Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Updated service for obtaining Police Certificates.

Wikiposts

Updated service for obtaining Police Certificates.

Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:46 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Updated service for obtaining Police Certificates.

There is nothing wrong with the old system except maybe some forces were pushing it fairly close to the 40 day limit.

I hope you are wrong about the "information from other sources" but suspect you may be on to something. As a teacher in the Uk records of any allegations against you are kept on file meaning that any little scrote with a bee in their bonnet can effectively screw up your career , "no smoke without fire", right?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaffaMafia
Biiiiink. I'm not a police officer but I do work in the Information Management Team at Staffs police.

The new change in the Subject Access process is that a few weeks ago a pilot scheme was launched by ACRO - the ACPO Criminal Records Office in conjunction with the embassies of Australia, New Zealand, Canada and The USA. This pilot scheme "centralised" the obtaining of police checks for people traveling or emigrating to those four countries. I say centralised because the subject access checks were already carried out at a central location - they were done by NIS (The National Identification Service) at New Scotland Yard. But now the whole process (application AND the checks) is all done in one location - with ACPO.

I would point out that the Subject Access service is still available but it can't be used for travelers or immigrants to those four countries. In fact as of 31st March US embassies will no longer accept subject access checks as part of the visa process - I had a change made to our website at Staffs to point out that as of today we would no longer accept subject access applications for travelers to the USA because there was no guarantee that you could get your subject access check back and have an appointment at the US embassy before that date!!

There is also the possibility that sometime in the next few weeks the other three embassies will also stop accepting subject access checks but none of them have made any announcements to that fact so far!!

I hope I have answered all your questions but if you have anymore you know where to find me!!
Interesting to read that, as two major migration agents that post on the Australian forum have advised that people should continue to apply for Subject Access checks as DIAC )the Aussie Immigration dept) have not yet said whether they will accept these new checks or not.
People who are supplying checks for migration to Australia at present are still using the Subject Access route as usual.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

MissyDan will become famous soon enoughMissyDan will become famous soon enough

Surely it doesn't make sense for the visa offices to say that this should be used and will be the only one accepted if it is still on a trial basis as mentioned by others.

Wouldn't it be prudent for them to say this only after it has been tried and tested before committing to this
Old Feb 16th 2008, 8:21 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaffaMafia
You need to check your facts. Nobody (whether they are an individual or an organisation) who holds personal data is exempt from the Data Protection Act. What ACPO are is exempt from the Freedom of Information Act 2000 - which although in some places overlaps with the DPA they are both totally different and separate pieces of legislation!!!
Yep you got me. Well spotted.

My mistake.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:12 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been watching this thread with interest as I will shortly be applying for a Police Check myself. This will be for a Bunac working holiday visa. The ACPO website talks about 'immigration' visas....anyone know of any reason why the ACPO check would not be ok for Bunac? There's nothing on the Bunac website.
I'm assuming it would be ok seeing as it all goes to CHC anyway, but does anyone have any thoughts to the contrary?
Cheers
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:36 am
Just Joined

kumba is just really nicekumba is just really nicekumba is just really nicekumba is just really nicekumba is just really nicekumba is just really nicekumba is just really nicekumba is just really nicekumba is just really nicekumba is just really nice

CIC London is accepting new police clearence from ACPO as i they have granted me permit to work in Canada.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:43 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the real question is , will they still accept the old ones? If they accepted them when there was no alternative I would be very interested to hear why they require this new clearance at three times the price.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Hi,

I am trying to get a job offer and a TWP. Do you need police checks for a TWP or only for PR? Also, if I do need police checks done, will you still need one for your time in a foreign country where you were not officially classed as a resident? I currently work and stay in Holland, I am working for a UK company, and I pay UK tax. I have a Dutch bank account which my wages get paid into, I rent a house and have utility bills but officially I am just a temporary worker. You need to have been here for two years before you qualify for residency status.
Old May 1st 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Wheylho is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone explain why this new ACPO process applies only to the four listed countries? I may be relocating to an African country and it appears that the ACPO document would meet one of their requirements. I noticed that email replies from ACPO seem to indicate that particular staff are assigned to particular countries but I can't see why this would be necessary if all that is done is a check of the same records. Could the countries in question be getting a kick-back for insisting on the ACPO form? Is it to protect ACPO from come-back when/if another country does not accept the ACPO document? Perhaps ACPO are planning to issue the documents in other languages for other countries? Do ACPO are if you use the document in a country other than the one declared on the form?
Old May 1st 2008, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wheylho
Can anyone explain why this new ACPO process applies only to the four listed countries?
Because they're 4 countries which require checks that most UK emigrants head for. It seems like a money-making venture for UK police who obviously had too many enquiries at the bargain price of a tenner under the old system. The old system is still available to anyone who asks though, and CIC are accepting either (excepting a few hiccups with the ACPO one its early days!).

You need to check what your intended country requires, it's nothing to do with any other authority.
Old May 1st 2008, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Hi,

I am trying to get a job offer and a TWP. Do you need police checks for a TWP or only for PR?
I think only certain jobs require a check for TWP? Jobs in healthcare or with children. But I'm not sure, so start a new thread where those who know will be able to see and answer - your question is buried too deep in this one!
Old May 5th 2008, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Are you Police JaffaMaffia? Can you tell us what "the recent changes to the Subject Access process" are? There's another thread here where we were trying to figure it out. Thanks
Hi Biiink

We have just had Subject Access police checks done.at £10 each, no problems at all. You do have to remember to ask for subject Access Under Data protection Act and don't mention immigration. Use their forms and not the CHC forms and they will be none the wiser. You will then have saved yourself a packet too.

My husband is a Police Officer and as this is a pilot for which you are paying....they cannot legally insist you go down the ACPO checks route. Ie You pay your money and you take your choice. We had no problems at all.

Bear in mind also that you may cast doubt over the entire application if you quite rightly declare previous convictions and then get an Acpo check that because they are deemed 'spent' do not feel the need to give them any mention. I think this is the reason CHC are a tad sceptical of the ACPO checks.

We have no convictions, needless to say, but why pay more than you have to in any case. Isn't the whole process expensive enough guys????
lol
Stef and Lins