UK (Couple) to Canada

Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Smoee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK (Couple) to Canada

I've previously made a thread in the USA forum about this but this has been adjusted accordingly.

Hi all,

I'm currently 29 and my partner is 27. We are looking to move to North America for job opportunities as we both love Canada and the US. We have considered this for a long time and have decided to look more into this now.

We are both educated to MSc level and would like to know how realistic from the information below our chances of immigrating to Canada would be. We're analyzing our chances for each country respectively. I have family in Canada but I believe they would not be considered on our application due to not being 'first-relatives' and I believe the Canadian life style slightly appeals to us more (as we prefer the cold too!). I'm more keen on Canada and she is more keen on the US.

Education:
We both hold a Masters Degree in Computer Science (Grade: Distinction)

Experience:
7+ years experience in our fields and are both senior level.

Family:
I have Canadian family (Nans Brother is a Canadian Citizen, Nan is not).

Work fields:
Software Automation Engineer (Software Developer),
CRM Developer and consultant (Software Developer)

Nationality:
Both British citizens

Medical:
One is Diabetic Type 1 (Through birth not weight)

Crime:
No criminal records

Employers:
No Canadian aspect of the company to transfer to

Children:
None

Marriage:
Soon to be

Languages:
I speak English and minor German.
Partner speaks English and minor French.

Locations being considered:
Toronto
Vancouver

If anyone has information about costs/insurances regarding Diabetes type one that would also be very helpful.

We're also attending a conference soon regarding moving to Canada with job opportunities there but I'd like to have an overview of my chances before I get too excited.

I'm also travelling to both NYC, Toronto and Niagara Falls for our holidays this year and can't wait!

Thanks!

Last edited by Smoee; Jan 10th 2017 at 2:35 am.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK (Couple) to Canada

Why don't you make a profile each to see if you both get selected to apply for a 2 year IEC Work Permit? The time to make the profile is now (today). See the IEC thread.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

As you are both under 30 your easiest method would be to look at IEC.
International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada

This would give you a 2 year open work permit. If you enjoyed it you could then transition into permanent residents in that time using either FSW or CEC.

If you want to look at PR from the start you will need to check out the two links below.
Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool - Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

The express entry system is point based with selection made based on the number invited and therefore a points cut off at the time of each invite. The points score changes with each draw.

For now assume English and possibly French scores. Once you know that you are eligible and what your CRS score is that will help people determine your likelihood (you will need upwards of 450 ish to stand a chance). You will also want to experiment with which of you has the most points and should be the principal applicant.

As an FYI engineering is a licensed profession here in Canada with rights to title and practice. You will need to register with an be approved for membership with the provincial licensing authority where you live/work (PEO for Ontario and APEGBC for BC).
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smoee
I've previously made a thread in the USA forum about this but this has been adjusted accordingly.
I just wanted to say your post is really well laid out. It is the closest to a perfect template for a question regarding immigration I've seen.

I'd apply for an IEC or if you're absolutely sure, apply for IEC and start the EE route.
You will laugh at how quick it is to create an IEC application.
You will cry at how long it is to create an EE application.

Other than that I have nothing to offer, good luck!