Wikiposts

'unemcumbered by debts'

Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'unemcumbered by debts'

Hi
Does this apply the entire family or just the lead applicant?
Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'unemcumbered by debts'

Originally Posted by ducktastic
Hi
Does this apply the entire family or just the lead applicant?
Thanks
What are you referring to, and for what type of visa?

You can go to Canada with debts, no problem, you just need to make arrangements to pay them back from over there just as you would in the UK. I've never heard of applicants having to be 'unencumbered by debts' but don't know which route you're taking.

Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

Hmm. I would have thought that everyone who is on the application would be aggregated. After all the "funds" are necessary to demonstrate you can support yourselves (i.e. all of you) on arrival in Canada. Therefore, if you've got $30k credit but your partner has $40k worth of dept collectively you're insolvent.

Just an opinion. Doubtless someone on here will have specific experience to share.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What are you referring to, and for what type of visa?

You can go to Canada with debts, no problem, you just need to make arrangements to pay them back from over there just as you would in the UK. I've never heard of applicants having to be 'unencumbered by debts' but don't know which route you're taking.

Hi - this is for the PR skilled worker app to BC. The application read like they only wanted proof of funds from the lead applicant (my husband). So we only included proof of funds from him. I have some credit card debt that would be clear by the time we go, but we didn't mention it as we didn't think we had to!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:17 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - this is for the PR skilled worker app to BC. The application read like they only wanted proof of funds from the lead applicant (my husband). So we only included proof of funds from him. I have some credit card debt that would be clear by the time we go, but we didn't mention it as we didn't think we had to!
That's fine. I didn't put down my student loans. You just have to demonstrate you have the required funds so that they know when you arrive you will be able to support yourself whilst finding work.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As James said, that's absolutely fine. Lots of people head off to Canada with debts and just make arrangements to pay them back from there, it's no problem. CIC do not do a credit check anyway.

As long as he has supplied proof of funds for all of you (i.e. if 2 of you on the application, then he needs the figure for 2 people etc) then no problems.

Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

As far as I remember you're not asked about debts. You are just asked to declare the amount of liquidated funds you have available. However, OP6 is quite clear on how the value of those funds should be presented, from section 9.2 below.

The funds must be:
• available and transferable;
• unencumbered by debts or other obligations.

Without a credit reference check I'm not sure how CIC can satisfy themselves that this is the case. For most simple debts (credit cards, loans, etc.) I should imagine that CIC aren't that concerned. You'll still be able to settle these debts under your current arrangements, e.g. monthly payments, and no one should be any the wiser.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all so much - that has really helped and put my mind at rest. Yes our figure and bank statement submitted covers us all for living expenses!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Gary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really nice

Hi

The application can take that long that your financial situation will change several times before you get to land.
It is something you will have time to plan for once the application has been filed.
CHC accepted the equity in our property as our funds using a mortgage statement and a valuation report, not sure if that is still possible to do.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gary and Suzie
Hi

The application can take that long that your financial situation will change several times before you get to land.
It is something you will have time to plan for once the application has been filed.
CHC accepted the equity in our property as our funds using a mortgage statement and a valuation report, not sure if that is still possible to do.
Yes you are right this whole thing takes sooooo long, (we applied on the 28th December 2006, and have just sent back updated documents) you could have made a million, lost a million and made another million in the 4 years it takes to get a flippin PR!!