Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK citizen with pregnant Canadian girlfriend. Need advice on Canadian residency.

UK citizen with pregnant Canadian girlfriend. Need advice on Canadian residency.

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:43 am
Just Joined

krispal2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen with pregnant Canadian girlfriend. Need advice on Canadian residency.

Hi,

I'll explain my situation in full, any advice anybody can give will be greatly appreciated.

I have been living and working in Montreal for the past year on a BUNAC Non-Student Working Holiday Visa. About a month into my time in Montreal I met my girlfriend, we fell in love with each other almost instantly and began living together in September. I'm 28 and she is 26 so this isn't some teen romance or anything we've both lived and know that we are right for each other. Knowing that my visa would expire in April 2010 and wanting to stay together I re-applied to BUNAC through the student version of the Working Holiday Visa Program and was succesful. In January 2010 we discovered that my girlfriend was pregnant. Obviously this was not ideal timing but we decided that we want to be together and that we'd like a family together. Ideally we would like to make our life together in Montreal at least initially. So now I have several questions but before I begin to ask them I'd just like to point out that I am aware that I need to talk to Quebec and Canadian immigration this is simply just to find out any additional information anybody might have or if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what there experience was.

I guess my first question is about residency. First of all where should I apply for residency from? The UK or Canada? I'm back in the UK until the end of June so I could apply from here if it will be quicker. I spoke to a few friends whilst still in Canada and I understand that the waiting times in Canada are around 18 months and that you need to remain in Canada during this process. I also need to know how I would be able to work during this time as obviously I need to be able to provide for my family.

If I was to apply for residency would I still be able to use the BUNAC Working Holiday Visa I have? Or would applying for residency make this invalid? Also can I actually still use this visa with a child on the way?

Which class should I apply under? My girlfriend and I intend to marry so she would be able to sponsor me but she has just returned to university to study. Could she sponsor me as I understand one of the requirments is to be able to financially support the person you have sponsored, as a student she isn't really able to do this. Alternatively I am pretty sure I qualify under the skilled worker program for both Quebec and Canada, I've done the online assessments several times and always qualify, would this be a better route?

Are there any exceptions as we have a child on the way? Will they speed up my application or can I get some kind of temporary permit to allow me to work and support my family whilst awaiting my residency? This makes sense to me, surely it is in the interests of the Canadian and Quebec governments to allow me the opportunity to provide for my family rather than them having to do it.

That's all the questions I can think to ask just now. Any advice, comments and help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen with pregnant Canadian girlfriend. Need advice on Canadian residency.

Originally Posted by krispal2000
Hi,

I'll explain my situation in full, any advice anybody can give will be greatly appreciated.

I have been living and working in Montreal for the past year on a BUNAC Non-Student Working Holiday Visa. About a month into my time in Montreal I met my girlfriend, we fell in love with each other almost instantly and began living together in September. I'm 28 and she is 26 so this isn't some teen romance or anything we've both lived and know that we are right for each other. Knowing that my visa would expire in April 2010 and wanting to stay together I re-applied to BUNAC through the student version of the Working Holiday Visa Program and was succesful. In January 2010 we discovered that my girlfriend was pregnant. Obviously this was not ideal timing but we decided that we want to be together and that we'd like a family together. Ideally we would like to make our life together in Montreal at least initially. So now I have several questions but before I begin to ask them I'd just like to point out that I am aware that I need to talk to Quebec and Canadian immigration this is simply just to find out any additional information anybody might have or if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what there experience was.

I guess my first question is about residency. First of all where should I apply for residency from? The UK or Canada? I'm back in the UK until the end of June so I could apply from here if it will be quicker. I spoke to a few friends whilst still in Canada and I understand that the waiting times in Canada are around 18 months and that you need to remain in Canada during this process. I also need to know how I would be able to work during this time as obviously I need to be able to provide for my family.

If I was to apply for residency would I still be able to use the BUNAC Working Holiday Visa I have? Or would applying for residency make this invalid? Also can I actually still use this visa with a child on the way?

Which class should I apply under? My girlfriend and I intend to marry so she would be able to sponsor me but she has just returned to university to study. Could she sponsor me as I understand one of the requirments is to be able to financially support the person you have sponsored, as a student she isn't really able to do this. Alternatively I am pretty sure I qualify under the skilled worker program for both Quebec and Canada, I've done the online assessments several times and always qualify, would this be a better route?

Are there any exceptions as we have a child on the way? Will they speed up my application or can I get some kind of temporary permit to allow me to work and support my family whilst awaiting my residency? This makes sense to me, surely it is in the interests of the Canadian and Quebec governments to allow me the opportunity to provide for my family rather than them having to do it.

That's all the questions I can think to ask just now. Any advice, comments and help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Get married on the cheap and have her sponsor you. By all accounts the outland process if quicker (3 months for me) and you're able to remain in Canada but not able to work.

Although as you've been living together (as long as you can prove it) for more than 12 months you can apply for the common law visa.

Since she's now a student, assuming she's not claiming benefits, this shouldn't impact the spousal route. I'm not sure about common law.

Hopefully somebody else will be along to give more (correct) details.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: UK citizen with pregnant Canadian girlfriend. Need advice on Canadian residency.

El Richo, thank you for your reply. It's made me think of a couple of questions though.

Could I feasibly apply for Outland but be in Canada when I did so? What I mean is could I physically be in Canada and use a UK address during the application or does it require me to physically be in the UK at some point?

I'm back in the UK at the moment whilst my girlfriend is still in Canada so it isn't possible for us to get married and for me to start the Spousal Sponsorship from the UK. Also, as much as possible we would still like our wedding to be something special. Does applying for the Skilled Worker Visa take a similar length of time as I could potentially do that now from the UK?

