Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP tied to employer - can I get another job?

TWP tied to employer - can I get another job?

Old May 22nd 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond repute
Default TWP tied to employer - can I get another job?

Hi there
I am here on a TWP, currently in the final stages of PR (just awaiting passport requests which are hopefully imminent) but as the primary applicant, my TWP ties me to the firm I work for. If I were to look to change jobs/employers, what would the implications be, is it even possible for me to do this? Would I have to apply for a new TWP and would I therefore need to get an LMO from the new employer, given where I am in the PR process?
Thanks all!

Hermione :-)
Old May 22nd 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: TWP tied to employer - can I get another job?

as it looks by your signature that you have PNP, you can switch employers w/o LMO (unless rules are totally different in AB) ..but you will have to apply for a new WP ($150). If you are shortly before receiving PR, I would wait and avoid all the hassle...but of course that depends on your personal circumstances.
Old May 22nd 2012, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manitobain
as it looks by your signature that you have PNP, you can switch employers w/o LMO (unless rules are totally different in AB) ..but you will have to apply for a new WP ($150). If you are shortly before receiving PR, I would wait and avoid all the hassle...but of course that depends on your personal circumstances.
Yes, we do have PNP. I'm trying my best to hang on for the PR, but may have to make the leap before we get it through if it takes too much longer - thanks so much for the quick response!
Old May 22nd 2012, 6:21 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

That depends on whether the Provincial Office is still willing to continue to nominate you with a new employer. You would need to talk to AINP about it.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...while_you_wait

While you wait: if you are already living and working in Alberta
  • Do not let your work permit expire. You must be prepared to apply for another work permit while CIC is processing your application for Permanent Residence. Find out more about extending your work permit.
  • If you have any changes to your job in Alberta, such as being laid-off or working for a new employer contact the AINP immediately.

Last edited by BTJ; May 22nd 2012 at 6:24 pm.
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BTJ
That depends on whether the Provincial Office is still willing to continue to nominate you with a new employer. You would need to talk to AINP about it.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...while_you_wait
Thanks BTJ! It's just good to know that it's not completely out of the question but obviously if it really comes to the point that I absolutely need to jump ship, I will contact immigration in the first instance. Thanks again!
Old May 24th 2012, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hermione
Hi there
I am here on a TWP, currently in the final stages of PR (just awaiting passport requests which are hopefully imminent) but as the primary applicant, my TWP ties me to the firm I work for. If I were to look to change jobs/employers, what would the implications be, is it even possible for me to do this? Would I have to apply for a new TWP and would I therefore need to get an LMO from the new employer, given where I am in the PR process?
Thanks all!

Hermione :-)
Hi Hermione

Before our PR was granted the immigration office dealing with our application wanted a letter from my employer to state I was still working for them.

The HR person in my employment said that they had not had that before.
I am not sure if it would have made a difference, but glad I was still with the sponsoring employer.

Good luck
Old May 24th 2012, 11:45 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
Hi Hermione

Before our PR was granted the immigration office dealing with our application wanted a letter from my employer to state I was still working for them.

The HR person in my employment said that they had not had that before.
I am not sure if it would have made a difference, but glad I was still with the sponsoring employer.

Good luck
Happened to me also, probably as a result of the company laying off some staff earlier in the year. They probably just want to reassure themselves you are still working
Old May 25th 2012, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGK
Happened to me also, probably as a result of the company laying off some staff earlier in the year. They probably just want to reassure themselves you are still working
I expect so. I had heard that people were being sponsored by one company and moving to another throughout the process and not informing immigration. Don't know how true it is, so I won't speculate
Old May 26th 2012, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

DoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant futureDoyleLinda has a brilliant future

Just to let you know my OH is in the same situation as you and we have been granted MPNP just recently. My OH is a mechanic and the company who he is currently working for are not complying with the guidelines as set out in the LMO i.e. 40 hrs per week, some days he only gets 3 hrs work and other days if he is lucky anything between 6 and 7, anyway we contacted immigration after he was nominated and they told us that under the circumstances they would give him a letter of support in order to obtain another work permit and he can change jobs. He has an offer on the table from another employer who is guaranteeing him 40 hrs so we are going to get the paperwork sorted out ASAP, so its my experience that if there are circumstances that they consider to be unjust they will definetely do anything they can to help. just thought I should tell my story here so that you can decide for yourself if its worth it or not, in our case it deffo is worth changing before PR is granted. Good luck.