Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP at Port of Entry only only if coming from US?

TWP at Port of Entry only only if coming from US?

Old Sep 8th 2021, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

just_jen_1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP at Port of Entry only only if coming from US?

Can anyone tell me why the IRCC website is still only showing that you can only get a TWP at the port of entry if you are coming from the US?

I assumed that from the 7th September once they opened the borders to fully vaccinated foreign nationals, they would of updated the site to say that you could apply for a TWP at the port of entry for most travellers but it's only showing for if you are travelling from the US.

Have I missed something here or does that mean I'm going to have to fly from the UK to somewhere in the US before then flying to Canada in order to apply for the TWP at the border?

We have all our supporting documentation, we have the LMIA and job offer which we have had since June, our application for a TWP was sent online over 9 weeks ago and as we have heard nothing yet we just want to book our flight and go and get a TWP at the border but I cannot make head nor tail of what we can and can't do via the IRCC site there's so much contradicting information.

Please can someone give me some direction here because I'm genuinely going around in circles and time is passing us by.

TIA 😀
Old Sep 8th 2021, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP at Port of Entry only only if coming from US?

You can't fly direct from the UK to the US now anyway, unless you're a green card holder or US citizen.

I assume they've just not updated it yet, as it only changed yesterday.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

christmasoompa maybe I'm a bit eager 🙄🤣🤗 you know if you do turn up for a TWP at the port of entry, do I complete the TWP there or take a completed one with me? Also, from other people who have done this have they given any indication as to how long it takes to process at the airport? Our LMIA says Permanent Resident next to where it asks what LMIA stream has been used incase that makes any difference?

I'm only wondering about processing times at the airport because we have to land in Calgary but have a connecting flight to Kelowna so wondered what happens when you have a connecting flight and don't have much time between flights.

christmasoompa
Old Sep 8th 2021, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by just_jen_1986 View Post
christmasoompa maybe I'm a bit eager 🙄🤣🤗 you know if you do turn up for a TWP at the port of entry, do I complete the TWP there or take a completed one with me? Also, from other people who have done this have they given any indication as to how long it takes to process at the airport? Our LMIA says Permanent Resident next to where it asks what LMIA stream has been used incase that makes any difference?

I'm only wondering about processing times at the airport because we have to land in Calgary but have a connecting flight to Kelowna so wondered what happens when you have a connecting flight and don't have much time between flights.

christmasoompa
Not that I issue them anymore but you don't fill out a TWP application at the POE. Providing you meet all the requirements and have all the relevant documentation the work permit is issued and any payments processed. Now dependent on how many in the CBSA/Immigration secondary office before you I have issued a work permit in less than 10 minutes but have spent several hours determining to issue one or not as the traveller was not prepared.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Former Lancastrian thank you for that. So basically as long as we turn up with all our supporting documentation in an organised manner then it shouldn't take too long to process...that's a relief as with two babies I have been having nightmare scenario's running through my head. I don't suppose you know whether it makes any difference that we have an application for the TWP in progress already do you? By that I mean it won't cause any problems turning up to do it at the airport when we've already applied but yet to receive a response. Thanks so much for your reply 😊
Old Sep 8th 2021, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be a problem as you have a positive LMIA and job offer. Now as for payment it used to be an issue when the traveller had no proof of payment.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

We have bank statements we can print before we leave to show our bank balance thankfully so that shouldn't be an issue Former Lancastrian as far as I can see from the IRCC site we have every piece of documentation required, we have the funds and the LMIA so the only thing I wasn't sure of was whether I complete an application before we depart to take with me but that's been clarified now which is great. 😀
Old Sep 8th 2021, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful This page was updated today and it still states workers can't apply at the POE unless coming from the US. I wouldn't assume IRCC have "forgotten" to update it. It may change or not or you might be lucky at the POE but the requirements to apply online is still there as of 8 September.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...n-workers.html

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 8th 2021 at 7:43 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Snowy560 nooooo don't say that 😭 it makes no sense though because why allow double vaccinated people in for tourism but don't allow double vaccinated people in who have an LMIA for a job which needs filling asap? Your response is why I'm bricking it about just turning up but I'm so desperate to get out there now and get my babies settled 😭
Old Sep 8th 2021, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

CBSA may well let you in but they may or may not issue you with Work Permits. It may all turn out well for you but it's as well you keep other possibilities in mind.

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 8th 2021 at 9:01 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Snowy560 I know there is the chance they'll let us in but won't grant us the TWP but Former Lancastrian did say that as we have a positive LMIA we should be fine so I'm holding onto that 🙈 I mean I'd feel better if I knew in % what the likely hood was we would be refused the TWP at the airport but maybe we just have to take a leap of faith on this one and in the meantime hope our application is approved before we even fly so we don't have to endure an anxiety riddled flight 😂