TWP to PR

Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

snakebite will become famous soon enoughsnakebite will become famous soon enough
Default TWP to PR

Hi all
sorry, I know this is probably a hackneyed old subject, and I've checked the WIKi, but still a bit confused.

We arrived in Canada 3 weeks ago, my wife on an Intra Co transfer (LMO waived), and although I had my own LMO, the officer at Pearson gave me a 3yr open WP on the back of my wife's, very handy if I wanted to change jobs!

We'd now like to apply for PR, and I'm just a bit confused as to whether our application goes to Buffalo or London?
Is it the same form to download from CIC as if we were applying without WPs?

tia
Nick
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP to PR

If admitted to Canada for 12 months or more, you can apply to Buffalo.

If you are British citizens, you can also apply to London.

Which one you should send your application to depends on circumstances.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:58 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

With arranged employment apply through London. Buffalo is not expediting cases with arranged employment and soon will be swamped with CEC applications.

You don't use simplified application form - you need to download all for SW from this page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/skilled.asp

plus additional forms and checklist from CHC London's website here:

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...lled/e_sum.pdf

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...0Statement.pdf

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...d/e_police.pdf

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...d/e_swchck.pdf

To claim arranged employment a copy of valid work permit, proof of working in Canada (few payslips) and letter from employer confirming fact of employment and expressing intention to convert current temporary employment into a full time, permanent position on indeterminate basis after you become a PR need to be submitted with application. Seems your wife as principal applicant may be best choice (based on very little info you provided).
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: TWP to PR

Hi,

As Andrew's previous reply said, follow the procedure for the full Permanent Residency application and submit it to London.

You can follow the checklist and gather all the documents and evidence.

I am on the Fast-Track WP > PR route, and I had to ensure that my employer wrote a letter confirming that my employment would become permanent if I was approved for PR. The Wiki is very good on detailing the steps.

It's important they state this as all employment while on the Temporary Work Permit is deemed 'temporary'.

I found the most fiddly part of the procedure was obtaining references from my previous employers. I couldn't get a reply from one of them so I had to write a statement stating they wouldn't help, and I attached loads of payslips to prove I'd worked for them.

Get ready for lots of tedious paperwork hunting, endless photographs (of various sizes!) and paying for lots of couriering.

I had my medical done in Campbell River, BC and I managed to have the GP send the results straight to London. They don't want to do this, as they've been told to ignore the CHC London letters and send the results to Ottawa. I've been told that having the results sent to Ottawa causes a delay, but this might be hearsay.

I submitted my application to London in April 2008, and I sent off our passports to London for issuing of the PR visa a few days ago.

Hope this helps,

Sarah

PS It's better to get it done now - it's like pulling off a plaster - it's better to get it over with!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

snakebite will become famous soon enoughsnakebite will become famous soon enough

thanks for the replies everyone, that's a great help.
Thanks for the links Andrew.

Sarah, did you get Police certs as a matter of course? or do they ask for them if they need them?

So I guess that although my Wife has continuous employment and already permanent, will just need them to confirm it?

thanks!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by snakebite

Sarah, did you get Police certs as a matter of course? or do they ask for them if they need them?

So I guess that although my Wife has continuous employment and already permanent, will just need them to confirm it?

thanks!
I am sure you can apply to either , but I will do London if i were you and flagpole. good luck
Old Sep 13th 2008, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: TWP to PR

Originally Posted by snakebite

thanks!
Hi,

We were required to provide the police certificates with our full PR application.

We used the new ACPO service that costs about 40 UK pounds each.

Regarding your wife's continuous employment. The employer is not allowed to call TWP employment "permanent". They need to write you a letter for CHC London (to go with your application - stick at the top of the pile) stating that upon receiving Permanent Residency they will make her a permanent employee.

No matter what anyone else says - send the application to CHC London.

I plastered my brown envelope containing all my documents with stickers stating "Permanent Residency Application with Work Permit Employment - Please Expedite".

It all went into a Puroletter and they replied really quickly.

You'll both be required to provide a continuous list of your addresses since your were 18. I didn't include term-time addresses while I was at university. Even if you're not completely sure of dates, make a best guestimate and don't leave any gaps.

Same thing with the principal applicant's previous employer information. I left out one of my previous employer's references (it wasn't related to my current professional field) and I was asked to provide a reference even so.

I think all exam certificates, qualifications, birth certificates etc could be a photocopy but the police certificates had to be originals.

As the principal applicant, I was required to provide a copy of my degree certificate, and a transcript of my course. I tried to obtain one from my university, but they confirmed that a transcript wasn't available for my course. So I received an official university letter confirming this information.

I'm gonna write a book on this stuff!

Hope this helps,

Sarah
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

cheers sarah
I reckon you've got a career as an Immigration consultant beckoning!
great help.