TWP worry change of employer

Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about
Default TWP worry change of employer

Hey All,

I am currently in Canada on a TWP which is LMO exempt through the IT exemption category. I was offered a new role for a similar employer doing basically the same job and chose to except it.

I handed in my two weeks notice last week and finish at my current job next Friday. Now i had planned on going down to the POE to apply for a new LMO exempt TWP for my new employer on the Saturday as they want me to start straight away however I have a worry that this could be viewed as a change of employer rather than a new visa application and thus they may not do it at POE.

Does anyone have knowledge on this track that they can advise if it is possible for my to apply at POE?

Any help much appreciated,
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: TWP worry change of employer

Anyone? Having just spoken with the CIC they say I can try at POE but its up to the officer discretion.

However to me http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMa...des/5553E3.asp this says I can not apply in Canada anyway due to the fact that my visa was issued at a port of entry

"Persons whose work permits were authorized by a visa office abroad, where the permit was not issued at a port of entry;"

My previous visa was issued at POE.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Originally Posted by Loki117
Anyone? Having just spoken with the CIC they say I can try at POE but its up to the officer discretion.

However to me http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMa...des/5553E3.asp this says I can not apply in Canada anyway due to the fact that my visa was issued at a port of entry

"Persons whose work permits were authorized by a visa office abroad, where the permit was not issued at a port of entry;"

I was under the impression that if you already work in Canada and are apply to extend/change conditions, that you can apply from within Canada for a new work permit.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey Lloydies you can indeed apply within Canada but it takes > 30 days if I can do it at Buffalo it is a same day TWP issue most of the time.

Thanks for the input.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Hey Lloydies you can indeed apply within Canada but it takes > 30 days if I can do it at Buffalo it is a same day TWP issue most of the time.

Thanks for the input.
Good luck! We're awaiting our extension back from Vegreville at the mo.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:38 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Our original WP was POE, we have renewed twice at Buffalo and then just taken the letter they give to POE, we have had no problems doing this, you just have to make sure that you take all the correct paperwork to Buffalo, oh and get there early we arrived at 7am to find a line up, we were fifth in.

By the time they opened 8am (I think), the line up was massive, you have to be there before 10am to have the letter issued the same day.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

When you applied at Buffalo did you use the application for extension http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM1249E.PDF

or just the normal application form for TWP outside of Canada? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM1295B.PDF

I was unsure what I should use because I am changing employer so have filled out both to take with me.

As always any help greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Clematis
Our original WP was POE, we have renewed twice at Buffalo and then just taken the letter they give to POE, we have had no problems doing this, you just have to make sure that you take all the correct paperwork to Buffalo, oh and get there early we arrived at 7am to find a line up, we were fifth in.

By the time they opened 8am (I think), the line up was massive, you have to be there before 10am to have the letter issued the same day.
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:55 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was the second one, but cannot clearly remember, I have filled so many forms in over the last two years that they have all started to blend into one another!
Old May 4th 2010, 5:13 am
Just Joined

worldJumper is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if i'm any help but i am here in canada on an IT exempt position also. I also recently switched jobs. In fact, within a year i switched jobs 3 times all in the same city, 3 diff companies. First WP was issued in toronto intl, the rest at POE in nb. No problems whatsoever. In fact, the border guard was nice enough to tell me exactly what to bring next time to avoid paying a lawyer everytime i wanna move up the ladder lol. good luck