An unhelpful past employer

Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:48 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light
Default An unhelpful past employer

Hello again

I've nearly finished preparing my CIC application, I am still waiting for a reference from one past employer, of 7 years ago.

To put it nicely, although part of a large group, this particular division was not very organised when it came to personnel records. So they do not have a copy of my contract- I dont think I ever had one, and to this end they hinted that they may not be able to help me with a reference- as they are reluctant to provide info that they cannot substantiate.
This I feel is quite disgusting as I fulfilled my contractual obligation with them and parted company on good terms.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can best deal with this company as I am now worried that I cannot account for 2 years of employment. Or what to do on the application if nothing is achieved with this firm.

Thankyou

Darren
Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: An unhelpful past employer

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hello again

I've nearly finished preparing my CIC application, I am still waiting for a reference from one past employer, of 7 years ago.

To put it nicely, although part of a large group, this particular division was not very organised when it came to personnel records. So they do not have a copy of my contract- I dont think I ever had one, and to this end they hinted that they may not be able to help me with a reference- as they are reluctant to provide info that they cannot substantiate.
This I feel is quite disgusting as I fulfilled my contractual obligation with them and parted company on good terms.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can best deal with this company as I am now worried that I cannot account for 2 years of employment. Or what to do on the application if nothing is achieved with this firm.

Thankyou

Darren
Hi Darren
I can tell you that if i was to submit referances from my employers over the last ten years i would be having a very difficult time indeed. I work in health care ordinarily and they do not give references and the matrons etc that were employed in the Nursing Homes i worked in have since left.

Are you able to get a statement that just states you were employed between such and such dates.? is it written on your tax statements?
i am from australia and these things are on tax dockets etc.
good luck
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:12 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Hi Darren
I can tell you that if i was to submit referances from my employers over the last ten years i would be having a very difficult time indeed. I work in health care ordinarily and they do not give references and the matrons etc that were employed in the Nursing Homes i worked in have since left.

Are you able to get a statement that just states you were employed between such and such dates.? is it written on your tax statements?
i am from australia and these things are on tax dockets etc.
good luck
Hi Darren,

Dont give up. As far as I understand, you have to proove beyond doubt that you were employed and what you did.

My advise would be to make it as easy for your ex-employer as possible.

Write the reference letter for them, so all they have to do is put it on their letterhead,

send them tax statement copies so they can cover their ass, that you realy worked for them.

...anything else that will make it easy.

Dont give up, if nothing else helps get an attourney. I know that in some countries (e.g. Germany) you have a legal right to a reference letter (dont know about the UK).

As I understand it being difficult is not enough to waive CICs request for the reference. You would have to proove that it is impossible.

Good luck and keep us updated
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:16 am
Just Joined

samm is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, make it easier for your employer by writing the reference letter for them, complete with all the details of your employment, just like what I did. This way they don't have any excuse of going through old files or whatever.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by mhhp
Hi Darren,

Dont give up. As far as I understand, you have to proove beyond doubt that you were employed and what you did.

My advise would be to make it as easy for your ex-employer as possible.

Write the reference letter for them, so all they have to do is put it on their letterhead,

send them tax statement copies so they can cover their ass, that you realy worked for them.

...anything else that will make it easy.

Dont give up, if nothing else helps get an attourney. I know that in some countries (e.g. Germany) you have a legal right to a reference letter (dont know about the UK).

As I understand it being difficult is not enough to waive CICs request for the reference. You would have to proove that it is impossible.

Good luck and keep us updated