Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK citizen wants to immigrate to Canada

UK citizen wants to immigrate to Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Shazo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK citizen wants to immigrate to Canada

Hi,
I'm a british national(born/raised in England). I'm now married to a U.S. Citizen and live in the States (6 years now). I also have a US green card (permanent residence). My husband & I would be very interested in moving to Canada permanently as it seems to us to be the best spot on earth to live for our tastes.
I'm in the nursing field and he is an artist. We have funds to buy land/house and support ourselves.
My question is this (as immigration sites are so bloody hard to understand )..... Would we get special or easier treatment in immigrating to Canada since I am an English citizen? Is Canada still a member of the commonwealth? And......... ........is it possible that a british citizen would already have certain rights on obtaining canadian permanent residence?
Sorry I'm divy on this.....But I got to start some place.
Cheers :P
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen wants to immigrate to Canada

Still a member of the common wealth, but doesn't get you anywhere.

Can't really help, but, not considered getting US citizenship in case you ever want to come back tot he states? As you can lose the greencard pretty easily, and then it'll be a hassle getting back later on.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:59 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Hi,

I am a UK Citizen borna and raised as are both my parents, my brothers and the rest of the family.

Unfortunatly no easier for us than anyone else. My brother is currently working over there on a work permit and has married a canadian. When his last contract expired they had to come back over here and live as he had no rights to work in the country despite being English married to a canadian with a canadian child. Eventually he managed to get another job with valid work permit and has moved back over there.

My application was put in back in Sept 2003 and still waiting.

Originally Posted by Shazo
Hi,
I'm a british national(born/raised in England). I'm now married to a U.S. Citizen and live in the States (6 years now). I also have a US green card (permanent residence). My husband & I would be very interested in moving to Canada permanently as it seems to us to be the best spot on earth to live for our tastes.
I'm in the nursing field and he is an artist. We have funds to buy land/house and support ourselves.
My question is this (as immigration sites are so bloody hard to understand )..... Would we get special or easier treatment in immigrating to Canada since I am an English citizen? Is Canada still a member of the commonwealth? And......... ........is it possible that a british citizen would already have certain rights on obtaining canadian permanent residence?
Sorry I'm divy on this.....But I got to start some place.
Cheers :P
Old Nov 5th 2004, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Airseir
Hi,

I am a UK Citizen borna and raised as are both my parents, my brothers and the rest of the family.

Unfortunatly no easier for us than anyone else. My brother is currently working over there on a work permit and has married a canadian. When his last contract expired they had to come back over here and live as he had no rights to work in the country despite being English married to a canadian with a canadian child. Eventually he managed to get another job with valid work permit and has moved back over there.

My application was put in back in Sept 2003 and still waiting.
I am Canadian and have sponsored by British husband to become a permanent resident in Canada (through family class category). The process is a lot quicker for spouses than for skilled workers, so at least that's a plus for us. We applied in May 2004 and are still waiting (although we are moving to Canada to finish off the wait there)