University entrance

Old Jan 30th 2005, 1:52 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default University entrance

Hi we are in a slight state of anxiety, and wondered if anyone could advise or had been through a similar situation.

We have applied as skilled worker via London CHC, and had our AOR dated Feb 9th 2004.

Our son is finishing his "A" levels and wishes to attend Calgary Uni to do a degree in engineering. We have every hope that we will be landed immigrants by Autumn this year, but obviously have no guarantees, and can provide no documents to say that this will be the case. What is his best route?

Should he apply as landed immigrant (to be), or should he try to get a study permit? I do not really see that he should have to apply as a foreign student as this will be much more expensive, and once we are there he will a Canadian resident in his own right.

What should we do?

Morwenna
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:09 pm
Lyles

Default Re: University entrance

Hi Morweena,

SNAP! Our AOR is 25th Feb 2004.

It can be so frustrating trying to plan ahead without direction. I'm just wondering if the University would be able to give your son a conditional place pending the PR. Not sure they'll agree to it though. Or perhaps find out what their cancellation policy is. If you didn't receive the go ahead by the time he is due to start Uni, would you send him as an international student and pay the fees? If so, you could always make a deposit and then withdraw the international application and get him to reapply under the PR status if they would accept that, of course.

Tricky one.

By the way, did your AOR say they may not be contacting you for 15 or 18 months? Mine said 18 months, but I've seen that other people's who have applied via London, says only 15 months.

Cheers Lyles
Originally Posted by Morwenna
Hi we are in a slight state of anxiety, and wondered if anyone could advise or had been through a similar situation.

We have applied as skilled worker via London CHC, and had our AOR dated Feb 9th 2004.

Our son is finishing his "A" levels and wishes to attend Calgary Uni to do a degree in engineering. We have every hope that we will be landed immigrants by Autumn this year, but obviously have no guarantees, and can provide no documents to say that this will be the case. What is his best route?

Should he apply as landed immigrant (to be), or should he try to get a study permit? I do not really see that he should have to apply as a foreign student as this will be much more expensive, and once we are there he will a Canadian resident in his own right.

What should we do?

Morwenna

Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:27 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this on other some places and had a few replies......upshot is, he has lodged his application:the deadline was Feb 1st.

People seem to think that the uni might insist he apply as overseas student, but that they may adjust his fees according to his status as and when.

We are contacting the university direct to ask their advice on this; after all, it is probably NOT a completely unknown scenario.

Our Aor Feb 9th, quoted 15 months to hear. I know that some January AOR's have had news, so am quite optimistic at this point that we shall get out there in time, but if not, he'll just have to apply for a study permit and be the advance guard!!

(assuming he is offered a place!) :scared:

I feel surprisingly chilled about everything today....must be the paint fumes (the house-doctor thing is happening!)
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:00 pm
Lyles

Probably best to get it from the horses mouth. Good to hear that some January AOR's have had word already - any chance you know what their expected waiting time was?

Hope you get that envelope soon.

Lyles

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I posted this on other some places and had a few replies......upshot is, he has lodged his application:the deadline was Feb 1st.

People seem to think that the uni might insist he apply as overseas student, but that they may adjust his fees according to his status as and when.

We are contacting the university direct to ask their advice on this; after all, it is probably NOT a completely unknown scenario.

Our Aor Feb 9th, quoted 15 months to hear. I know that some January AOR's have had news, so am quite optimistic at this point that we shall get out there in time, but if not, he'll just have to apply for a study permit and be the advance guard!!

(assuming he is offered a place!) :scared:

I feel surprisingly chilled about everything today....must be the paint fumes (the house-doctor thing is happening!)