UK - Ontario via job transfer

Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

RickelleM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK - Ontario via job transfer

I recently posted in the nursing section about planning ahead for a move...

The company that my husband works for has an office in Ontario so could do a transfer. Would it be easier for us to move via him doing a transfer with his work rather than me going through my job (RGN) and then I can work on doing any bridging courses and the NCLEX once we have moved.

Could anyone advise on what the process is if we were to take the transfer route?

Thank you in advance.

Rickelle
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - Ontario via job transfer

Originally Posted by RickelleM View Post
I recently posted in the nursing section about planning ahead for a move...

The company that my husband works for has an office in Ontario so could do a transfer. Would it be easier for us to move via him doing a transfer with his work rather than me going through my job (RGN) and then I can work on doing any bridging courses and the NCLEX once we have moved.

Could anyone advise on what the process is if we were to take the transfer route?

Thank you in advance.

Rickelle
Hi, welcome to this side of the forum!

An intra-company transfer TWP is one of the quickest and easiest routes to Canada, so if he's eligible that would be a great option. As you say, you can then sort out your courses whilst there, and whilst working part-time if you wanted to, and you could apply for PR alongside it all (if eligible).

Here's the Wiki article about intra-company transfer TWP's, so you can see if he'd come under one of the three categories and qualify for one - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra...ransfer-Canada

HTH.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

We did the transfer. The process was easy. Took about 3 months between our decision to move and landing in Canada. Expenses related to the transfer were covered. Both got work permits for 3 years. That was enough time to get permanent residency while in Canada.

This was over a decade ago, and the specifics will have changed but I am sure its still a good way of moving to Canada if that’s what you want.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Christmasoompa - That's amazing thank you so much for providing the link! Fingers crossed he's eligible.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mordko View Post
We did the transfer. The process was easy. Took about 3 months between our decision to move and landing in Canada. Expenses related to the transfer were covered. Both got work permits for 3 years. That was enough time to get permanent residency while in Canada.

This was over a decade ago, and the specifics will have changed but I am sure its still a good way of moving to Canada if that’s what you want.
Oh wow!! So a very quick process for you! would be amazing if things are still the same!
Old Feb 17th 2021, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow!! So a very quick process for you! would be amazing if things are still the same!
They are. It was actually even quicker pre-Covid, you could just rock up at the airport and get a work permit if you had the required documentation (as per the Wiki link above). Now of course that's not possible, you must have the work permit before being allowed to travel, but it's still a very quick and easy way to get over there if eligible.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the actual bureaucracy of immigration took no time at all. We signed some letters drafted by the lawyers. Then we turned up at the airport in Montreal and had our passports stamped with 3 year work permits.

Preparation took a bit of time though. Within the 3 months period we went on a “familiarization” trip to Canada to check out the place and find somewhere to rent. And got the 3 year work permit on arrival. And then sold our house in England. And rented one on Canada. Then we moved.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

That's incredible! I wasn't expecting it to be such a quick process mainly because doing the move via me being a nurse takes such a long time. Once we have the work permits and have been in Canada for a while how do we go about about applying for PR?

Rickelle
Old Feb 17th 2021, 7:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's incredible! I wasn't expecting it to be such a quick process mainly because doing the move via me being a nurse takes such a long time. Once we have the work permits and have been in Canada for a while how do we go about about applying for PR?

Rickelle
It will depend on which route you’re eligible for (if any). You’ll need to research and see if you’d qualify for any routes - note you don’t need to have been in Canada ‘for a while’, you could apply anytime (from the UK if you prefer and are eligible).

If you think you’d want to stay permanently I’d definitely recommend you research routes to PR sooner rather than later - it would be awful to move and then not be able to stay.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 17th 2021 at 7:19 pm.