Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

From TWP to PR when living in Canada

From TWP to PR when living in Canada

Old Oct 21st 2015, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Dane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default From TWP to PR when living in Canada

Hi there,

Our family arrived in Toronto in February 2015. We are here on my husbands work permit, which is valid until February 2018. The application process was very fast as he came here as an intra-company transfer, so we basically just arrived in Pearson with a letter from his employer (drafted by their immigration lawyer) and had the work permit processed while we were waiting in the airport immigration office.

Our plan is and has all the time been to stay during the duration of the work permit (my husbands position here is permanent) and then go home, unless we at that point wanted to stay (longer).

Our children are really settling well and like staying here a lot. So I have started to think that we would perhaps be better off with permanent residency in the sense that the TWP is connected to his employer and that we will lose our legal basis to stay in case he is laid off (or simply wants to change jobs).

Since I have a background as an attorney-at-law, I am not that "employable" here, so even if I have an open work permit it will be difficult for me to get a job that could support us through an application proces in case he loses his job and we wish to stay.

Financially we would be fine for a year or two, if he was laid off. he is in a management position where the risk of being kicked out is always present - I am mainly concerned about being allowed to stay if we want to.

So, I am considering whether it would be wise to considerr applying for Permanent Residency. I don't know if it is even possible...? Since my husband currently has a well-paid, permanent position in a respected company, it could be that now would actually be a good time to apply...

I have tried looking in the Wiki and have searched through cic.gc.ca without finding any answers - perhaps because I don't know what I am looking for? :doh:

So, if anyone in here could possibly give me a brief outline (or just a link to where I can find the info) for 1) the requirements for applying for permanent residency? (who can apply and under which conditions?) and 2) a brief outline of the timing/the process if we apply now.

And does any of you now of disadvantages that we should also consider, when weighing our options?

TIA for any response that you are able to give
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From TWP to PR when living in Canada

As long as you meet PR requirements then you are good to go. We did it as did many others. Just check out both the wiki above and the CIC website.

Add. In the CIC website just look for permanent residency http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/Immigrate/index.asp

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Oct 21st 2015 at 6:52 am.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

BexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From TWP to PR when living in Canada

Hi, I too am here on a temporary work permit via an intra-company transfer. Do you know if your husband's employer obtained a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)? My employer didn't need to do so, give the nature of the transfer, although this was back in 2013. To be successful under the Express Entry system to PR, for practical purposes you are likely to need an LMIA (which accounts for half of the potential "points"). To get an LMIA, an employer must be able to demonstrate that the position has been advertised and no suitable Canadian candidate has applied. So just because your husband has been doing the job for a couple of years, does not mean this is a formality. In terms of potential disadvantages, the process is not cheap, e.g. the cost of an English test (!) and medicals. What I would say is that this website, and the contributors, are a great resource and help.