Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK-Nova Scotia dog/landing experience

Wikiposts

UK-Nova Scotia dog/landing experience

Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK-Nova Scotia dog/landing experience

Just thought I'd post our landing experience in case anyone's interested!

We flew Air Transat from Gatwick to Halifax accompanied by one fazed large dog. The Air Transat staff in the UK were really helpful and we didn't have to crate our dog til about 1 hour before take off. We checked him in with our luggage and was told we could just wander around, walk him outside etc til time for him to be wheeled off!

Unfortunately the flight was then delayed for about 2.5 hours (apparently the plane had arrived without food on board and they wouldn't fly til they'd found some). It was a really hot day so I was worried about hte dog stuck on the aircraft waiting but the ground staff said they'd checked him.

The flight itself was quite smooth actually (this coming from someone who prefers not to fly ). Seats a bit narrow on elbow room but food inflight better than Air Canada IMO.

Landed at Halifax..took about 30 mins to go through immigration channel. Principal applicant had already landed so I didn't have to worry about goods forms etc. They just asked how many bags I had and if I had any food etc to declare.

Then, off to baggage collection where dog was waiting very relieved to see us...big scary eyes and very quiet..he was obviously really scared about experience, but as soon as he saw us he was happy again. I then made the mistake of letting him out of his crate (no-one had told me otherwise)..then was promptly told by customs ppl to get him back in (this was a feat as he didn't want to go back in surprise surprise). You have to keep them in crate til you've passed through customs.

There was no vet check, just had to pay customs official $30 import fee. He scrutinised all documents so was glad I went overkill and had DEFRA export health certificate and fit to fly certificate and vaccination details etc on me. Word of warning though, if you're going to take some dog food with you to tide you over for a few days...make sure you label it. I was firmly told by customs that I should have labelled his dry food as they don't want any british beef coming in the country! I said actually it was an American dog food and there was no beef in it anyway .

Was probably out of Halifax airport within an hour of landing..immigration 30 mins...dog paperwork, waiting for bureaucracy 30 mins etc..Once outside the airport our dog was fine and by the evening he was running aorund in our new house and garden as if he was on holiday..tail wagging, no more boggle eyes etc.

Anyway hope this helps someone..
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: UK-Nova Scotia dog/landing experience

Glad it all went well for you and WELCOME TO CANADA!

Regards
Sonia
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Linda will become famous soon enoughSteve and Linda will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK-Nova Scotia dog/landing experience

Hi

Was pleased to hear that your experience withTransat was good as we had thought they were the ones we would use to transport our four labradors. Glad he got their safe and is now enjoying being a "Canadian"