Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK Electrician needing help for Canada Immi

UK Electrician needing help for Canada Immi

Old May 21st 2018, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Geobots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Electrician needing help for Canada Immi

Hi
I am an electrician from Scotland looking at moving to Canada and was wondering if there is anyone out there who can help me figure out the application process. I have just started looking at the Canada government website and cant quite figure out the route best suited for me.
I have a lot of questions but if there is anyone who has been through the process recently it would be great to hear from you and get some advice.

My main questions at this time are-

Do I need to do a language test?
Do I need to do the Red Seal exams prior to applying?
Do I need a job offer and if I do at which stage?

Hopefully someone out there can help. Thanks.
Old May 21st 2018, 8:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Electrician needing help for Canada Immi

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Unfortunately, we can't answer any of your questions until you know which visa route you are going down, as the answers will be different depending on that. I would assume that as an electrician you'll qualify for and apply under the Federal Skilled Trades program (if so, the answers to your questions are yes to the language test, and yes to either provincial certification OR a job offer - not both). But without knowing more details about you and your CRS score, it's hard to say.

Have you taken the eligibility test on the CIC website and if so, what did it say? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:52 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geobots
Hi
I am an electrician from Scotland looking at moving to Canada and was wondering if there is anyone out there who can help me figure out the application process. I have just started looking at the Canada government website and cant quite figure out the route best suited for me.
I have a lot of questions but if there is anyone who has been through the process recently it would be great to hear from you and get some advice.

There are no Red Seal exams. There are provincial exams and the inter-provincial qualification is endorsed by the Red Seal organisation. To work as an electrician (unsupervised) you would need to pass the inter-provincial exam. To challenge this as a foreign qualified trade, you would need to prove 9000 hours of working experience.
Challenging Exams | ITA BC
Old May 22nd 2018, 4:07 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario: Ontario College of Trades ยป Trade Equivalency Assessment
Alberta: https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/expe...n-certificate/
Manitoba: https://www.gov.mb.ca/wd/apprentices...ngingexam.html
Saskatchewan: http://saskapprenticeship.ca/trade-q...ation-process/
Red Seal Endorsement: Information for Trade Qualifiers / Red Seal

Other links to Provincial Certification Official Sites - http://www.red-seal.ca/contact/c.4nt.1ct-eng.html

Old May 24th 2018, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Geobots is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for taking time to get back to me. I think I am on the way to understanding the re-certification and process for working now.

I completed the CIC and it showed I am eligible for the express entry visa. Once I have completed this part what is the next stage?

Does anyone know of a overseas qualified electrician or skilled worker who has been approved a immigration visa without having a job offer or red seal approval?

Obviously this would make the process easier for me as finding a job and sitting the exams would be easier once in Canada.
Old May 25th 2018, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for taking time to get back to me. I think I am on the way to understanding the re-certification and process for working now.

I completed the CIC and it showed I am eligible for the express entry visa. Once I have completed this part what is the next stage?

Does anyone know of a overseas qualified electrician or skilled worker who has been approved a immigration visa without having a job offer or red seal approval?

Obviously this would make the process easier for me as finding a job and sitting the exams would be easier once in Canada.
This means you are eligible to enter the pool of candidates. Whether you are selected will depend on your point score and the scheme under which you are eligible (presumably FSW based on the fact that you do not have a job offer or provincial certificate).

The next step is to check what you score on CRS (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp). 450 is a rough minimum to be invited under FSW but it does vary.
Old May 25th 2018, 4:10 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
This means you are eligible to enter the pool of candidates. Whether you are selected will depend on your point score and the scheme under which you are eligible (presumably FSW based on the fact that you do not have a job offer or provincial certificate).

The next step is to check what you score on CRS (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp). 450 is a rough minimum to be invited under FSW but it does vary.
He would be better to get a job offer and go under FST, lower qualifying score in the pool. Best bet would be to come to Canada on a job hunting trip, meet employers and try to secure an offer.
Old May 25th 2018, 4:16 am

There is no such thing as 'Red Seal Approval' or 'Red Seal Qualified', nor does any individual get 'Red Seal Approved'. You challenge the Inter-Provincial exam in any province. If you pass you get a provincial qualification. It is a provincial qualification, which for some trades is Red Seal endorsed, which makes the provincial qualification an inter-provincial one and the tradesman can work in any province that participates in Red Seal.

Many will get a job offer, with a proviso they pass the exam in a specified time frame.

Much easier if you get a job offer. Come to Canada for a while and job hunt.
Old May 25th 2018, 4:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

First question is which route are you hoping to come under. Do you have enough points (CRS - see link in Engineer's post) to qualify under Federal Skilled Worker - or are you going to need to apply under Federal Skilled TRADES ? (Assume you will have top marks in English for language)

If you need to apply under FST (i.e. you have less than 430+ points) then you will need to apply for equivalency in which ever Province you favour - or which ever one has the least onerous requirements to become Certified - see the links in my post upthread - OR a qualifying job offer.

Before you can apply for EE FST you must: Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 yearFootnote ** or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.

You will need to have your language abilities tested, which ever of the two routes you take (FSW/FST)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

These threads may be of help to you
Help with immigration
Help with Electrical Qualifications and Immigration
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/20678/ca

Last edited by Siouxie; May 25th 2018 at 2:50 pm.