Also could I not still use my BUNAC Student Working Holiday Visa so I could work whilst my application is being processed? Or does the process and/or my situation not make this possible?

Again, thank you for your reply and sorry to inundate you with more questions.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Could I feasibly apply for Outland but be in Canada when I did so? What I mean is could I physically be in Canada and use a UK address during the application or does it require me to physically be in the UK at some point?
Yes, that's fine, you can apply outland. The Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) is full of useful info including this page..............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Does applying for the Skilled Worker Visa take a similar length of time as I could potentially do that now from the UK?
SW visas take 6-12 months so much longer than outland spousal sponsorship. If your gf can sponsor you for common-law spousal sponsorship (no need to get married then), that's going to be your quickest and easiest route to Canadian PR.

Also could I not still use my BUNAC Student Working Holiday Visa so I could work whilst my application is being processed? Or does the process and/or my situation not make this possible?
You can continue to work on Bunac, although what was your situation with your gf when you applied for your current Bunac visa, were you living together at the time? If so, those with Canadian common-law partners aren't eligible for Bunac so I don't know if that will cause you an issue at a later date when you apply for PR. Hopefully not, but just something to bear in mind.

Good luck!
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Just a quick update and a couple of questions pertaining to it. Between us my girlfriend and I have discovered that I need to obtain a Certificate of Selection (CSQ) from Immigration Quebec as we want to continue to live in Montreal in Quebec. I need to send my application for this to Paris along with supporting documents. My first question is should I begin this process now or later when we are married and our son is born? Obviously I would like to begin it as soon as possible as it takes 8 to 11 months to obtain but during the time the processing will take my situation will change, as we intend to marry and our child is due in September. The application requires me to declare any family I have living in Quebec already, presently this is none but in the future will be a wife and son. If I apply now but then have to keep updating my information does this mean that the application starts anew each time and does it slow down the process and involve extra cost?

Also Immigration Quebec told my girlfriend that if I obtain a Certificate of Selection and she sponsors me then I will be able to work as soon as I obtain the Certificate of Selection, I won't have to wait for Permanent Residency to be granted I can work whilst I am awaiting this. Can anybody verify this?

Again, my thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and is able to offer help or guidance in any way.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:06 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Just a quick update and a couple of questions pertaining to it. Between us my girlfriend and I have discovered that I need to obtain a Certificate of Selection (CSQ) from Immigration Quebec as we want to continue to live in Montreal in Quebec. I need to send my application for this to Paris along with supporting documents. My first question is should I begin this process now or later when we are married and our son is born? Obviously I would like to begin it as soon as possible as it takes 8 to 11 months to obtain but during the time the processing will take my situation will change, as we intend to marry and our child is due in September. The application requires me to declare any family I have living in Quebec already, presently this is none but in the future will be a wife and son. If I apply now but then have to keep updating my information does this mean that the application starts anew each time and does it slow down the process and involve extra cost?

Also Immigration Quebec told my girlfriend that if I obtain a Certificate of Selection and she sponsors me then I will be able to work as soon as I obtain the Certificate of Selection, I won't have to wait for Permanent Residency to be granted I can work whilst I am awaiting this. Can anybody verify this?

Again, my thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and is able to offer help or guidance in any way.

1. You are confusing apples with oranges and grapefruit
2, Once you marry and your spouse sponsors you, you application and her sponsorship are sent to Mississauga. If Mississauga approves the sponsorship they will send your sponsor a letter to apply to the MICC for a CSQ http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...ion/index.html
3. Once that is approved then the application will be sent to London for processing.
4. If you apply under FSW for Quebec, it will take a lot longer to process than the spousal application, and there is guarantee that you will qualify for a CSQ.
5. Once your BUNAC ends, that is it for working unless you can find an employer that is able to get an LMO and CAQ approved for your job.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thank you for your responses I think I pretty much understand the process that we will have to go through now. Could anyone tell me though is there any part of this process that we could begin now, before we are married? Like is it worth me getting my medical examination done now, especially whilst I am still back in the UK? Or could my girlfriend apply to become a sponsor now or does she have to wait until we are married?

Also with Quebec Immigration is it still quicker to apply overland than it is inland?

Thank you again to all those who have replied you've made something that was causing me alot of stress and confusion pretty simply. I appreciate it.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm... not trying to cause a problem or put a dampener on things, but didn't you say that you started living together in September?

If that is the case, then you will not be able to apply under Common Law status as you must have been living together continuously for a period of more than 12 months to qualify. As you are out of the country now you would need to return to Canada and live with her for a year before applying.

If you were to marry (and it doesn't have to be fancy nor expensive) your girlfriend could sponsor you under the spousal catagory "outland".

Sorry!

Edit: Your girlfriend can't sponsor you under "fiance" as there is no such thing.. you would have to wait until you were married.
I would wait until you come to Canada to get your medical, it's much cheaper!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Siouxie, we don't intend to apply under common-law as we intend to marry. Would the medical really be cheaper for me in Canada than here in the UK where I'm entitled to free healthcare? I've had to have a similar medical before for when I worked on a cruise ship and all I remember paying for is the blood tests.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:08 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie, we don't intend to apply under common-law as we intend to marry. Would the medical really be cheaper for me in Canada than here in the UK where I'm entitled to free healthcare? I've had to have a similar medical before for when I worked on a cruise ship and all I remember paying for is the blood tests.
Nope you have to pay for it. Not sure about other places but medicals in London cost just under £300 for the medical and x-ray
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Does anybody know the price in Canada?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:04 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Does anybody know the price in Canada?
Others have report it costs about $200 in Canada.