University sealed envelopes

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:42 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default University sealed envelopes

There is reference made in the checklist that all University transcripts need to be in envelopes sealed by the University. My OH's were in processing when we read this - he is the Principal applicant - but I ordered 2 for a job application last year and they are not in sealed envelopes.
How important is this?

They say they cannot put them in an envelope now because they are so old (even though the information has not changed!)
I would order new ones, but they are taking longer at the moment due to graduation, there is no priority service and OH flies out with the application stuff in 15 days!
Any comment welcome!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:21 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University sealed envelopes

What I learned during my application process is that CIC may sometimes let you get away with things like notorising documents etc but when it comes to backing up the points you claim with an evidance, it is very unlikely that they will accept anything you provide them. So if they are asking for an officially sealed envelope direct from the institution to prove your education, then make sure you include that within your docs. Cuz we all know how keen CIC is these days to reject applications to reduce the backlog. The caseworker wont have to look too hard for a reason to send you a regret letter if something important is missing from your proof of records.

Last edited by Edo; Aug 2nd 2010 at 2:26 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't send mine in a sealed envelope and I was granted PR. Read into that what you will.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:03 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I didn't send mine in a sealed envelope and I was granted PR. Read into that what you will.
Confused!!!
It seems so arbitrary! I have had similar conflicting replies to another thread about notarising documents.
My OH has a job and leaves in 3 weeks to start work. For practical reasons to do with selling our house etc we decided to get PR approved before I go over there (either that or he is trying to get rid of me in stages)
We are both very upset at having to be apart and want to do everything to get this approved so that we can be together again. I couldn't bear it if we were rejected over something so small
This is the Visa document checklist for London that I am referring to, of course, not CIO.
The instructions say one thing and then say another and are very inconsistent. I am getting worried about whether I am doing the right thing.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Originally Posted by helcat12
There is reference made in the checklist that all University transcripts need to be in envelopes sealed by the University. My OH's were in processing when we read this - he is the Principal applicant - but I ordered 2 for a job application last year and they are not in sealed envelopes.
How important is this?

They say they cannot put them in an envelope now because they are so old (even though the information has not changed!)
I would order new ones, but they are taking longer at the moment due to graduation, there is no priority service and OH flies out with the application stuff in 15 days!
Any comment welcome!
My old university no longer provides transcripts.

So they gave me a letter 'To whom it may concern' explaining their reasons. I sent this with a photocopy of my degree certificate and that was enough.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not planning to get sealed ones for mine, they can go stuff themselves for such a stupid requirement after I've already spent so much on a police certificate and language test.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:47 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I'm not planning to get sealed ones for mine, they can go stuff themselves for such a stupid requirement after I've already spent so much on a police certificate and language test.
I just can't believe that they refused to put the one I had into an envelope and seal it with their stamp. It's obviously the real thing, all hologramed and everything, OK it is from last year, but the information is 20 years old!
How mean is that?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Me too. I opened the envelope in error (doh!) - so sent the transcript without an envelope but said I'd enclosed a 'sealed transcript' as it was laminated. They didn't ask for another one so it must've been ok. I didn't get any of my docs notarised either.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you had a short time to get PR?!? That's just likely to delay things as they'll no doubt ask for them.

Plus most uni's don't even charge for them, I know ours didn't.

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Thought you had a short time to get PR?!? That's just likely to delay things as they'll no doubt ask for them.

Our uni transcripts were free and came in a week.

Like Edo says, and as someone who applied in 2007, I have noticed that CHC seemed to be less flexible these days. Before the occupation list was introduced I remember posts where CHC have phoned people up who haven't had enough points to discuss ways of upping them, also calls/emails to advise that paperwork not in order, giving applicants the chance to put right. I personally know one guy who made a bit of a hash of his application and he was called for interview to sort it out. It seems you could get away with more in the 'old days'.

Recent posts would suggest CHC seem to be much harsher - almost looking for reasons to reject applicants applying under the new system. There have been posts on here (and elsewhere) from distressed people whose credit cards haven't worked and they have been rejected straight away, and rejections for people who haven't provided correct paperwork.

I'm not saying that merely sending an unsealed transcript would be your downfall, but I would personally do everything by the letter if possible - you might just get a jobsworth case officer.

Last edited by singingringingtree; Aug 3rd 2010 at 8:55 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:57 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Our uni transcripts were free and came in a week.

Recent posts would suggest CHC seem to be much harsher - almost looking for reasons to reject applicants applying under the new system. There have been posts on here (and elsewhere) from distressed people whose credit cards haven't worked and they have been rejected straight away, and rejections for people who haven't provided correct paperwork.

I'm not saying that merely sending an unsealed transcript would be your downfall, but I would personally do everything by the letter if possible - you might just get a jobsworth case officer.
Wow, that makes Liverpool University seem very mean and very slow!
They charge £25 for an official degree transcript and £5 for any additional copies and "usually" get them out in 10 working days, but not for most of the Summer when they get in a flap about graduation and this results in a huge backlog!
I have just ordered a new one just to be safe, despite having a spare one (because it now needs to be sealed by the Uni - see my previous post!) and am panicking about it getting here for 20th August, which is the last working day before OH flies out with paperwork.
It seems to me, as I read the posts on various threads here and look at the posters' histories, that the officers are much less well disposed towards Cat 1 FSW than those with arranged employment. Cat 2 applicants seem to get a bit more consideration, while Cat 1 seem to get rejected for the slightest thing. (I suppose they will be even stricter now that there is a limit on the number of people admitted from each NOC category.) Is this Cat 1 vs Cat 2 treatment difference generally true?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice

Originally Posted by humanist
My old university no longer provides transcripts.

So they gave me a letter 'To whom it may concern' explaining their reasons. I sent this with a photocopy of my degree certificate and that was enough.
I got the same for Kingston University in London.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, I went to Kingston Uni too So they don't actually provide sealed transcripts anyway?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I'm not convinced they will, I mean is it really that vital? Even if Kingston do provide them it doesn't look like they will be free as well.

What does "sealed" even mean anyway? That the university has to stamp the letter closed with a bit of wax or something? I have my original transcripts and the envelope I got them in from my university but it's been opened.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Aug 3rd 2010 at 4:54 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:47 pm
Island life at last

Cool, I went to Kingston Uni too So they don't actually provide sealed transcripts anyway?

I'm not convinced they will, I mean is it really that vital? Even if Kingston do provide them it doesn't look like they will be free as well.

What does "sealed" even mean anyway? That the university has to stamp the letter closed with a bit of wax or something? I have my original transcripts and the envelope I got them in from my university but it's been opened.
Sealed from my University meant a plain brown envelope that could have been purchased anywhere, stuck down with sellotape with a ballpoint pen scrawl that could have been anyone's signature and the University stamp on the envelope (but not over the sellotape, as it would have rubbed off!).
The only thing on there that I could not have faked is the University stamp.
The transcripts themselves are non-photocopiable as they are hologramed and on very fancy background patterned paper, so opened or not, they cannot be amended or falsified.
Rampant money making from my lot, I feel, but £20 for peace of mind on my PR is, as the adverts say, priceless.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered mine from Northumbria, they said they would invoice me for the 25 quid..... I guess the invoice was in the sealed envelope I sent to CIC because it never came later!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.