the backlog for the FSWP has been nearly eliminated, and new applications are being processed in approximately one year.

Surely that's referring to skilled worker
Not skilled TRADES

The skilled trades stream is relatively new so can't see that there would be a huge backlog
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:31 am
Gained PR July 2014

according to cic there has been a huge influx of apps. who knows i give up.........
Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
5 job offers and LMO apps is amazing! Hopefully at least one of them will come good, when were they applied for? Best of luck, hope you get a positive one before Dec.
Unless the the OP has been open with the employers and assuming the OP takes one of the jobs, 4 of those employers could be unknowingly wasting their time applying for LMOs. This does not help future applicants, as employers once burned may well steer clear in the future of foreign workers. We had a similar situation and now only recruit locally, stopped bringing in foreign workers.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:23 pm
Gained PR July 2014

I understand what you are saying Aviator but are you really expecting someone to shoot themsleves in foot by saying " oh im applying elsewhere" nobody is going to do that until they have an LMO and offer of contract. Its no different than someone locally starting the job getting trained etc then chucking it for something better. Immigration have created this monster by making LMO's so lengthy.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Immigration have created this monster by making LMO's so lengthy.
Immigration have nothing to do with LMO's, they're administrated by HRSDC. And LMO's now are an awful lot quicker than they used to be!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you are saying Aviator but are you really expecting someone to shoot themsleves in foot by saying " oh im applying elsewhere" nobody is going to do that until they have an LMO and offer of contract. Its no different than someone locally starting the job getting trained etc then chucking it for something better. Immigration have created this monster by making LMO's so lengthy.
imo this is a bit disingenuous.

the real reason you are applying for multiple jobs/LMOs is because you have no immigration status in Canada and you're desperate. If you had waited until you had that LMO before coming, you (arguably) wouldn't be in this position.

I have empathy for your situation but it's a bit rich to blame it on immigration when you knowing made a bad choice.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

The moaning about immigration whether it's CIC or HRSDC making it too difficult and lengthy to immigrate to Canada surprises me. When we were still in England I remember everybody constantly moaning about British immigration being too soft...Can't win eh?

OP you did take a huge risk coming over on a visitor record knowing that plenty of LMOs are getting refused. Sometimes you have to take risks, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Not CIC/HRSDC's fault.....

Morally it might be questionable to apply for 5 LMOs letting the companies believe you'd love to work for them making it harder for future applicants and some companies might even exclude you because someone has played them in the past. But in the end everybody fights for themselves and has to do what they think is right for their family. It's not illegal to apply for several jobs so.... Good luck!

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Nov 20th 2013 at 5:24 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

squirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirkey298 is a glorious beacon of light

Gutted. I was under same (dis)illusion as you Linda that it would be a faster option than FSW. My husband challenged the Red Seal in BC again yesterday but another two years waiting is going to make or break us. Thanks so much for the update though :-)
Old Dec 6th 2013, 2:26 am
Gained PR July 2014

hi squirkey glad to hear from u ! fingers crossed this time. I am sure others on here will advise but you can apply on trade category with job offer ( if he does fail exam again but im sure he hasnt) has he applied for any ? PM if you want. take care. Linda xx