Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK Paramedic moving to Canada visa advice

UK Paramedic moving to Canada visa advice

Old Jan 22nd 2023, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Kwheeler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Paramedic moving to Canada visa advice

Hey all,

I, like many others, am looking to move to Canada and work as a paramedic. I’m a bit confused on visa categories and the internet seems full on conflicting advice!

It seems quite hard to secure a job offer without having a visa, and vice versa. So how would I be best placed to make this dream a reality?

I’ve just turned 30 so I’m aware time is ticking. I’d like to go to Ontario/BC, wherever is going to be most likely I’ll get a job.

I was looking at the FSW visa, under the express entry.

thank you
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 7:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Paramedic moving to Canada visa advice

Hi, welcome to BE.

A job offer isn't required to get PR via EE, but it will depend on your points score. So what are you scoring on the CRS?

Also, if you've just turned 30, have you looked at the IEC visa?
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

A job offer isn't required to get PR via EE, but it will depend on your points score. So what are you scoring on the CRS?

Also, if you've just turned 30, have you looked at the IEC visa?
hey, thank you so much for your reply I am not actually sure what I am scoring, I’ve only done the questionnaire for eligibility but it didn’t give a score. Is there a way of getting a free score?

yes I had seen the IEC, out of interest I if I went that route would I then be able to seek employment whilst out there through an ambulance service and upgrade to PR?

thanks again!
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 8:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kwheeler
hey, thank you so much for your reply I am not actually sure what I am scoring, I’ve only done the questionnaire for eligibility but it didn’t give a score. Is there a way of getting a free score?
Your score is vital, as that will tell you if you'll be scoring enough to get PR without a job offer. Take the official test here (just say yes to English test for now and assume max points as a native speaker, it's only to give you an idea). https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

yes I had seen the IEC, out of interest I if I went that route would I then be able to seek employment whilst out there through an ambulance service and upgrade to PR?
Potentially yes, again depending on your points score/eligibility for PNP etc, so no guarantee, but it's a great way to get you over there and working without needing employer sponsorship. If you're sure you want to move permanently, then check to see if you're eligible for PR first though, as that would be preferable. But the IEC is a great Plan B if not.

Just bear in mind you'll need to jump through hoops to work in Canada as a paramedic. I'm not sure how long it would take or how much it would cost, for some other healthcare professionals (nurses for example) it can take over a year to get licensed, and cost thousands. So that's something to check as well, as you don't want to waste the first year of your IEC not being able to do your job!

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Brill thanks- having just quickly done the score I’m only coming out at 414- by selecting I don’t have a job offer / second language. I’m guessing perhaps this isn’t high enough to apply without having the offer. So perhaps if I’m able to get an offer / learn French it’ll boost my score- but then on the other hand perhaps I’m better off going via the IEC and sorting out the transfer of my qualifications … hmm lots to think about!?
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 9:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Brill thanks- having just quickly done the score I’m only coming out at 414- by selecting I don’t have a job offer / second language. I’m guessing perhaps this isn’t high enough to apply without having the offer. So perhaps if I’m able to get an offer / learn French it’ll boost my score- but then on the other hand perhaps I’m better off going via the IEC and sorting out the transfer of my qualifications … hmm lots to think about!?
Ah, then no that wouldn't be enough unfortunately. About 470 or above would get you invited to apply for PR usually. Learning French wouldn't be worth it, the most you can score for a second language is 24 points so you'd still be a way off, and you'd need to be fluent or close to it for those points.

A job offer would only get you to 464, but then once you've spent a year working in Canada your score would jump up hugely so FSW/EE would then be an option.

If you decide to go for IEC, get an application in asap as there is a limited number of visas each year and the program is already open for 2023. It doesn't cost a huge amount, so may be worth doing anyway as back up, and you'd have a year to enter Canada on it so could get your paramedic assessment underway in the interim.

You could also look at PNP, BC has a specific stream for healthcare occupations, no idea if paramedics qualify but that might be worth looking at?

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

bryndog1950 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since this is a licensed occupation in Canada, the first step would probably be to establish whether you qualify for a license.
The starting point would be the website below. It looks like B.C. might be a good option.
https://copr.ca/regulation-of-paramedics-canada/