Type 1 Diabetic Medical..?

Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice
Default Type 1 Diabetic Medical..?

Hi All,
Hoping someone can advise or help! I am Type 1 Diabetic (have been for 31 years!) and I'm just wondering what extra info etc I need to bring to our Medical on Friday?? Will I need extra tests or to provide further info..?
Any advice would very very much appreciated.
Thank-you!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:56 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Type 1 Diabetic Medical..?

The more info you can get from your GP the better,

Im not a medical person but I would be looking for

is it well controlled? Latest blood test results (H1abc???? i think its called , you would know )

any health issues related ( neuropathy , eye sight etc)

I think that more is always better in these cases

Good luck
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceaneoneill
Hi All,
Hoping someone can advise or help! I am Type 1 Diabetic (have been for 31 years!) and I'm just wondering what extra info etc I need to bring to our Medical on Friday?? Will I need extra tests or to provide further info..?
Any advice would very very much appreciated.
Thank-you!!
Hi

I am a type I diabetic and I came through the medical with no problem. I took a letter from my diabetic consultant stating how good my control was, what my last HB1AC was (and the ones for the previous 3 years) and how often I attended the clinic.

I obtained something similar from my GP stating how often I attended (rarely) and confirming my medication (type and quantity).

It is likely that you will not have sufficient time now to obtain this information. They are likely to want your GP to forward to them your recent blood test results to enable them to see if there is any inappropriate readings.

Just be aware that insulin and, surprisingly blood test strips, are very expensive over here.

Best of luck
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice

A Big Thanks for that - my consultant is away until mid Sept
so I'm going to have to forward his letter then...

However I didn't realise we'd have to pay for all meds including test strips - eeeeek... I thought read somewhere that med insurance covered this...
Do you mind if I e-mail / pm you with a couple of 'Diabetic in Canada' type questions?!?
Huge Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Hi

I am a type I diabetic and I came through the medical with no problem. I took a letter from my diabetic consultant stating how good my control was, what my last HB1AC was (and the ones for the previous 3 years) and how often I attended the clinic.

I obtained something similar from my GP stating how often I attended (rarely) and confirming my medication (type and quantity).

It is likely that you will not have sufficient time now to obtain this information. They are likely to want your GP to forward to them your recent blood test results to enable them to see if there is any inappropriate readings.

Just be aware that insulin and, surprisingly blood test strips, are very expensive over here.

Best of luck
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Zoe - that does make sense!!

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
The more info you can get from your GP the better,

Im not a medical person but I would be looking for

is it well controlled? Latest blood test results (H1abc???? i think its called , you would know )

any health issues related ( neuropathy , eye sight etc)

I think that more is always better in these cases

Good luck
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

However I didn't realise we'd have to pay for all meds including test strips - eeeeek... I thought read somewhere that med insurance covered this...
Do you mind if I e-mail / pm you with a couple of 'Diabetic in Canada' type questions?!?
Huge Thanks!!
Medical insurance will cover most of it, if you can get it. My wife gets 90% of her prescriptions and all of her pump supplies covered, including test strips. However, you'll need to get medical insurance through work that doesn't require a medical, or you'll end up paying a lot on medical insurance instead of on the supplies. Test strips cost about $1 per strip, and meters cost $60-$80. My wife was amazed that she managed to pick one up for £15 in England in March.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like, and I can ask my wife if I don't know myself.

Andy
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Andy - that's really helpfull!!
I'm going to have a Google around it tomorrow and e-mail you if I'm still confused

Originally Posted by smivers
Medical insurance will cover most of it, if you can get it. My wife gets 90% of her prescriptions and all of her pump supplies covered, including test strips. However, you'll need to get medical insurance through work that doesn't require a medical, or you'll end up paying a lot on medical insurance instead of on the supplies. Test strips cost about $1 per strip, and meters cost $60-$80. My wife was amazed that she managed to pick one up for £15 in England in March.

Andy
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:05 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smivers

Andy
The type of group extended health schemes that most employers offer cannot exclude a new employee on medical grounds as long as the application for membership is made in the required time For most schemes this is within one month of the end of a three month probationary period.

If the application is not made in time the employee is subjected to medical screening. I guess this is to stop people not paying the premiums when they are healthy and waiting to be diagnosed with something expensive before they join.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

A Big Thanks for that - my consultant is away until mid Sept
so I'm going to have to forward his letter then...

Huge Thanks!!
PM away. As has been said by others, you are likely to be able to obtain medical coverage via your employers but you may not.

My first position provided me with 80% coverage, my second, luckily, 100%. I am now self employed so pay for it myself.

I don't know what it is like being a diabetic in other parts of the country, but in Calgary, I have never seen a diabetic consultant or been able to be referred to one. I attend the local vampires to have my bloods tested every 3 months and the results are then passed to my GP. Other than "Keep your results below 7" I have never received any form of "advice".

I have found it virtually impossible to obtain any form of health insurance over here (having never been refused such in England). In fact, the only type of insurance of that nature I have been able to obtain was obtained via an employer's scheme. Once I left that employer, I was able to take it with me and pay for it myself. Luckily I did, because each time I have applied for it subsequent to leaving, I have been refused.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Well, we all got our medicals this morning & as I suspected hubby and children's went fine but mine was a little more complicated...

I took a detailed letter from my GP stating my diabetic control was v good - with no complications, my HbA1C results/a list of medication etc...
However the Dr took an extra blood test - I believe to check kidney function and asked:
1) for my annual retinal screen from hospital to be sent through
2) the results of a microalbuminia (spelling?) screen.

My GP has faxed the retinal screen back this afternoon but cannot find a microalbuminia result so now I'm not sure what happens...
Argghhh - feeling a wee bit stressed
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:42 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

worst case scenario , you have to go back , give some blood and pay for the extra test.

Chances are it won't add too much of a delay because they have to wait for all your other blood results to come through anyway.

Dent in wallet , not too much time added

Hope all goes well
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reassurance Zoe! I'm going to try to chill out & enjoy the bank holiday here

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
worst case scenario , you have to go back , give some blood and pay for the extra test.

Chances are it won't add too much of a delay because they have to wait for all your other blood results to come through anyway.

Dent in wallet , not too much time added

Hope all goes well
Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

canihope is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Oceanoneill,

Just want to say well done on getting through the medicals today.
Do try not to worry as ZoeBell said it may just mean one more test, you're nearly there!

for you, and do enjoy your bank holiday.
Nikki X