Unbelievable Scenario

Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Jeff Michelle is on a distinguished road
Default Unbelievable Scenario

Hi to all, advice needed please.

Michelle and I arrived in Toronto with our baby daughter from London in August last year with a verbal job offer and a supposed LMO in process.

5 months down the line it transpires that my employer can't write a job description and was too embarrassed to tell us !!!!! Mich and I drafted one up which was sent to the Lawyer. Unfortunately my resume and job description were incompatible, and it was likely that the LMO wouldn't be granted.

We are now stranded in Ontario looking for work with an employer who is willing to go through the LMO process. We have to extend our visitor's visa and find work asap to survive because now the business has layed off all their workers. If anyone can help in anyway, it would be much appreciated.

I am a fully qualified stonemason with over 15 yrs building experience.

Cheers, Jeff and Michelle
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unbelievable Scenario

Originally Posted by Jeff Michelle

Michelle and I arrived in Toronto with our baby daughter from London in August last year with a verbal job offer and a supposed LMO in process.

5 months down the line it transpires that my employer can't write a job description and was too embarrassed to tell us !!!!! Mich and I drafted one up which was sent to the Lawyer. Unfortunately my resume and job description were incompatible, and it was likely that the LMO wouldn't be granted.

We are now stranded in Ontario looking for work with an employer who is willing to go through the LMO process. We have to extend our visitor's visa and find work asap to survive because now the business has layed off all their workers. If anyone can help in anyway, it would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm confused - did you have your TWP when you arrived? Or did you just move over without one? So sorry to hear the job has disappeared now, unfortunately it seems to be happening a lot to those with TWP's recently, particularly in construction. Might be worth doing a search of the forums to find posts from others in the same predicament (there have been a lot recently) and then messaging them as they may have some words of wisdom for you.

I hope that there will be somebody on here that can help you, but think you'll need to just 'hit the ground' as it were and start knocking on doors for work. Unfortunately, Ontario doesn't have many skills shortages so it's the worst province to try and find work in as people looking for jobs aren't in short supply - would you consider another province? Have a read of these for some tips............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Labour_Shortages

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada

Do you have enough money to last you another 6 months? It could take that long until you're working so make sure you do. Also, don't forget to extend your travel insurance as you're not covered for healthcare.

Lastly, do you already have your Red Seal? If you can let people on here know that, that will help in case just in case they do have any work available.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm confused - did you have your TWP when you arrived? Or did you just move over without one? So sorry to hear the job has disappeared now, unfortunately it seems to be happening a lot to those with TWP's recently, particularly in construction. Might be worth doing a search of the forums to find posts from others in the same predicament (there have been a lot recently) and then messaging them as they may have some words of wisdom for you.

I hope that there will be somebody on here that can help you, but think you'll need to just 'hit the ground' as it were and start knocking on doors for work. Unfortunately, Ontario doesn't have many skills shortages so it's the worst province to try and find work in as people looking for jobs aren't in short supply - would you consider another province? Have a read of these for some tips............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Labour_Shortages

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada

Do you have enough money to last you another 6 months? It could take that long until you're working so make sure you do. Also, don't forget to extend your travel insurance as you're not covered for healthcare.

Lastly, do you already have your Red Seal? If you can let people on here know that, that will help in case just in case they do have any work available.

Best of luck.
I was assured by the employer that the TWP and LMO would be completed upon arrival. In hindsight I have been very gullable. I don't have my Red Seal at the moment but I shouldn't have many problems as I have my City and Guilds.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:09 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Were you working for him without a TWP then? Or have you just been waiting around since August waiting for him to pull his finger out.

What about looking at another province rather than just the Ontario area?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was assured by the employer that the TWP and LMO would be completed upon arrival. In hindsight I have been very gullable. I don't have my Red Seal at the moment but I shouldn't have many problems as I have my City and Guilds.
The LMO can take several months, so don't understand why you went to Canada before it had even been applied for? As Amy asked, have you been working illegally since August or just waiting for LMO?

And your City & Guilds means nothing in Canada, so to stand the best chance of getting a job, sort your Red Seal out. Might as well do something useful whilst you're job hunting, and then at least you can tell potential employers it's in the pipeline.

Good luck.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road

I didn't have any trouble getting a positive LMO in Ontario...i work in construction (drywaller). I also do not have my red seal...I have my city and guilds just like you...tickets aren't madatory out here so it wont effect your application...city and guilds are also internationally recognised (was proof of trade for me on my skilled worker application) so you will be fine there.
It took 7 months for my LMO to come back...I did however previously work for the employer and came out with enough money to live off of until I was legal to work.
all I can really suggest is apply to any company you can...read the job descriptions page on the cic website and change your resume to match the job description for your trade on there and have an employer apply for a new LMO for you.
Best of luck mate, I know what you are going through.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Unbelievable Scenario better news

Hi Canglish,
Thanks for your reply and I do apologise for not getting back sooner for more info. I was indeed working without the relevent documents. I have been studying the format for several months now.
I managed to secure another verbal offer from a major construction company in Toronto. They have advertised the position on Job Bank and have now applied for an LMO for me. I have since returned to the UK and I am now waiting eagerly for the news. We have moved three times now and I have had three jobs since. I believe that with my perserverence I will eventually manage to establish myself in Canada.

I have a first cousin in Toronto who has been a great help to me. He has a cottage in Gravenhurst and another in Collingwood. I love Canada. We were fortunate to live in King, really nice with the convienience of Newmarket on our doorstep. We survived our first winter which was magical, to say the least.

Our landlady was second to none, everyone we met were so helpful and nice, there were a few tears upon our departure. Our little girl had so much attention and was loved by everyone. I managed to become an expert at Poker on our Friday night games.

Back in old Blighty now, just isn't the same. Managed to get work with an old friend underpinning, not the greatest but will keep me fit ready for round two.

Thanks for your advice and support and I will keep you guys informed on our progress. All the best for now, cheers Jeff and Michelle and Purdie