Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

updated police certificates from where?

updated police certificates from where?

Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:23 am
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future
Default updated police certificates from where?

Hi
We hope that we are getting to the stage when we will be asked for updated police certificates (I live in hope!).
However we submitted our appn in Aug 2004 and then moved to Ontario in Apr 2005. When we have to get our updated certificates, do we have to get them from Canada or from UK or from both to cover the entire period since the application was lodged? Does everyone get asked for updated police certificates? Oh and how long do they last? I notice most people are getting them before being asked but how long before? i.e. if our AOR date is 7 Oct 2004, when should we get them do you think?
Thanks

Last edited by sydney; Aug 8th 2006 at 2:25 am.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:10 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: updated police certificates from where?

Originally Posted by sydney
Hi
We hope that we are getting to the stage when we will be asked for updated police certificates (I live in hope!).
However we submitted our appn in Aug 2004 and then moved to Ontario in Apr 2005. When we have to get our updated certificates, do we have to get them from Canada or from UK or from both to cover the entire period since the application was lodged? Does everyone get asked for updated police certificates? Oh and how long do they last? I notice most people are getting them before being asked but how long before? i.e. if our AOR date is 7 Oct 2004, when should we get them do you think?
Thanks
I presume that you informed the visa office of your whereabouts. In any case you will need to supply both UK and RCMP certificates.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:11 am
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I presume that you informed the visa office of your whereabouts. In any case you will need to supply both UK and RCMP certificates.
Thanks for the info. As we are in Ontario, I presume that we get OPP certificates rather than RCMP?
With regard to letting the visa office know about our whereabouts, our lawyer has kept them informed.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:05 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. As we are in Ontario, I presume that we get OPP certificates rather than RCMP?
With regard to letting the visa office know about our whereabouts, our lawyer has kept them informed.
It is the RCMP certificate that you get. They run the national police data base.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get an updated police cert from UK while in Canada, I found the website of my local police (in my case Essex) and I found it under 'Freedom of Information' section or something like that. You have to go through your last local police when you were in uk. you can apply for it via post, i had to send a copy of my passport and my original birthcertifcate along with a utility bill. They sent the original docs back in about 2 weeks and then my police cert in about a month.

Hope that helps
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:30 am
Here at last!!!

Thank you both very much.
Do you think that we should get them now (as everyone seems to be trying to preempt the request) or should we wait?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:29 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Thank you both very much.
Do you think that we should get them now (as everyone seems to be trying to preempt the request) or should we wait?
If I'm not mistaken, the RCMP certificates take something silly like 150 working days to get (that's 30 weeks! ), so you might as well apply for them now...
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Al &Cand is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Wannabe
If I'm not mistaken, the RCMP certificates take something silly like 150 working days to get (that's 30 weeks! ), so you might as well apply for them now...

We have applied to the London office under the SW category and have just completed our medicals and an updated UK police check. Does anyone know if we would need this RCMP check having been in BC for over six months on an extended holiday visa? The CHC didn't ask for it but I'm guessing that was because they didn't know we are in Canada?!

Thanks
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Al &Cand
We have applied to the London office under the SW category and have just completed our medicals and an updated UK police check. Does anyone know if we would need this RCMP check having been in BC for over six months on an extended holiday visa? The CHC didn't ask for it but I'm guessing that was because they didn't know we are in Canada?!

Thanks
I hope you have kept your status in Canada legal. Most visitors are allowed only up to 6 months.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

I hope you have kept your status in Canada legal. Most visitors are allowed only up to 6 months.
Yes we are legal...we got an extension until sept.

Does anyone know if we need to do this RCMP check because we have been in the Canada over six months as tourists

thanks
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:23 am

Yes we are legal...we got an extension until sept.

