Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK husband, Canadian wife, both dual citizenship?

UK husband, Canadian wife, both dual citizenship?

Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough
Default UK husband, Canadian wife, both dual citizenship?

Hi, I am UK citizen, my wife is Canadian and moved to UK where we got married and she is due to get ILR next year. My understanding is that this will give her dual citizenship and pretty much free movement between UK and Canada. At some point in the future we are likely to return to Canada to live, perhaps spending some time in UK, sometime in Canada for reasons of family spread between the two. So, I am keen to get dual citizenship too. Am I right in thinking that I would have to go through the application process, get enough points etc and then live in Canada for some time - similar to what my wife has done but in reverse?

Has anyone done this and can help explain the process?

Thanks!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK husband, Canadian wife, both dual citizenship?

Originally Posted by seascape
Hi, I am UK citizen, my wife is Canadian and moved to UK where we got married and she is due to get ILR next year. My understanding is that this will give her dual citizenship and pretty much free movement between UK and Canada.

ILR isn't dual citizenship but she may then become eligible to apply for British citizenship.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
ILR isn't dual citizenship but she may then become eligible to apply for British citizenship.
Thanks, yes I understand that she could get citizenship 3 years after getting ILR.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seascape
Thanks, yes I understand that she could get citizenship 3 years after getting ILR.
It's 3 years legal residence - usually sooner than 3 years after ILR.

ILR can be lost if she moves outside the UK. Citizenship is the only safe way to secure status.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

smiles_g is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same situation...Uk husband, Canadian wife with ILR since 2006 and want to also get a UK passport for the same reasons. The websites and phone numbers have given me the run around so I don't know if I am eligible for a British passport or not and how to go about getting UK citizenship etc. If anyone has any further details it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, G
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think anyone answered the original question, but to become a Canadian citizen it would be necessary to live in Canada and meet the 3 year out of 4 requirement to apply for it. Then it takes about a year or 18 months to have the application processed, attend the test and ceremony etc.

Living with a Canadian outside Canada is not sufficient, although that will count towards maintaining Permanent Resident status. Only time in Canada is however good for becoming a Citizen.

There are many posts and a wiki article on the practicalities of spousal sponsorship to become a permanent resident in Canada, so I wont rehash that here.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is Canadian and recently got her British citienship, and we're going to move to Canada next year.

If your married and your partner has ILR they can apply for citizenship straight away, no need to wait a year.

For me to get Canadian citizenship I'm applying for Permanent residence first, then we move there and 3 years later I can apply for citizenship.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:22 am
Just Joined

smiles_g is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great, congrats!
And thanks everyone for the help too.
G
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by smiles_g
I'm in the same situation...Uk husband, Canadian wife with ILR since 2006 and want to also get a UK passport for the same reasons. The websites and phone numbers have given me the run around so I don't know if I am eligible for a British passport or not and how to go about getting UK citizenship etc. If anyone has any further details it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, G
Start here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...aturalisation/