UK to Canada

Old Oct 18th 2002, 12:01 am
Just Joined

clementd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Canada

I live in the UK at the moment and to be honest it is not my favorite place for many reasons.
I was thinking of moving to Canada, because of the beauty of the country, open space, proper seasons, etc.
Can anyone living in Canada from the UK tell me how they find the standard of living compared to the UK. ie for the same salary can you get more for your money. I earn a decent salary as an electronic engineer in Nottingham, but can't really afford a new car or even to buy a proper house.

I have also heard from many sources that Canadian people don't seem very open or friendly. Any comments?

Thanks,

Dave
Old Oct 18th 2002, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

johnparker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Canada

Originally posted by clementd:
I live in the UK at the moment and to be honest it is not my favorite place for many reasons.
I was thinking of moving to Canada, because of the beauty of the country, open space, proper seasons, etc.
Can anyone living in Canada from the UK tell me how they find the standard of living compared to the UK. ie for the same salary can you get more for your money. I earn a decent salary as an electronic engineer in Nottingham, but can't really afford a new car or even to buy a proper house.

I have also heard from many sources that Canadian people don't seem very open or friendly. Any comments?

Thanks,

Dave
well hi dave

well i dont know where you got that from the canadians are firendly people they have a good personality i went out there in june 2002 and they make you feel welcome, we are thinking of moving out there but the points are very hard to get you need 75 to qualify i have 69 at the moment but for me to be able to get out there we have to go out there on a working visa and that will get you an extra 5 points but if you get a job offer then this will get you 10 points , the cost of living is very cheap compared to the uk any way email me direct mate on [email protected]

thanks

john parker
Old Oct 18th 2002, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

dougall is an unknown quantity at this point

hello dave

first off i would like to prove you wrong, canadians ARE open and friendly!!! canada is in the top ten most desireable countries to live in the world.

i'm canadian with an boyfriend from england and well, what can i say, he wants to come live here too. his opinion is the quality of life here is better, your pound is worth almost twice the canadian dollar at current exchange.

sure canada is beautiful, more sunshine and hotter summers than the UK, and yes much more defined seasons. yes basically you can get more for your money as far as costs of dining out, food in grocery stores, buying a car and gas etc.
if you are looking into real estate you will find houses much more reasonable in areas surrounding or away from large cities. (toronto, montreal and vancouver for instance.) well that just makes sense i think in any country.

as far as your career background, have you tried the CI points assessment? you will probably score well with your potential to find employment here. cheers and good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2002, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your response, I might email you when I get a better idea of what I was looking for.

Originally posted by johnparker:

well hi dave

well i dont know where you got that from the canadians are firendly people they have a good personality i went out there in june 2002 and they make you feel welcome, we are thinking of moving out there but the points are very hard to get you need 75 to qualify i have 69 at the moment but for me to be able to get out there we have to go out there on a working visa and that will get you an extra 5 points but if you get a job offer then this will get you 10 points , the cost of living is very cheap compared to the uk any way email me direct mate on [email protected]

thanks

john parker
Old Oct 18th 2002, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, or canadians, it's just what I have heard, I think I should come over there and try for myself.

Thanks for the info. sounds nice.

Originally posted by dougall:
hello dave

first off i would like to prove you wrong, canadians ARE open and friendly!!! canada is in the top ten most desireable countries to live in the world.

i'm canadian with an boyfriend from england and well, what can i say, he wants to come live here too. his opinion is the quality of life here is better, your pound is worth almost twice the canadian dollar at current exchange.

sure canada is beautiful, more sunshine and hotter summers than the UK, and yes much more defined seasons. yes basically you can get more for your money as far as costs of dining out, food in grocery stores, buying a car and gas etc.
if you are looking into real estate you will find houses much more reasonable in areas surrounding or away from large cities. (toronto, montreal and vancouver for instance.) well that just makes sense i think in any country.

as far as your career background, have you tried the CI points assessment? you will probably score well with your potential to find employment here. cheers and good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2002, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

dougall is an unknown quantity at this point

hey no offence taken! you should hear what i've heard about `brits' and the english etc. i will go there someday to find out for myself too.
Old Oct 18th 2002, 9:07 am
Just Joined

hughp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by clementd:

Thanks,

Dave
Just a technical point if you don`t already know it. Quebec is beautiful and the french canadians are lovely. But some areas are completly french speaking. Also some jobs demand you are bi-lingual.

All public services are proided in both langauges and almost all public employees speak english fluently.

For everyday life, if you speak some french it is no problem. If you don`t, in Quebec it is advisable to check in advance if you apply for a job if they demand french. Also if you want to live in a particular area, also check if it is english speaking or bi-lingual. Montreal is relatively bi-lingual but certain other places you will find towns or quarters of towns were you cannot buy a pâcket of cornflakes without french! It is usually just a question of living in another village or another quater of the town.

The Quebecoise don`t usually bother if you carn`t speak french but you might get rather hungry.
Old Oct 18th 2002, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

iancurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

Another point to note is that 'French' is a rough approximation of what they speak in Quebec ! I holidayed there a few years ago with a French friend and he could hardly understand what some of the locals were saying. Needless to say my schoolboy French was next to useless.
Old Oct 19th 2002, 4:35 am
Just Joined

hughp is an unknown quantity at this point

There is not one French Canadian but many. The main is of course Québécois but there is also Arcadian – in the Maritimes. The main difference to the ear to French French is probably the intonation – the emphasis is in a sentence is in the middle. This means you cannot change a statement to a question by altering the intonation – as is habitual in France.

There are some words that are different but these tend to favour the English speakers – e.g. Checker – to check, la building, toast etc. A great advantage is that virtually all parts of a car are (American) English. There are still some old French words in circulation dating from the separation with France. If you just look blank, you will be supplied with the English or French equivalent.

HOWEVER, the big problem is that the Québécois run words together. For example, ’detroy’ is the phonetic pronunciation in Québécois of Detroit. During a conversation about American towns, I tried to work out where ‘demot’ could be? Then I realised it was (ironically) deux mots.

In Montreal and Quebec, despite this, if you speak French French there is no problem in understanding. In addition, virtually everyone in public services speaks English anyway – hotels, cafes, car hire etc. Though naturally they do like you to make an effort – you know Good Morning, thank you etc. By the way both cites are incredible for holidays, particularly if you like food, as I do, and also for history, particularly Quebec City. The clothes and entertainment in Montreal are also good.

The problem occurs in the rural areas or more remote towns. You can encounter no English but also very thick Québécois. However, in these areas the Québécois are incredibly kind and charming. A tip by the way, if you cannot understand the language, say you are from Great Britain – they become even more delightful and helpful.

A marvellous holiday is going along the St Lawrence not just for the scenery but also the people and the cuisine – provided you like sea food!

I wrote some stories, which appeared in La Soleil about our mixed Québécois – British marriage. This included one on my problems just after marriage with the Québécois French lady. The English version is on my (singer) wife’s webb-site gaetanebreton.com.