Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

under passmark, but conditions will change in 6 months.

under passmark, but conditions will change in 6 months.

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

NKKK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default under passmark, but conditions will change in 6 months.

I have 3 years and 6 months of work experience
and I collected 65 points at the moment..

6 months later i will have 67 points..

should I apply for PR now or after 6 months later?
which one would process faster?

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 9:38 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: under passmark, but conditions will change in 6 months.

You must meet all selection criteria (including pass mark) at the time of application as well as at the time visa is issued.

6 months from now 67 points may not be enough if Minister decides to raise pass mark this fall, so while you wait for those missing 2 points before applying try to boost your points well above 67 (finding arranged employment is the best way to do it).

You may of course submit application now and take the risk of wasting time and application fee.

Originally Posted by NKKK
I have 3 years and 6 months of work experience
and I collected 65 points at the moment..

6 months later i will have 67 points..

should I apply for PR now or after 6 months later?
which one would process faster?

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

ghitchi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there,

Andrew always comes across a bit negative on here I guess because he doesn't want people to have false hope.

However, immigration is entirely about hope. If it wasn't for hope nobody would immigrate anywhere. As for Risk, well even if you wait 6 months to get your 67 and then apply, the pass mark might be raised later anyway - the pass mark can change at any time to any level so no matter what time you apply you'll never know if you'll qualify or not - the pass-mark system is a guide only, it provides no guaruntees - of success OR failure.

So the risks today are no better or worse than they will be tomorrow meaning that applying is a leap of faith - the very act of applying is inevitably all about hope. So if you have a dream you want to pursue, then now is probably as good a time as any. I wish you the very best of luck.

Gareth H.
Ottawa.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Well said. I think some other factors also matter like how much money you can bring with you and other scenarios like you do have very good credentials but you are unable to secure pass marks. In that case visa officer can use his powers to approve your case. I read it somewhere , correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by orazone; Aug 22nd 2004 at 6:28 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You must meet all selection criteria (including pass mark) at the time of application as well as at the time visa is issued.
Somebody told me you must reach pass marks at the time of assessment. After assessment if minister decides to raise pass marks then your application should'nt get effected. Well may be that was old law or something like that. Not sure.

Under current system i score 69 points. I am expecting my application to get finalized with in next 10-12 months. Suppose i receive passport request and i show up at Consulate Office in Buffalo and the same morning pass marks get changed to 70. Does that mean i will be asked to get lost and forget about that whole immigration thing. My reaction will be :scared: :scared:

Last edited by orazone; Aug 22nd 2004 at 6:29 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

ghitchi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is the Law, and then there is common sense...
There is what the law says and then there's what the immigration people actually do because ultimately: A: they are human and not monsters and B: like most of us they probably want to minimise their own hasstle.

Sending someone for medicals because they passed initial assessment and then changing their mind because the pass mark changed inbetween times is not only a grotesque act of cruelty but it probably makes their own job a lot harder since the government does have immigration targets that CIC never manges to meet and it would only lead to a barrage of complaints and damage to both CIC and Canada's reputation (not unlike the time when they tried to retroactively apply the new system then hastily beat a retreat (and fired the immigration minister) because the idea was universally condemned).

I'm not an immigration minister so don't speak from experience but it would seem to be common sense to make the decision once and only once and then just get the paper work out of the way ASAP. Any immigration minister who goes out of his way to zap people's dreams at every opportunity would have to be a very sad and bitter individual indeed....lets hope we don't get that guy doing our applications!!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:35 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Your analysis is right on from the visa officer's perspective but there are also immigrant flow considerations written in to the Act that might cause them to suddenly lower the pass mark and apply it retroactively. It has been done before in very special economic circumstances of severe economic difficulties and very high unemployment. Similar circumstances might cause the to do it again, but I think the risk is slight.

Originally Posted by ghitchi2
There is the Law, and then there is common sense...
There is what the law says and then there's what the immigration people actually do because ultimately: A: they are human and not monsters and B: like most of us they probably want to minimise their own hasstle.

Sending someone for medicals because they passed initial assessment and then changing their mind because the pass mark changed inbetween times is not only a grotesque act of cruelty but it probably makes their own job a lot harder since the government does have immigration targets that CIC never manges to meet and it would only lead to a barrage of complaints and damage to both CIC and Canada's reputation (not unlike the time when they tried to retroactively apply the new system then hastily beat a retreat (and fired the immigration minister) because the idea was universally condemned).

I'm not an immigration minister so don't speak from experience but it would seem to be common sense to make the decision once and only once and then just get the paper work out of the way ASAP. Any immigration minister who goes out of his way to zap people's dreams at every opportunity would have to be a very sad and bitter individual indeed....lets hope we don't get that guy doing our applications!!!!