Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK Dual Citizens with no plastic ID card resident over 40yrs

UK Dual Citizens with no plastic ID card resident over 40yrs

Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Dual Citizens with no plastic ID card resident over 40yrs

I think the moral of this thread is ....................

DO NOT LET YOUR CANADIAN PASSPORT EXPIRE, OR LEAVE IT LONGER THAN 6 MONTHS BEFORE RENEWING IT

Just to add my perspective .........

We became citizens in early 1974, so 44 years ago. We received the large certificate and could also apply for (and pay extra to get) a wallet-sized ID card with photograph on the front, and some detail on the back.

I can't tell you exactly what else was on the ID card because mine was in a wallet that was stolen some years ago, even though it was no use as ID for me. I looked even then rather different after all those years

I had to physically go into a police station to report the loss as it counted as theft. Otherwise, wallet stolen is a report over the phone deal as it is so common.

I could incidentally have obtained a new ID card, at a cost.

We have never had to produce proof of citizenship since we got our first passports in 1974 ........... mine was renewed last year at approx. 4 months out of date.

We just fill in the appropriate forms, OH takes forms and new photos down to the nearest Office, hands them over, and pays whatever the clerk requests after checking that all is correct.

DON'T LET YOUR PASSPORT GET MORE THAN 6 MONTHS OUT OF DATE!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beehappy
Now one is obliged to have both passports otherwise no re -entry into Canada despite the constitution guaranteeing free leave and entry. Good Luck with your re entry into Canada!! Here's the link to govt rules on boarding your flight.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html

One does NOT need two passports ............. one only needs a Canadian passport to leave or enter Canada.

That is, unless you are so determined not to let go of your British passport.

I'm afraid that I believe that carrying two passports is an indication that you are not really either a Canadian or a Brit. You have not committed to either country.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
One does NOT need two passports ............. one only needs a Canadian passport to leave or enter Canada.

That is, unless you are so determined not to let go of your British passport.

I'm afraid that I believe that carrying two passports is an indication that you are not really either a Canadian or a Brit. You have not committed to either country.
Not true.....

Jason Bourne has loads of different passports....

OK, OK - I'm going!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
https://www.mobilesringtones.com/rin...-2016-ringtone
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

And is that a bad thing?
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gozit
And is that a bad thing?
Maybe, or maybe not ..... depending on your perspective.

I consider myself Canadian, not a Brit living in Canada and having 2 citizenships.

I think it is important to point out that a number of countries do not allow dual citizenship.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Not true.....

OK, OK - I'm going!
I think James Bond also had lots of passports

not to mention Nicholas Drummond
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

not to mention Nicholas Drummond
Huh??
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

aha!!

He's the latest "expert" in all things ........ but only in books ATM, so far as I know
Old Mar 27th 2018, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

beehappy has a spectacular aura aboutbeehappy has a spectacular aura aboutbeehappy has a spectacular aura about

So you finally got the plot!!!!!!!

So as per the original post....Anyone needing help to negotiate the forms and obstacles if they don't have the documents then i am offering to help them.

Wherever we live in the Commonwealth our allegiance is still to HM The Queen whatever her countries...its not about 'picking' a country. This is the oath to which you swore at the time of your of citizenship....unless you don't give a hoot
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beehappy
So you finally got the plot!!!!!!!

So as per the original post....Anyone needing help to negotiate the forms and obstacles if they don't have the documents then i am offering to help them.

Wherever we live in the Commonwealth our allegiance is still to HM The Queen whatever her countries...its not about 'picking' a country. This is the oath to which you swore at the time of your of citizenship....unless you don't give a hoot
Right but you didn't answer the question - what exactly did you have to go through to get the updated certificate? Just for curiosity's sake.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

from the opening post ..... it sounds like 16 months!

Though I'm not sure why it took that long!!!!
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe, or maybe not ..... depending on your perspective.

I consider myself Canadian, not a Brit living in Canada and having 2 citizenships.

I think it is important to point out that a number of countries do not allow dual citizenship.
Fair enough, anyone can consider themselves what they wish and you should of course be allowed to consider yourself Canadian after been here so long. But I don't think its wrong for someone still with family in the old country and ties and whatnot to say "I was born in Britain and i'm a Brit and I live in Canada and i'm Canadian too." I don't think one dilutes the other or it makes you any less "loyal." In today's day and age, we are loyal to ourselves and our families and there is less patriotism and being loyal to "the country" - at least in my generation.

I think its sad that there are countries that do not allow dual citizenship - it puts expats in a rock and a hard place. It really doesn't affect the business of Canada that I also have Maltese citizenship and vice versa so why should it matter?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Fair enough, anyone can consider themselves what they wish and you should of course be allowed to consider yourself Canadian after been here so long. But I don't think its wrong for someone still with family in the old country and ties and whatnot to say "I was born in Britain and i'm a Brit and I live in Canada and i'm Canadian too." I don't think one dilutes the other or it makes you any less "loyal." In today's day and age, we are loyal to ourselves and our families and there is less patriotism and being loyal to "the country" - at least in my generation.

I think its sad that there are countries that do not allow dual citizenship - it puts expats in a rock and a hard place. It really doesn't affect the business of Canada that I also have Maltese citizenship and vice versa so why should it matter?
Totally agree with the above.
My wife was Indonesian and, in 1990, we both immigrated to Canada and became Canadian citizens in 1995.
I was from UK and maintained my UK citizenship although I haven't even visited there since 1991.
My wife lost her Indonesian citizenship as they do not accept dual-citizenship.
Now we both live in Bali, Indonesia.
We are both seen as foreigners using a retirement visa to stay in Bali and she cannot enjoy any of the benefits that her heritage should permit.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

A gentle reminder that we try to keep threads in the immi forum on topic........I love James Bond & Jason Bourne but they have no place here.

Thanks all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.