Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK passport will expire next year but it has my PR visa in it

UK passport will expire next year but it has my PR visa in it

Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough
Default UK passport will expire next year but it has my PR visa in it

Hi to all

My UK passport will expire next year. When you get your new UK passport will they give you back the old passport with the PR visa in it? Where is the nearest place to renew UK passport if you are in Calgary? Is it Ottawa or Washington in the US? Do I still need the old passport if I have my PR card?

All replies will be appreciated.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK passport will expire next year but it has my PR visa in it

You normally get back your old UK passport with the corners cut off. However, given that you've got your PR card you won't need it. The Canadian visa inserted into your old passport is now worthless (it should have a big line through it). All you'll need in future is your new UK passport and your PR card.

Can't answer your other questions. I'd have thought it impossible to get a new UK passport from a non-UK location though, i.e. you'll probably need to apply via the UK. I'd be interested to know what the correct answer to this is myself.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibbye13
When you get your new UK passport will they give you back the old passport with the PR visa in it?
Yes.

Do I still need the old passport if I have my PR card?
No.

You used to be able to get UK passports renewed in Canada, but I believe you now have to send them to Washington. Note that it's vastly more expensive even than getting them renewed in the UK, I believe mine cost about $300 a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:11 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

As above, you can get them renewed but you have to do this via the States, ours took about 3 weeks
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zednought
You normally get back your old UK passport with the corners cut off. However, given that you've got your PR card you won't need it. The Canadian visa inserted into your old passport is now worthless (it should have a big line through it). All you'll need in future is your new UK passport and your PR card.
Keep a copy of everything in case it gets lost or destroyed.

also read: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Passport_In_The_US