Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP to start a business in Canada...

TWP to start a business in Canada...

Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:37 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Question TWP to start a business in Canada...

Hi...

In the "Getting into Canada Quickly" Wiki it reads;

'Another, somewhat risky approach -- that at least one member of the BE forum has used to gain entry to Canada -- is to apply for a temporary work permit on the basis that you are going to start a business in Canada. This requires fairly considerable resources, business acumen, and guts.'

Ive done a forum search but cant find any threads or info on this.

Do any forum members have experience or advice on this route to a TWP ?

TIA,

Regards,

Mark.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future
Default Re: TWP to start a business in Canada...

No but I'm trying to find something similar on a s/e basis, but not buying a business.

However, I do believe you can buy a business and keep the profits in trust until your visa comes through.

lynpy
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

JTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lynpy
No but I'm trying to find something similar on a s/e basis, but not buying a business.
lynpy

s/e - self employed?

I'm interested as I'm a sole trader in the UK working at home (freelance copy-editor). I'd like to do the same in Canada. Everything I find seems to be about funding/buying a business. I'd be interested to hear if you find anything.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:35 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Mark, and welcome to the BE forum.

R I C H is the forum member who did it.

See UK --> Kamloops: My Story, which he posted in December 2005.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:48 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynpy

However, I do believe you can buy a business and keep the profits in trust until your visa comes through.

lynpy
Not a chance for TWP as self-employed without doing what R I C H has done - serious business plan outlining benefits to Canadian economy and solid investment into setting up or buying a business. Even then chances are low.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:50 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JTM73
s/e - self employed?

I'm interested as I'm a sole trader in the UK working at home (freelance copy-editor). I'd like to do the same in Canada. Everything I find seems to be about funding/buying a business. I'd be interested to hear if you find anything.
Forget about TWP under the circumstances. But you may qualify for PR visa under self-employed in cultural field.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:17 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Drop me a line if you want any further information.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:16 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Hi R I C H...

Thanks for getting back. I have a few questions;

After you put in for PR application how quickly afterwoulds did you then apply for your TWP ?

On the TWP application were problems caused because your TWP was to run a business as an owner of a business ?...

... &, even though at this stage you didn't actually own the business (In other words, was the TWP issued on the strict condition that you purchased that particular business)?

Did you have experience of running your own business in the UK in the previous 10 years - if so how much experience did you have (I'm guessing you did have at least 2 years as per application requirements or doesnt experience matter as much this route ) ?

When you moved to BC on holiday visa's were Canadian immigration completely aware of your situation, or did they just presume you were on an actual holiday - in other words, if I followed your example would I have to... err... be selective with the truth when entering Canada on the holiday visa ?

And lastly, your application for a TWP I'm presuming was made from the UK as you were their at that time. Did the fact that you were in Canada on a holiday visa cause any problems receiving your TWP... or were your TWP's sent to the UK and then forwarded back to BC ?

TIA,

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited by loser40; Jun 4th 2008 at 8:24 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
Hi R I C H...

Thanks for getting back. I have a few questions;

After you put in for PR application how quickly afterwoulds did you then apply for your TWP ?
I applied for PR while still in the UK (AOR June '05), moved to Canada as a tourist several months later (Aug '05), and applied for a WP in late Nov '05

On the TWP application were problems caused because your TWP was to run a business as an owner of a business ?...
Nope

... &, even though at this stage you didn't actually own the business (In other words, was the TWP issued on the strict condition that you purchased that particular business)?
I did own the business, or at least the property and premises that were to be utilised. I purchased those in Aug '05. I was told that the WP wouldn't be issued unless I'd shown serious intent to deliver 'substantial benefit' to the local economy, part of which was the investment in premises etc. The investment didn't guarantee a WP would be issued, it was just an important element.

Did you have experience of running your own business in the UK in the previous 10 years - if so how much experience did you have (I'm guessing you did have at least 2 years as per application requirements or doesnt experience matter as much this route ) ?
No experience at all. I was a senior manager within an IT SME, so had responsibility helping to run a business, but it wasn't mine by any means.

When you moved to BC on holiday visa's were Canadian immigration completely aware of your situation, or did they just presume you were on an actual holiday - in other words, if I followed your example would I have to... err... be selective with the truth when entering Canada on the holiday visa ?
The truth was I was there to buy property. I had a return ticket, and immigration was happy about that, there was no need to be economical with the truth.

And lastly, your application for a TWP I'm presuming was made from the UK as you were their at that time. Did the fact that you were in Canada on a holiday visa cause any problems receiving your TWP... or were your TWP's sent to the UK and then forwarded back to BC ?
Nope, I applied for the TWP at Sumas border crossing in the Fraser Valley near Vancouver. Being here on holiday had no apparent implications.

TIA,

Regards,

Mark.

Hope that helps answer some questions

Last edited by R I C H; Jun 5th 2008 at 1:10 am.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

JTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura aboutJTM73 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Forget about TWP under the circumstances. But you may qualify for PR visa under self-employed in cultural field.
Thanks for the advice Andrew, this is useful to know.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:19 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Hey R I C H...

Thanks for getting back to me.

That's all very interesting to hear.

Me and my other half will probably go the Study Permit route, but it's reassuring to know that a TWP to start a business is a good plan B.

M