UK ICU Nurse Ontario Immigration

Old Apr 27th 2016, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

hollythrelfall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK ICU Nurse Ontario Immigration

Hi guys,
Over the past 2 years I have been trying to get my nursing license in Ontario. I initially applied to the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) in 2013. Once CNO assessed my education and qualifications they decided that I should sit The Internationally Educated Nurses Competency Assessment Program (IENCAP) exam in Toronto. My partner and I went out to Toronto in November 2014 so that I could sit this exam, which I thankfully passed. I then completed my NCLEX RN exam in London in May 2015. The CNO informed me that I had successfully completed all the necessary exams to get my nursing license, and I would lastly need a job offer in order to get my license. I have been applying for nursing jobs in Ontario for the past 6 months and have received zero interest. I am now in the process of applying for the Canadian Express Entry Program. I received an overall 8 in my ILETS exam and I am just waiting for my ICAS assessment report to come through before I can send my Express Entry application off. I'm hoping that if I get accepted into the Express Entry program for permanent residency that employers might be more interested in me.

I guess I'm just losing hope, and just wanted to know if there are any UK nurses out there who have been successful in immigrating to Ontario and finding employment opportunities.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.

Holly
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK ICU Nurse Ontario Immigration

Originally Posted by hollythrelfall
Hi guys,
Over the past 2 years I have been trying to get my nursing license in Ontario. I initially applied to the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) in 2013. Once CNO assessed my education and qualifications they decided that I should sit The Internationally Educated Nurses Competency Assessment Program (IENCAP) exam in Toronto. My partner and I went out to Toronto in November 2014 so that I could sit this exam, which I thankfully passed. I then completed my NCLEX RN exam in London in May 2015. The CNO informed me that I had successfully completed all the necessary exams to get my nursing license, and I would lastly need a job offer in order to get my license. I have been applying for nursing jobs in Ontario for the past 6 months and have received zero interest. I am now in the process of applying for the Canadian Express Entry Program. I received an overall 8 in my ILETS exam and I am just waiting for my ICAS assessment report to come through before I can send my Express Entry application off. I'm hoping that if I get accepted into the Express Entry program for permanent residency that employers might be more interested in me.

I guess I'm just losing hope, and just wanted to know if there are any UK nurses out there who have been successful in immigrating to Ontario and finding employment opportunities.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.

Holly
Your biggest problem is that you are applying from outside Canada, and, according to many reports on here an application form another country is usually filed in the round filing cabinet next to the desk without being read. I would suspect that if you can get to Canada then you would have better results.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 5:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as above you'll likely have no problem finding work if you're in Canada and work authorised. So of you can get PR without a job offer, that should do it, but what are you scoring on the CRS? Is it enough?

There is a great job hunting section in the Wiki too, well worth a read. Have you been out to job hunt in person or just been phoning?
Old Aug 17th 2016, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Jordanelaurel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I'm Jordan.

I'm a UK registered ICU nurse from London. I've got 5 years post grad experience and I stated my NNAS application in Feb 2016 this year. I'm still waiting for my evaluation report.

Sorry I can't help and make you feel better about your situation but I'd love to know how you get on. My boyfriend lives in Ottawa and I stay with him there 6 months out of the year then have to return to London to nurse the other half of the year to keep my registration while attempting to move to Canada. I applied for express entry with 440 points, the score is good enough for Ontario PNP but they've decided to close for this year and you need 480 or more to get an invitation from CIC alone.

Anyways I really wanted to say you've given me hope because you're the ONE person I've read about who is attempting CNO registration (everyone else seems to be BC/AB. I'm so happy to hear you made it and didn't have to go to college etc. I'd love to ask you some questions.

Again, sorry I can't help with your situation. I think if by the time I get registration my boyfriend and I will get married so it might be easier for PR. It's all so stressful isn't it.
Good luck! Stay strong.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:10 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem in Ontario is that it's a work your way up situation, so you get a foot in the door as part time temporary/casual, then full time temporary then wait for your turn to take up a permanent position as and when it becomes available. Seniority rules here, and it really is a no what you know but who you know sort of place.

How long do you have from passing your exam to meet all requirements of registration? Congrats on getting through to this point with the CNO! Did you have a degree to start?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I think the problem in Ontario is that it's a work your way up situation, so you get a foot in the door as part time temporary/casual, then full time temporary then wait for your turn to take up a permanent position as and when it becomes available. Seniority rules here, and it really is a no what you know but who you know sort of place.