Does anyone know if we need to do this RCMP check because we have been in the Canada over six months as tourists

thanks
Aside from the fee for taking your fingerprins they cost nothing so perhaps as an insurance you should get them done. Did you reveal your application for PR on your request for an extension of your temprary status?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Aside from the fee for taking your fingerprins they cost nothing so perhaps as an insurance you should get them done. Did you reveal your application for PR on your request for an extension of your temprary status?
Yes we did reveal that we had a SW application in progress when we got the extension. In fact they asked us so they obviously had it on record. We just went to the border and told them that we would like to extend our rec trip to see BC in the summer and to make sure we were making the right choice in moving to Canada etc ....and they stamped our passports there and then and gave us another five months, which was what we asked for.

As for the RCMP check we were told that they cost approx $60 per person and could take up to six months?! We were also told by our local police station in Abbotsford that there are three types of checks available and we therefore need to make sure we get the right one (although the lady at the police station couldn't tell us what one that was!)....so as you can see we are well and truly confused

We are now starting to wonder if our traveling around Canada for over six months while waiting for our PR has in fact delayed our application because when they receive our meds, updated info and UK police checks (that was sent a few days ago) instead of sending us our PPR they will realise that we have been in Canada for this period of time and will want this police check from Canada that takes a long time to come back.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we did reveal that we had a SW application in progress when we got the extension. In fact they asked us so they obviously had it on record. We just went to the border and told them that we would like to extend our rec trip to see BC in the summer and to make sure we were making the right choice in moving to Canada etc ....and they stamped our passports there and then and gave us another five months, which was what we asked for.

As for the RCMP check we were told that they cost approx $60 per person and could take up to six months?! We were also told by our local police station in Abbotsford that there are three types of checks available and we therefore need to make sure we get the right one (although the lady at the police station couldn't tell us what one that was!)....so as you can see we are well and truly confused

We are now starting to wonder if our traveling around Canada for over six months while waiting for our PR has in fact delayed our application because when they receive our meds, updated info and UK police checks (that was sent a few days ago) instead of sending us our PPR they will realise that we have been in Canada for this period of time and will want this police check from Canada that takes a long time to come back.

Does anyone have any past experience of the above? We are wondering whether we should apply for the Canadian (RCMP?) police check because we have been in Canada (legally on a rec trip)for over six months whilst waiting for our PR...we have just sent in our meds and UK police checks and don't want to delay our application any more. Does anyone think they will now ask us for a RCMP check rather than issue our PPR's? We fly back to the UK in a few weeks so would need to get the Canadian checks done asap if we need them ....any thoughts?!

...also does anyone know if it is the RCMP check that we need and how much it is and how long it takes approx?

Thanks Al & Cand

Last edited by Al &Cand; Aug 11th 2006 at 2:26 pm. Reason: wanted to add more
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:38 pm

Does anyone have any past experience of the above? We are wondering whether we should apply for the Canadian (RCMP?) police check because we have been in Canada (legally on a rec trip)for over six months whilst waiting for our PR...we have just sent in our meds and UK police checks and don't want to delay our application any more. Does anyone think they will now ask us for a RCMP check rather than issue our PPR's? We fly back to the UK in a few weeks so would need to get the Canadian checks done asap if we need them ....any thoughts?!

...also does anyone know if it is the RCMP check that we need and how much it is and how long it takes approx?

Thanks Al & Cand
The fact is that a visa officer may ask for a Canadian police certificate and the only one that they would accept is the RCMP one. But, they may not ask for one so it is up to you. If they follow their rules closely they will ask if not you are home free.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I had to get an updated police cert from UK while in Canada, I found the website of my local police (in my case Essex) and I found it under 'Freedom of Information' section or something like that. You have to go through your last local police when you were in uk. you can apply for it via post, i had to send a copy of my passport and my original birthcertifcate along with a utility bill. They sent the original docs back in about 2 weeks and then my police cert in about a month.
Each police force does things differently. Hampshire don't provide their forms on the web: you write to them, they send a partly-filled in form back in the post. Then you supply a photocopy of two forms of ID, and don't need to send originals of anything.

K.