Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

University transcripts and certificates

University transcripts and certificates

Old Aug 18th 2002, 9:17 pm
Philippa

Default University transcripts and certificates

I'm putting together skilled worker application.

My (UK) universities seem a bit baffled by the concept of a transcript (which I'd
never heard of before!). I have certificates of my degrees which clearly show what
degree I gained (subject, level etc), do I need to get the transcripts too or would
copies of the certificates do?

Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 18th 2002, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

ajadudu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: University transcripts and certificates

Originally posted by Philippa:
I'm putting together skilled worker application.

My (UK) universities seem a bit baffled by the concept of a transcript (which I'd
never heard of before!). I have certificates of my degrees which clearly show what
degree I gained (subject, level etc), do I need to get the transcripts too or would
copies of the certificates do?

Thanks for your help.
For skilled worker application, I believe all you need are the certificates you got from your university. You dont need trabscripts (your academic records) to get a job either, you will only need your transcript if you are planning to attend a university in canada. If that is the case your university will send your transcripts to the university in canada directly.
Old Aug 19th 2002, 1:11 am
The Wizzard

although i dont need them in a spousal case i wanted to get transcripts of my UK
university degree just to bring with me to Canada inc ase i ever do further study
etc. They also seemed a bit confused and then informed me they wont do a transcript
until at least a year after you graduate, which was strange. they then gave me copies
of each years mark sheets which are in effect a transcipt as they show what courses i
took and what marks i got but they are only print outs an not on any official
university paper etc. It seems transcripts are not a common UK thing. I believe thi
sis because in say the US or Canada you get a lot more freedom of choise in what
courses you choose to make a degree, so two people could have majors in computer
science but have done, apart from some core compnents, very different courses. Yet in
the UK degrees are still more traditional and the courses are more laid out by each
faculty to be specific to that degree so there is no major or minor etc, its all done
towards what the main subject is. They also have no GPA like north american
universities and instead have the traditional honours grading system, so all an
employer/post graduate course, needs to know is if yoru degree was 1st class or upper
second or did you only get a pass etc, and doesnt need to see transcripts of
individual marks and grade points because the final honours classifications ums it
all up. Im not sure if you *have* to have transcripts, UK degrees are pretty well
recognised and CHC london should be able to see a genuine certificate etc, without
worrying about it being a fake from a 3rd world country. if they need one then you
will jsut have to speak to your faculty office at the university you went to nicely
and explain all you need are official print outs of what courses you did and what
marks you got.

Drew

"Philippa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > I'm putting together skilled worker application.
    > My (UK) universities seem a bit baffled by the concept of a transcript (which I'd
    > never heard of before!). I have certificates of my degrees which clearly show what
    > degree I gained (subject, level etc), do I need to get the transcripts too or would
    > copies of the certificates do?
    > Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 19th 2002, 3:03 am
Andrew Miller

New documents requirements ask clearly for transcripts to be provided in the envelope
originally sealed by the university and there is no problem to get such as far as I
know, regardless how "baffled" university administration may be.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE from the above address before
sending email)

om
    > My (UK) universities seem a bit baffled by the concept of a transcript (which I'd
    > never heard of before!). I have certificates of my degrees which clearly show what
    > degree I gained (subject, level etc), do I need to get the transcripts too or would
    > Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 19th 2002, 3:30 am
Zaqxsw

Dear Andrew,

Do not be that sure, it depends on which university you are talking about.

Andrew Miller <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]
t
    > New documents requirements ask clearly for transcripts to be provided in
the
    > envelope originally sealed by the university and there is no problem to
get
    > such as far as I know, regardless how "baffled" university administration
may
    > be.
    > --
    > ../..
    > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
    > [email protected] (delete REMOVE from the above address before
    > sending email)
    > ________________________________
    > "Philippa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > .com
    > > I'm putting together skilled worker application.
    > >
    > > My (UK) universities seem a bit baffled by the concept of a transcript (which I'd
    > > never heard of before!). I have certificates of my degrees which clearly show
    > > what degree I gained (subject, level etc), do I need to get the transcripts too
    > > or would copies of the certificates do?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 19th 2002, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point

a transcript is sometimes called a marksheet. its basically a list of the courses you have completed, and your grade or marks obtained in each of those courses.

no matter where you do your degree or diploma, you get along with it (or sometimes you may need to request one) a official document that tells you what courses were included in the program, as well as how you scored in it.

get that, make a copy and get it notarized. thats what a notarized transcript is.
Old Aug 20th 2002, 9:13 am
Berto Volpentesta

Transcripts of courses and marks can be very useful in a skilled worker application.

You should include them.

--
All responses IMHO and no one else's.

Berto Volpentesta Member OPIC, Director OPIC

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving People Around the World Since 1991
www.svcanada.com

321-3701 Chesswood Dr., Toronto, ON M3J 2P6 Canada

Berto Volpentesta +1(416) 398 8882 Office +1(416) 787 0612 Office 2 +1(416) 892 2916
Cell e-mail: [email protected] ICQ#: 50212503 SMS ICQ): +278314250212503

om
    > Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 3:02 pm
Zaqxsw

bighead <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > a transcript is sometimes called a marksheet. its basically a list of the courses
    > you have completed, and your grade or marks obtained in each of those courses.

You are right, sometimes it is called notification of performance, and it is issued
along with the certificate from some universities, I just do not see how an
immigration officer can extract dinstinguishable information from one's marksheet (a
professor might/and can compare them when he/she try to select a higher degree
condidate from applicants).

Are they really interested in your marks? I doubt that it is just a piece of
evidence in their eyes that you have that degree you claimed. It is pity that there
are applications with fake documents, and it is those applications spoiled the
immigration process, but as long as the current paper-screen system stands as the
only selection system, it will attract fake applications, and there will be 2 or 3
requirements from diffirent angles for every single claim, and endless verification
and confirmation. You want your process within 1 year? no way!

> get that, make a copy and get it notarized. thats what a notarized transcript is.

Wrong, you have to spend money to get a copy in university-sealed envelope, even you
have the sheet along with your certificate.

BTW, just some IQ tests, what if original transcript is not in English/French? how do
you include it in an university-sealed envelope? What if a person who writes you a
working reference has no namecard? can you guarantee that person will not leave the
company after he/she writes you the letter for later (probably 1-2 years later)
verification?

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Jkhan is an unknown quantity at this point

I submitted transcripts in my package. Only certificates of degrees are not enough. Transcripts clearly record what coures you have taken and the name of thesis of your program.