How long do you have from passing your exam to meet all requirements of registration? Congrats on getting through to this point with the CNO! Did you have a degree to start?
Sorry I'm new to this and couldn't work out how to reply.

Yes I had my degree to start. In Adult nursing. I then did a diploma in neonatal nursing in London and worked in a NICU for 4 years.
I think once you pass the NCLEX it's just a case of finding a job which in London is extremely easy but is proving very difficult for some here in Ontario. I live in Ottawa and the NICU jobs are non existent. There are a few in Toronto but my boyfriend is from Ottawa and I'm not sure I'd want to have to move to Toronto so most likely I won't even be able to get a job in the NICU field for a long time if ever. It's all so depressing.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 10:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jordanelaurel
Sorry I'm new to this and couldn't work out how to reply.

Yes I had my degree to start. In Adult nursing. I then did a diploma in neonatal nursing in London and worked in a NICU for 4 years.
I think once you pass the NCLEX it's just a case of finding a job which in London is extremely easy but is proving very difficult for some here in Ontario. I live in Ottawa and the NICU jobs are non existent. There are a few in Toronto but my boyfriend is from Ottawa and I'm not sure I'd want to have to move to Toronto so most likely I won't even be able to get a job in the NICU field for a long time if ever. It's all so depressing.
I was kind of replying to the original poster

I'm now an RPN here (was an RN in the UK). I think you will be able to get one but it's definitely start at the bottom. Not like in the UK where a job offer really was based on the right person...
Old Sep 11th 2016, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

I was kind of replying to the original poster

I'm now an RPN here (was an RN in the UK). I think you will be able to get one but it's definitely start at the bottom. Not like in the UK where a job offer really was based on the right person...
Oops lol sorry about that. That's amazing that you're an RPN here now. Well done/congratulations! Is it very different from the RN role and do you think you will progress to RN eventually? I'm a NICU nurse in London and I may be wrong but I think if I want to continue in NICU I need to be RN. I'd love to be wrong because it's much easier to convert to RPN. Hope you love it and hope you don't mind me asking questions.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 10:51 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Jordanelaurel
Oops lol sorry about that. That's amazing that you're an RPN here now. Well done/congratulations! Is it very different from the RN role and do you think you will progress to RN eventually? I'm a NICU nurse in London and I may be wrong but I think if I want to continue in NICU I need to be RN. I'd love to be wrong because it's much easier to convert to RPN. Hope you love it and hope you don't mind me asking questions.
I don't mind

So I was disheartened by what I'd read when initially applying and with a Diploma based education didn't think I stood a chance at getting through the assessment to an exam for an RN so I went for RPN as the easier option. I should have pushed for it though because I really want to be in Endoscopy/OR and that's specialized so more difficult to get into. Plus they allow RN's to be casual in my small town hospital whereas minimum for RPN is 2 x 12 hr shifts a week at their discretion and with the kids (3 - youngest 18 months) and my husband's job it's too hard to manage so I'm stuck not working at the moment. I'm going to do some clinic work to keep my registration up until it becomes easier
Old Sep 11th 2016, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

I don't mind

So I was disheartened by what I'd read when initially applying and with a Diploma based education didn't think I stood a chance at getting through the assessment to an exam for an RN so I went for RPN as the easier option. I should have pushed for it though because I really want to be in Endoscopy/OR and that's specialized so more difficult to get into. Plus they allow RN's to be casual in my small town hospital whereas minimum for RPN is 2 x 12 hr shifts a week at their discretion and with the kids (3 - youngest 18 months) and my husband's job it's too hard to manage so I'm stuck not working at the moment. I'm going to do some clinic work to keep my registration up until it becomes easier
Well I think you should be proud that you made it! Stay positive and your luck will turn around. It's so much different to home but if it's a life you wish to lead then some sacrifices have to be made. I much prefer Canada to London. London seems so much more cramped when I go home to visit.

Keep up the good work putting us UK nurse
Old Sep 11th 2016, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Jordanelaurel;12049645]Well I think you should be proud that you made it! Stay positive and your luck will turn around. It's so much different to home but if it's a life you wish to lead then some sacrifices have to be made. I much prefer Canada to London. London seems so much more cramped when I go home to visit.

Keep up the good work putting us UK nurses to a good name.