TWP Question

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:03 am
Animal Member

FelisCattus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP Question

I know you can apply for a TWP from within Canada and do it online etc....can you do this while your visiting on the 6 month visitor visa?

Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Manek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TWP Question

Originally Posted by FelisCattus
I know you can apply for a TWP from within Canada and do it online etc....can you do this while your visiting on the 6 month visitor visa?

Thanks!
I think you can only apply in London as you havent been in Canada for one year. I m not sure though, let others reply.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by FelisCattus

Thanks!
No, visitors can't apply in-Canada for work permits, they must apply outside Canada at an overseas office, or if they are eligible at a Port of Entry.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:04 pm
Animal Member

OK thanks Guys
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No, visitors can't apply in-Canada for work permits, they must apply outside Canada at an overseas office, or if they are eligible at a Port of Entry.
I have been approached by my company saying that there is a role that they would consider me for in Vancouver. I am waiting to hear if they would consider taking me on with a TWP until I get PR.(personally I think its unlikely-but I'm a pessimist!)
It would seem to me that I have 2 options as I have a hubby and young kids
I have to go on my own and leave hubby/kids behind or let them come with me and my OH not work?
Have I got that right?
Is there another way for OH to get work over there? Ooh, just thought of another question..would the kids be allowed to be educated if I've got a TWP?
Cheers
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
I have been approached by my company saying that there is a role that they would consider me for in Vancouver. I am waiting to hear if they would consider taking me on with a TWP until I get PR.(personally I think its unlikely-but I'm a pessimist!)
It would seem to me that I have 2 options as I have a hubby and young kids
I have to go on my own and leave hubby/kids behind or let them come with me and my OH not work?
Have I got that right?
Is there another way for OH to get work over there? Ooh, just thought of another question..would the kids be allowed to be educated if I've got a TWP?
Cheers
Found the answer!!!!!

Your spouse and children may accompany you when you go to Canada on a work permit. See CIC's web page entitled Work Permits : Who are considered family members?

The spouse of a work permit holder receives a break that most foreigners do not get. Unlike other foreigners, he/she may apply for a work permit from inside Canada rather than having to apply from outside Canada.

If you come to Canada on a work permit and your job is listed in Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification Matrix, your spouse will be able to work through the Spousal Program. That is, he/she will be able to apply for Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP). He/she will be able to apply for any kind of job in Canada, and the employer offering him/her the job with not have to secure an LMO from HRSDC. But your spouse should be aware that it will take him/her a couple of months to get as SOWP if he/she applies in Canada. For that reason, it would be better if he/she lodged his/her work permit application with yours, before he/she came to Canada.

The spouse of a fulltime university student who is in Canada on a study permit also is entitled to a spousal open work permit.

Most government-funded school jurisdictions treat children of work permit holders like other residents of Canada. That is, they provide them with schooling that essentially is free. You may apply for Study Permits for the minor children who are accompanying you to Canada if you wish. However, in most instances that will not be necessary. They will be allowed to register in school just like other residents of Canada.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

tontointoronto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi feliscattus,

When did your employer apply for your LMO ? I've been waiting 8 weeks now & beginning to panic
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:24 am
Animal Member

Originally Posted by tontointoronto
Hi feliscattus,

When did your employer apply for your LMO ? I've been waiting 8 weeks now & beginning to panic
It's only been a couple if weeks, but I'm hoping that it'll be approved - the vet has been trying to hire someone for a very long time due to the remoteness of the location (Assinibioa, SK) I'm up for it because it'll be a great opportunity to get lots of experience in a short time! I'm not too fussed about the wait just yet as I still have to graduate and get my license to practice in SK in the next few weeks

I take it you're headed for Toronto? What job are you after?

FC
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

tontointoronto is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, just looked at it on the map, that is remote !! Sounds cool though. Hope it all works out for you. I was offered a banking job in TO in October. Not as exciting as yours unfortunately.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:13 am
Animal Member

I don't know - banking's pretty exciting these days! Good luck!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:06 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
Found the answer!!!!!

Your spouse and children may accompany you when you go to Canada on a work permit. See CIC's web page entitled Work Permits : Who are considered family members?

The spouse of a work permit holder receives a break that most foreigners do not get. Unlike other foreigners, he/she may apply for a work permit from inside Canada rather than having to apply from outside Canada.

If you come to Canada on a work permit and your job is listed in Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification Matrix, your spouse will be able to work through the Spousal Program. That is, he/she will be able to apply for Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP). He/she will be able to apply for any kind of job in Canada, and the employer offering him/her the job with not have to secure an LMO from HRSDC. But your spouse should be aware that it will take him/her a couple of months to get as SOWP if he/she applies in Canada. For that reason, it would be better if he/she lodged his/her work permit application with yours, before he/she came to Canada.

The spouse of a fulltime university student who is in Canada on a study permit also is entitled to a spousal open work permit.

Most government-funded school jurisdictions treat children of work permit holders like other residents of Canada. That is, they provide them with schooling that essentially is free. You may apply for Study Permits for the minor children who are accompanying you to Canada if you wish. However, in most instances that will not be necessary. They will be allowed to register in school just like other residents of Canada.
All the above is correct. I got an open work permit at POW. My husband has the LMO.

The kids will be able to go to school ect.

Good luck - hope you get it. It sounds like your PR isnt too far away though.