UK Passport holder in Canada.

Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:53 am
Just Joined

stucirque1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Passport holder in Canada.

Hi,

Could anybody tell me how long you can stay in Canada just as a visitor under a GB Passport please?

Do I need to book a return flight back to the UK?

Thanks.
Stuart
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport holder in Canada.

As a UK citizen, it's up to six months - note the 'up to', you may not be given the full six months on entry.

A return flight isn't essential from Canadian immigration's point of view, but it often is for the airline - several won't let you board without a visa allowing you to stay in Canada if you've only got a one way flight (Air Canada as an example).

A one way ticket is often more expensive than a return btw.

HTH a bit.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Brilliant.

Thank you very much.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I was wondering if you could assist me again please.

I have been in Montreal since July am leaving Montreal for a week in August and the will come back at the end of August but not sure how long as yet; If I book a return flight could I book it for 6 months time? e.g end of December or January?

Thank you,
Stu
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:04 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stucirque1
Hi,

I have been in Montreal since July am leaving Montreal for a week in August and the will come back at the end of August but not sure how long as yet; If I book a return flight could I book it for 6 months time? e.g end of December or January?

Thank you,
Stu
You can book it for a years time if you like, you can also book an open return, so no return date. However these ticket types cost more, cheaper tickets are usually non changeable and non refundable.

The biggest issue is not a return from Canada and back to Canada. The return portion will terminate the ticket in Canada, where you have no legal status until (if) admitted by immigration. It is on this part of the journey you may (or may not) have a problem boarding the flight.

Once you leave on a visitor visa, I believe that terminates that entry even if you have not stayed to the end of it, you then have to be re admitted on a new visitor entry when you come back.

Whomever you choose to fly with, check first if this will be a problem on your return. It does also rest with the check-in agent at your point of departure back to Canada.

The safest option is a one way to where you are going and buy a return from there to Canada and back to wherever there is.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you,
Stu
CBSA might be questioning you as to why you left and returned within a short period of time and how can you satisfy an officer that you will leave. Why are you not sure how long you will be staying in Canada? Providing you have sufficient funds to cover the length of stay requested and not inadmissible for other reasons the officer will decide how long you get based on information given and reasons.
No definitive answer on how long you will get.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thank you very much.

Yes I have my return back to the UK for a week in August and now looking to buy a whole new return trip from UK to MTL back to the UK probably in December now.
As long as I can stay here for at least 6 months that is fine.

Would you know after 6 months how long I would have to leave the country for?
Thank you.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 11:44 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you very much.

Yes I have my return back to the UK for a week in August and now looking to buy a whole new return trip from UK to MTL back to the UK probably in December now.
As long as I can stay here for at least 6 months that is fine.

Would you know after 6 months how long I would have to leave the country for?
Thank you.
No way to know, it could be as easy as walking across to the US and coming back (or not) depends on the CBSA officer you get.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You indicate you are here as a visitor. More info required as you indicate you want to stay for 6 months then leave then come back again for 6 months why is that?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I have been researching about how long a British citizen can stay in the USA without a visa?
Some are saying 90 days others are saying 6 months? If it is juts 90 days can I leave for a weekend and then return for another 90 days?

I would juts like to know if anyone can clarify the exact time frame so I know when to book flights back?

Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi,

I have been researching about how long a British citizen can stay in the USA without a visa?
Some are saying 90 days others are saying 6 months? If it is juts 90 days can I leave for a weekend and then return for another 90 days?

I would juts like to know if anyone can clarify the exact time frame so I know when to book flights back?

Thanks a lot.
Have you had a look at the USCBP website?
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/