Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP transfered to local CIC office!!!

TWP transfered to local CIC office!!!

Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Mavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really nice
Default TWP transfered to local CIC office!!!

Hi,

I've been working in Canada for nearly four years. Every year I have renewed my work permit through Vegreville. But this year my file was transfered to my local CIC office in Quebec! I called CIC vegreville to ask why and they told me that it was done because they wanted to verify some things! They wouldn't tell me what these "things" were. Am I under some sort of investigation? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Just a quick backgrounder: My recent renewal experience has been riddled with one obstacle after another. CIC first refused to renew my application sighting they believed I had dual intentions. They told me I could still reapply as long as I could prove that I intend to leave Canada at the end of my temporary stay. Luckily I had made my initial application early enough to give me time to reapply without being out of status. I'm currently under implied status.

Earlier last year I wanted to change the category of my work to that of a live-in caregiver but I withdrew my application before a determination was made and continued to work under the current WP.

Also, earlier this year there was a major outbreak of violence in my country.

Could these factors have lead to the first refusal and now the file transfer?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future
Default Re: TWP transfered to local CIC office!!!

Originally Posted by Mavis W
Hi,

I've been working in Canada for nearly four years. Every year I have renewed my work permit through Vegreville. But this year my file was transfered to my local CIC office in Quebec! I called CIC vegreville to ask why and they told me that it was done because they wanted to verify some things! They wouldn't tell me what these "things" were. Am I under some sort of investigation? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Just a quick backgrounder: My recent renewal experience has been riddled with one obstacle after another. CIC first refused to renew my application sighting they believed I had dual intentions. They told me I could still reapply as long as I could prove that I intend to leave Canada at the end of my temporary stay. Luckily I had made my initial application early enough to give me time to reapply without being out of status. I'm currently under implied status.

Earlier last year I wanted to change the category of my work to that of a live-in caregiver but I withdrew my application before a determination was made and continued to work under the current WP.

Also, earlier this year there was a major outbreak of violence in my country.

Could these factors have lead to the first refusal and now the file transfer?
You can expect a telephone call from a visa officer in the coming weeks and they'll ask you come to your nearest CIC office for an interview. As to the specifics of what they will ask during the interview, I really can't say. If they have said that you have to: "prove that you intend to leave Canada at the end of your temporary stay". Then you should focus on that for your interview as that subject will arise. From what you have said, I'd suggest that they suspect that you want to stay permanently in Canada, but you only have a TWP. If you can't prove that you will leave then it's possible the visa officer might not grant you a new TWP.

In my case, I had to prove that the small Canadian company that I was to operate, under a TWP, would: "bring economic benefit to Canada" which I did. The interview was about an hour and half long.

Finally, you've been in Canada for four years on a temporary work permit, I think (I maybe wrong) the maximum amount of time you can be in Canada on a temporary work permit is six years (perhaps someone else can correct the amount of time) (this may also by why they wish to interview you as your time on a TWP is running out). Why don't you put in an application for permanent residence (consider the new CEC class) or do you definitely wish to leave Canada at the expiry of your next TWP?

Last edited by kiton6; Sep 19th 2008 at 11:07 am. Reason: afterthought
Old Sep 20th 2008, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Mavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really nice

Thanks a bunch Kiton6. I was going to start my PR application earlier this year but with the changes to the immigration regulations going on I wanted to wait until the ball started rolling on all quarters. I've considered CEC but my employer wants to sponsor me under Nova Scotia's Provincial Nominee Programme. I think I prefer the latter as I will have less to prove (language, money...etc). I plan to return to my country next week to start my PR application there rather than wait to hear from my local CIC office about my TWP. I'll just have to inform them I am leaving the country. I'm only worried that this whole TWP saga will affect my PR application... and I'm not sure if doing it from my home country is the best thing but I've been waiting two months! (what with the excruciatingly long processing times at vegreville this summer) and I'm knackered, anxious and just too stressed to wait any longer for what might be another refusal. Am I doing the right thing going back home?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

sorry to hijack, but what happens to people who apply for a twp who have already applied for PR and stated so in their TWP application? Is it likely they will refuse it?

Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Thanks a bunch Kiton6. I was going to start my PR application earlier this year but with the changes to the immigration regulations going on I wanted to wait until the ball started rolling on all quarters. I've considered CEC but my employer wants to sponsor me under Nova Scotia's Provincial Nominee Programme. I think I prefer the latter as I will have less to prove (language, money...etc). I plan to return to my country next week to start my PR application there rather than wait to hear from my local CIC office about my TWP. I'll just have to inform them I am leaving the country. I'm only worried that this whole TWP saga will affect my PR application... and I'm not sure if doing it from my home country is the best thing but I've been waiting two months! (what with the excruciatingly long processing times at vegreville this summer) and I'm knackered, anxious and just too stressed to wait any longer for what might be another refusal. Am I doing the right thing going back home?
Personally, and this is just my opinion, I'd of went for the interview at the CIC office, tried to get an extension to the current work permit and explained that I'm applying for the PNP programme and that my employer has agreed to sponsor me. I'd of taken a letter from the employer showing that they are willing to sponsor me. Thus, helping you get an extension to your TWP.

I'm not an expert in this matter, so perhaps someone else can share their ideas, but at least going for an interview would help give you a definitive idea of your position. By going back without an interview, you are going to be none the wiser. Once you apply for PR from home you will be continually thinking has "this whole TWP saga affected my PR application?", at least you'll get an answer at an interview.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Great advice kiton6.... unfortunately I've already informed CIC about my departure and I"m flying home tomorrow! If I get nominated by Nova Scotia, it's going to be very hard for CIC to refuse my pr application. That's one thing to look forward to.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:00 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice kiton6.... unfortunately I've already informed CIC about my departure and I"m flying home tomorrow! If I get nominated by Nova Scotia, it's going to be very hard for CIC to refuse my pr application. That's one thing to look forward to.

Thanks again.
Hi

I believe that CIC hold the final word on whether to grant PR, even if a province has nominated.

Good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
sorry to hijack, but what happens to people who apply for a twp who have already applied for PR and stated so in their TWP application? Is it likely they will refuse it?

Thanks
After years of 1 year extensions the consultant doing by TWP renewal this year wrote a letter that stated that my employer wished to employ me permanently so could I please have at least 2 years on the TWP so it would cover the time to get PR. Amazingly they gave me the 2 years. In gneral I think that CIC tend to look favourably on applicant wishing to contribute long term to Canada rather that just taking the money and running. I could be wrong though.

And as sod's law would have it after all this hassle, my wife has just announced that she has had enough of Canada and wants to go back to Europe. Gutted. Could be worse I suppose, if we had stayed much longer then changed our minds the evil departure tax would kick in.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

I believe that CIC hold the final word on whether to grant PR, even if a province has nominated.

Good luck
True true...