Wikiposts

UK Naturalisation

Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Naturalisation

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Thanks, I'll look into that... I assumed his UK birth certificate was enough, although possibly in conjuction with mine/his father's to prove that we were citizens at the time of his birth.
That's what would have to be done - the point is that a UK birth certificate in itself is not enough. Additional proof that one parent is a British citizen or permanent resident at the time of birth is required.

When I was sorting out my own Canadian citizenship with London, they asked for proof of my father's citizenship - I offered his Canadian passport and they said this was not conclusive proof of citizenship as so many people have these who are not actually entitled to them!
Passports are not conclusive evidence of citizenship, but they're as good as any other document.

So for a UK-born child post 1982, a passport's the only proof? I had no idea!
In most cases - yes. As far as I know, UK birth certificates from 1983 do not specifically confirm if the child is a British citizen.

The exceptions are the cases where the child is registered as a British citizen subsequent to birth (eg if a parent gets permanent residence later, or the child lives in the UK until age 10).

Same goes for most non-UK born (British) children, except that where the child is British at the time of birth a consular birth certificate does prove British citizenship, as it's not issued otherwise. Consular birth certificates are issued by British missions in most countries in the world, Canada is one of the few exceptions because local birth registration standards are similar to the UK.

Jeremy