Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK police record, what's my chances.....

UK police record, what's my chances.....

Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

RogerRamJet is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation UK police record, what's my chances.....

Hi guys, I'm applying for a work visa for Canada and would like a bit of advice. I have an LMO and a job to go to. I applied for my work visa a couple of weeks and included my acpo certificate. The certificate states 'no live trace' which basically means I have convictions which are now spent. I received an email at the start of the week asking for my version of events and also to include memorandum of conviction. I've acquired this from the courts and now have to send it on.
My main concern is if I'm going to get refused entry. My main conviction is for DUI. This was in 1999. I served a ban and was fined. This is all the courts have on record for me.
After speaking on the phone to acpo however another 2 cautions are still active on my record. The first is 1996, breach of the peace. Basically being too loud and enjoying myself with my friends. But the one I'm really worried about is 1999 caution for possession of class b controlled substance, namely cannabis resin. Not wanting to make excuses, because it was only classed as personal use, it comes under misdemeanour and not a felony. However, drugs are drugs! I've never re-offended on any of these, and being 12 years old will they get in the way?
I have to mention these cautions for the question asks have I EVER....

Last edited by RogerRamJet; Oct 27th 2011 at 11:14 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK police record, what's my chances.....

You do have to mention them but as they were over 10 years ago you do not have anything to worry about, providing that your ban was finished 10 years ago.

You may want to include that, under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, cautions are deemed spent at the time they are given.

They just want to make sure that your cautions/convictions were not recent ones

As to 'possession' I have to say I have met more people here that 'smoke' than I ever met in the UK!

As long as your ban was over you don't have anything to worry about, imho.

Edit: One thing to bear in mind though, they might ask for further information re the possession charge - my son had one and had to see a psychiatrist to ascertain that he was not still imbibing and that it had not affected his mental wellbeing. Sheesh! He is now a PR

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 28th 2011 at 12:07 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:18 am
Just Joined

RogerRamJet is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just worried that if I don't mention it then it might come up when/if I apply for pr. if I don't disclose it now I could be hit with fraud? Also I was thinking of adding at the bottom of the letter that the industry I work in means I could be pulled in for a random drugs test at any time.
Yeah my ban was up 10 years ago....
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

This is a thread you should probably have a read through

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...647159&page=17

I would say the class B caution will not cause any problems. 64 Fluke posted he had a caution for Class A in 1999 and was told it would not be a problem.

Good luck with everything.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 1:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RogerRamJet
I'm just worried that if I don't mention it then it might come up when/if I apply for pr. if I don't disclose it now I could be hit with fraud? Also I was thinking of adding at the bottom of the letter that the industry I work in means I could be pulled in for a random drugs test at any time.
Yeah my ban was up 10 years ago....
You absolutely must disclose everything. It is not worth the risk to not do so, if they suspect or discover you have lied then your TWP could be pulled (or not given at all) and any chance of PR will be zero.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I don't believe you will have any problems.