Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Understanding immigration process.

Understanding immigration process.

Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Daz Holmes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Understanding immigration process.

Hi my name is Darren,
I'm looking to immigrate to canada.
I have an NVQ level 3 in site carpentry, with 6 years of fulltime work experience. Does anyone know how/where i need to send my qualifications off to get converted into a Canadian equivalent?
And is this a necessary step? Say i knew a potential employer through friends that was willing to give me a job offer. Would i still need to get my qualifications transfered over to obtain a visa?

Is the only option to pay for a immigration consultant?

I hope someone can give me some advice.
Thanks.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:55 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Understanding immigration process.

There is no requirement to pay for an immigration consultant unless you have really complicated circumstances.

Have a read of the Wiki, it's linked in the blue bar at the top. YOu will find tons of information there about work permits, various options available to you, and what you might need to do to get your qualifications recognized in Canada.

If you do some more research first and start getting your head more around what visa routes might be open to you (perhaps FSW Trades?) and then post back with some more specific questions you will find that you will get far more useful answers from the people on this forum... but no one will do the work for you.

Good luck!
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 8:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daz Holmes
Does anyone know how/where i need to send my qualifications off to get converted into a Canadian equivalent?
Have your education assessed – Federal skilled workers It's not required for all visas though, and it sounds as though you're looking at a Temp Work Permit? So you wouldn't need it done for that.

Say i knew a potential employer through friends that was willing to give me a job offer.
That's great, finding a job offer is the trickiest bit for most people. And they're willing to do your LMIA application etc?

Definitely not, no point at all for a TWP.

As Schnooks has said, have a good read of the Wiki, and the CIC website and hopefully it will all become clearer. But really, if you've already found a job offer, then the next step is up to the employer, and until they've got the LMIA there's not a lot you can do other than plan the move and hope it's positive!

Best of luck.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 8:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi my name is Darren,
I'm looking to immigrate to canada.
I have an NVQ level 3 in site carpentry, with 6 years of fulltime work experience. Does anyone know how/where i need to send my qualifications off to get converted into a Canadian equivalent?
And is this a necessary step? Say i knew a potential employer through friends that was willing to give me a job offer. Would i still need to get my qualifications transfered over to obtain a visa?

I hope someone can give me some advice.
Thanks.
No point in getting an NVQ equivalency assessment, you will still need to sit the provincial exam to get certified in Canada. There is no trade certification equivalency. You apply to a provincial training authority to challenge the exam, provide proof of 9000 hours experience (varies a little between trades), sit the exam and that is all there is to it.

e.g. http://www.itabc.ca/apply-apprentice...llenging-exams
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Understanding immigration process.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have your education assessed – Federal skilled workers It's not required for all visas though, and it sounds as though you're looking at a Temp Work Permit? So you wouldn't need it done for that.

Eventually i would like permanent residency. A temorary work permint would be quicker to obtain, also i can apply for PR whilst working in Canada on my TWP, right?

That's great, finding a job offer is the trickiest bit for most people. And they're willing to do your LMIA application etc?

Yes, I have a girlfriend in SK who's father is in the skilled trades and knows many carpenters as potential employers. I just need to go out there and introduce myself.

Definitely not, no point at all for a TWP.

As Schnooks has said, have a good read of the Wiki, and the CIC website and hopefully it will all become clearer. But really, if you've already found a job offer, then the next step is up to the employer, and until they've got the LMIA there's not a lot you can do other than plan the move and hope it's positive!

Best of luck.
Thank you for all your help. It has made things all that bit clearer
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Ok great thanks! I've heard of the Red seal challenge carpentry. Is that similar?
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

In your profile it says that you're 25... Have you considered the IEC? It's by no means permanent, but is a really fast way to get to Canada.

International Experience Canada - travel and work in Canada
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 10:59 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Ok great thanks! I've heard of the Red seal challenge carpentry. Is that similar?
Red Seal is an endorsement, the provinces set their own exams, which are Red Seal endorsed.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

palmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to behold

I am also a qualified carpenter(I think the same level as you have). I used the IEC and then onto bc pnp and I didn't have to do anything about my qualification. I had no problems getting work without the red seal qualification, I only worked for 2 companies though.. Maybe other visas have different requirements though, so I would proceed with caution.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 6:44 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by palmerq
I am also a qualified carpenter(I think the same level as you have). I used the IEC and then onto bc pnp and I didn't have to do anything about my qualification. I had no problems getting work without the red seal qualification, I only worked for 2 companies though.. Maybe other visas have different requirements though, so I would proceed with caution.
I could be wrong but my understanding is that if your not red seal qualified you need to be supervised till you get your red seal.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

palmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to beholdpalmerq is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I could be wrong but my understanding is that if your not red seal qualified you need to be supervised till you get your red seal.
well i think it just needs to be signed off by a qualified fellow, we were working on two seismic upgrade new elementary schools in vancouver(so pretty big jobs) and the framing foreman who has years of experience but 0 qualifications. I don't think you need to be directly supervised by a qualified person at all times, well not from my experience and from the other guys I was working with. I think the site manager would count as a qualified surpervisor.