uk nurse moving to ontario

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 12:38 am
Just Joined

alimcclure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk nurse moving to ontario

Hi,
my husband, myself and our 2 kids are looking into moving to ontario. I will be the principle applicant and am a staff nurse trained and working for over 5 years in A&E.
Can anyone point us in the direction of where to start? I've looked at the NNAS and am aware of the nursing exam that needs done. Do these need completed before the visa application? and can I apply for jobs after these are complete and before the visa application so I would have a job offer therefore giving us an extra 600 points?
Heading to the Canada live show in October, hoping this may shed some light on where to start the process as well but any help on here from people who have done this would be great!
many thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk nurse moving to ontario

Employers generally say on job adverts provincial license or eligibility to sit exam so really needs completing before applying to them for jobs. Also make sure your nursing transcripts have both clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Hard to make up in the UK and provincially will be $$$ and may involve waiting lists.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 6:47 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alimcclure
Hi,
my husband, myself and our 2 kids are looking into moving to ontario. I will be the principle applicant and am a staff nurse trained and working for over 5 years in A&E.
Can anyone point us in the direction of where to start? I've looked at the NNAS and am aware of the nursing exam that needs done. Do these need completed before the visa application? and can I apply for jobs after these are complete and before the visa application so I would have a job offer therefore giving us an extra 600 points?
Heading to the Canada live show in October, hoping this may shed some light on where to start the process as well but any help on here from people who have done this would be great!
many thanks
What's your orginal training? Diploma or degree?
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 6:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.

and can I apply for jobs after these are complete and before the visa application so I would have a job offer therefore giving us an extra 600 points?
Do note it's a job offer and LMIA needed, not just a job offer - so you'd probably go over on a TWP first and then apply for PR (that's how most do it anyway).

Heading to the Canada live show in October, hoping this may shed some light on where to start the process as well
Highly unlikely! Have a search of the forum but expect a handful of stalls for Canada (most will be for Oz or NZ, for Down Under Live), most of which will be immi consultants. Tbh, it's not well thought of so unless you live locally and can pop in without any cost to get there, I wouldn't bother, as you'll likely spend an hour there max. Free pens though.

The lovely ladies above will help you with the nursing side of things, sounds like you need to get that sorted first, allow a year to 18 months for that as it can take a while, hopefully it will go smoothly for you.

Best of luck with it.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Eggx is an unknown quantity at this point

You may be eligibly for the Ontario PNP - Human Capital Priorities Stream, once it re-opens (expected around November). This nomination, could offer enough points for a PR without a job offer first.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's original training was diploma (Manchester Royal Infirmary). She worked in Ontario for 7 years (1989-96) but has been in the US for the last 18 years and let her Ontario nursing registration lapse. There's a good chance we'll be moving back to Ontario in 2019. Does anyone know if she needs to get her BSN to re-register in Ontario? Or can she re-register without it?
Old Aug 9th 2016, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
My wife's original training was diploma (Manchester Royal Infirmary). She worked in Ontario for 7 years (1989-96) but has been in the US for the last 18 years and let her Ontario nursing registration lapse. There's a good chance we'll be moving back to Ontario in 2019. Does anyone know if she needs to get her BSN to re-register in Ontario? Or can she re-register without it?
You've been around long enough to know that tagging your question on to somebody else's thread isn't ideal! I know that Ontario is normally a province that won't allow diploma trained nurses's to work (they only accept degree trained RGN's), but the fact that she's bene registered in Ontario previously may change that.

But do ask on the main forum in another thread, and the nurses there will no doubt be able to help.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You've been around long enough to know that tagging your question on to somebody else's thread isn't ideal! I know that Ontario is normally a province that won't allow diploma trained nurses's to work (they only accept degree trained RGN's), but the fact that she's bene registered in Ontario previously may change that.

But do ask on the main forum in another thread, and the nurses there will no doubt be able to help.
Well OK but it was related to a question that the OP was asked above about whether the OP's original training was diploma or degree.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 4:23 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think your wife's original training is the problem, it's the time out of practice in Ontario... Has your wife been working in a comparable position elsewhere that the CNO will accept? Really this is nothing to do with being an expat nurse at all- your wife needs to look at the CNO website about what she needs to do for the lapse in registration..
Old Aug 10th 2016, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I don't think your wife's original training is the problem, it's the time out of practice in Ontario... Has your wife been working in a comparable position elsewhere that the CNO will accept? Really this is nothing to do with being an expat nurse at all- your wife needs to look at the CNO website about what she needs to do for the lapse in registration..
Thanks for the response. Yes, she's been constantly working as an RN since leaving Ontario in 1996 (apart from 2 stints of maternity leave). She worked in the UK (London) for 2 years and has been working in Maryland for the past 18 years. We looked at the CNO web site. It looks like there is a path for Ontario registration for her based on her education and work experience so it looks like a degree isn't required. Also the fact that CNO accepted her original UK credentials and registered her in Ontario back in 1989 is encouraging.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:22 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Thanks for the response. Yes, she's been constantly working as an RN since leaving Ontario in 1996 (apart from 2 stints of maternity leave). She worked in the UK (London) for 2 years and has been working in Maryland for the past 18 years. We looked at the CNO web site. It looks like there is a path for Ontario registration for her based on her education and work experience so it looks like a degree isn't required. Also the fact that CNO accepted her original UK credentials and registered her in Ontario back in 1989 is encouraging.
Hopefully they will accept the US work... I have a Canadian friend who's registration lapsed and they did want her to jump through certain hoops to re-register... But that was her taking time out to have children so no keeping skills, education up to date..
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.
Do note it's a job offer and LMIA needed, not just a job offer - so you'd probably go over on a TWP first and then apply for PR (that's how most do it anyway).
Christmas, when you say most do the TWP now, do you know how that works, for instance do these nurses apply for jobs, get a TWP through the employer and then go over? I assume they have to have sorted their registration before they can get a TWP?

Hi, welcome to BE.
Highly unlikely! Have a search of the forum but expect a handful of stalls for Canada (most will be for Oz or NZ, for Down Under Live), most of which will be immi consultants. Tbh, it's not well thought of so unless you live locally and can pop in without any cost to get there, I wouldn't bother, as you'll likely spend an hour there max. Free pens though.
To further what Christmasoompa said; I have been to Canada Live events and other similar events in Manchester and Birmingham a couple of times. I would say don't waste your time, if you want Aus and NZ then it's worth it (although admittedly not as good as it was) but for Canada it is a complete waste of time.

I actually complained the last time and got a full refund on the ticket price because their advertisement for the event is completely false.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Christmas, when you say most do the TWP now, do you know how that works, for instance do these nurses apply for jobs, get a TWP through the employer and then go over? I assume they have to have sorted their registration before they can get a TWP?
I believe they need to be registered first, yes. So normally they'd go over on a TWP then apply for PR as soon as they can, unless of course they score enough to be able to apply for PR without a LMIA/TWP/PNP.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Finding employer willing to go TWP as a nurse is going to be difficult. Despite what nurses feel re shortage of nurses management tends not to agree and as most are unionised preference does go on seniority which means stating as casual and working over time to full time. Also most if not all job adverts I have seen have said current registration with appropriate college of RN's or eligibility to sit RN exam. This means going through the RN process