Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK nurse looking to move with husband and son

UK nurse looking to move with husband and son

Old Jul 22nd 2021, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Pangolin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK nurse looking to move with husband and son

What do I do first?
Start Application process through nursing board?
i realize the process of nursing for me could take 18 months - 2 years
Then sponsor my husband and son ?
I am 48 husband is 60 will our ages go against us?
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse looking to move with husband and son

Originally Posted by Pangolin
What do I do first?
Start Application process through nursing board?
i realize the process of nursing for me could take 18 months - 2 years
Then sponsor my husband and son ?
I am 48 husband is 60 will our ages go against us?
Hi, welcome to BE.

You mention sponsoring your husband and son, so does that mean you're a Canadian citizen? If so, easy enough to sponsor your husband, your son may not need sponsoring if he's already a Canadian citizen too, so worth checking that.

You would be best to get the sponsorship process underway for your husband, it will take around a year anyway, but once he's got PR then he doesn't need to move straight away, so personally I'd start both the nursing process and the visa process at the same time.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse looking to move with husband and son

First you have to get your UK nursing qualifications assessed by the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS). They will tell you if you are able to get a nursing licence in whatever Canadian province you want to work in. My UK degree and 16 years of experience was not enough to get a licence straight away. I had to do the RN Bridging Programme in order to get a licence here. That took 14 months. Then I had to get a job and work permit. This took another 12 months. Don't want to put you off but it is a very lengthy process. Once I had my closed work permit my husband was able to get an open one.