Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Updating my marital status at my immigrant application affects my waiting time?

Updating my marital status at my immigrant application affects my waiting time?

Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:26 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Updating my marital status at my immigrant application....?-- For Andrew

Originally Posted by badSponsor
Just a quick question, please (I'm sorry if considered a bit out of topic)
What can I do if I want to update my marital status AFTER I landed.
Is there anyway to do the correction? How or what should I do?

Thanks in advance!
What?!!!

You cannot!!!

If you got married before landing as PR then you must update your marital status and add spouse to your case before visa is issued. Failing to do so will result in the following:

1. Yous spouse will be forever excluded from Family class and you will never be able to sponsor your spouse.

2. During landing process you will be asked if anything changed (including marital status) since your application. Then, depending from your answer the following will happen:

2a) if you state that nothing happen then your landing will be fraudulent and once it is dicovered (even years later) you will be deported; or

2b) if you admit that you got married then your visa will be cancelled and you will be refused landing.

Law clearly requires you to notify visa post about any changes (especially in family composition) immediately after they happen. It is stated in bold text in every letter you ever received from visa post.

Don't make stupid decision, don't ruin your life. Notify visa post immediately and add your spouse to the process before visa is issued.

If you got married after you landed as PR then you must sponsor your spouse for PR visa, you cannot just "update" your status.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Aug 15th 2007 at 5:28 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Updating my marital status at my immigrant application....?-- For Andrew

Originally Posted by badSponsor
Just a quick question, please (I'm sorry if considered a bit out of topic)
What can I do if I want to update my marital status AFTER I landed.
Is there anyway to do the correction? How or what should I do?

Thanks in advance!
Depends...did you get married before you landed, or after? If you got married then landed and did not notify the immigration officer on landing, you're screwed, and could quite possibly have your PR status revoked.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:27 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Depends...did you get married before you landed, or after? If you got married then landed and did not notify the immigration officer on landing, you're screwed, and could quite possibly have your PR status revoked.
The poster of the questions knows it, failed to declare her marriage, sponsorship has already been refused, also has been warned that will be reported for misrepresentation. Clutching at straws.